Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:35:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Author Topic: Beautiful Dreamer Music directors  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Lumbeat

• Chibi
Beautiful Dreamer Music directors
« on: June 18, 2007, 06:44:44 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm back online at this forum (after temporarily losing my password) and I have return to you with a very baffling question:  who is the music composer listed for the music soundtrack for Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer? The information I get online often conflicts, so to clear it up I'd like direct information that is listed on the original soundtrack cover, if that's possible, for accuracy.

The mixed-up info I've come across as the composers listed online:

Kenj Kawaii

Katsu Hoshi

Masaru Hoshi

Don't bother to look those names up online, I've already done that for hours and the conclusion I've come to is that Katsu Hoshi and Masaru Hoshi must be the same guy.  I need direct info either from the Mamoru Oshii interview (the 2004 American release from Central Park Media which I don't have in my possession) or from the original soundtrack cover which would provide direct information.

It's important for accuracy because it appears that no one online has made the effort to provided complete details on the Beautiful Dreamer composer details - and the sountrack is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard!  (For that matter, no info seemed to have been provided about any of the composers for all the other soundtracks too).

Anybody out there that has the information directly from the original soundtrack box pleeease let the world know so that we can get complete accuracy on the composer for that important and beautiful movie.  _/-\o_

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
Re: Beautiful Dreamer Music directors
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:55 AM »
To resume this;
Original music made:Masaru Hoshi 
Music composer:Kenji Kawaii
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 07:42:59 AM by Jataru »

Offline Lumbeat

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »
Thanks for the answer, Jataru.  However, I also need the source of information.  I can't post online "Jataru was nice enough to tell me that the composer was Kenji Kawai".  ::)

Or to word it better, where is that information you're giving me coming from? The information will be used as a source for other websites to clear up confusion.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:02:14 AM by Lumbeat »

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
You can go to this links

To Masaru Hoshi:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088334/combined

To Kenji Kawaii:http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/7739/musicians.html

Enjoy the information

Offline Lumbeat

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
Thanks, Jataru.  But I've seen both already - been there done that.  Check these out here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=4133

and here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/p/katsu_hoshi/

And also here (look at the sub-heading name listed on the soundtrack details below the Katsu Hoshi heading):

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=225227

And look through here (scroll way down to Japanese staff and find Music on the list after Script):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=647

As for the Kenji Kawai source you have listed you are mis-reading the information, although that's not your fault.  It's the way it's written:

"Kenji Kawai is the composer for Ranma 1/2. He is considered a top composer in the anime world, and has worked on such classic series as Maison Ikkoku and Ghost in the Shell."

STOP! End of information. 

Next line:

"Mamoru Oshii, director of Ghost in the Shell and Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer has worked with Kawai three times..."

[the line is NOT saying Kawai did the music to Beautiful Dreamer among the three times. It is just saying that Oshii worked with Kawai three times only - nothing specific].

Not your fault.

But I did say looking around online for the current information is contradictory.

So we are right back where we started, which is this: that Katsu Hoshi and Masaru Hoshi appears to be the same person, and also what is it exactly that is listed on the original soundtrack box or in the Central Park Media Oshii interview so that we can help clear up the confusion a little?   Anyone have access to the original soundtrack box? _/-\o_ 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:23:41 AM by Lumbeat »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
I am really confused...  ???:?

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 07:47:44 PM »
indeed
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:09:52 AM »
I have to agree with both of you...  :?

Kenji Kawai(i)?! :/ I'm sure is not that cute... especially after seeing is picture... LoL
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline Lumbeat

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:59:14 AM »
According to IMDb information and Wikipedia, Kenji Kawai credentials for soundtrack music goes back only to 1986 (Beautiful Dreamer is a 1984 film).  Before 1986, Kenji Kawai composed music for commercials in his home studio and music for radio broadcast before turning to scoring his first soundtrack (a recommendation from a friend) in 1986 for Ranma 1/2:

After disbanding of Muse [an early rock band] Kenij Kawai begn compose music to commercials in his home studio. While recording music for radio actor Yuji Mitsuya he met music director Naoko Asari, who advised him to compose anime soundtracks. Some of his work for anime soundtracks are in movies such as Ranma ½ , Ghost in the Shell or in well known lately Death Note. - Wikipedia

Everywhere I look, Masaru Hoshi and Katsu Hoshi are either listed interchangable for the movies Beautiful Dreamer ('84) and Only Yesterday ('91), and also have been listed together only once as an alternate name.  I've found in a U.C. Riverside College computer catalogue the Central Park Media detailed specs information of Beautiful Dreamer with Katsu Hoshi listed as music composer.

With Masuru Hoshi listed in IMDb here:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0395943/   (no.4 Only Yesterday 1991, and no.12 Beautiful Dreamer 1984)

That backs up this information here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=225227

And Here:

http://prelive.channel4.com/film/reviews/person.jsp?id=65012

which ties the knot on both Masaru and Katsu Hoshi as being the same man for the same films.

The reason for the mix-up may be that the Japanese Character for Masaru and Katsu may look the same or is the same.  The only way to find out is to ask someone from Japan.  Think I'll work on that next.

What led me to this search was that there was a comment online at Amazon.com, not from the official reviewer but a consumer's comment, that Beautiful Dreamer was scored by Kenji Kawai.  The person was being sincere (and I would have, could have believed it since I love the Beautiful Dreamer soundtrack so much), but I still thought that I'd check on it.  Kenji Kawai as composer on the Urusei Yatsura masterpiece is obviously not correct (I wonder how many people believed it?).

Yes, I guess looking cute (or not cute) is not enough for believability, although I do love Kenji Kawai's Ghost in the Shell and Irresponsible Captain Tylor soundtracks – great music. 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:11:58 AM by Lumbeat »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
Thank you very much for the explanation.

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »
indeed
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.