Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Author Topic: Please help me find the info on a particular episode  (Read 10249 times)

Offline stelok

• Registered
Please help me find the info on a particular episode
« on: July 08, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »
In an episode of the anime Urusei Yatsura, Ataru was wearing a yellow jumpsuit with black stripes while trying to court Mendou's sister who is sporting nunchakus. Both Ataru's yellow tracksuit and the Mendou sister's nunchakus clearly are a homage to Bruce lee.

I remembered watching that episode a long ago on cable television channel and I don't own video copy of the series

I was wondering what the particular episode's title and number is?

I needed a credible source about the info to link  on Wikipedia as proof of my claim so the administrators would not delete the info I added to these articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee_and_popular_culture#Anime_and_Manga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Death#The_yellow_tracksuit

Offline lumzombie

• Chibi
Re: Please help me find the info on a particular e
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:34:16 PM »
Since sometimes it takes a while to get a response, and since your entry in Wickapedia is at stake, I suggest clicking on third option on right "Episode Guide" and scroll through.  I just did a quick (extremely quick) check of all 60 pages of video captures and didn't see any yellow jump suits but most pictures (thankfully) concentrate on Lum...

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
Re: Please help me find the info on a particular episode
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 01:20:53 AM »
I do remember some episodes where Ataru shows up in a tracksuit, now if it was yellow whit black stripes that I dont remember.

73. The Mendo Older Brother & Younger Sister!

This episode introduces Mendo's younger sister Ryoko. On he way to school, Ataru is scared white by Ryoko in her Death guise. At school, Ryoko tries to feed her brother lunch; but Mendo is wise to her tricks. Ataru nobly offers to be fed the lunch, but Lum intervenes. Ryoko then makes an offer for Ataru to visit her for a Romeo and Juliet rendezvous. Mendo and Lum try their best to stop this meeting.

84. The Mendo Family's Masquerade War

Ryoko invites Ataru over for a masquerade and Mendo gets a billion others to also show up for a masquerade battle. Ataru tries desperately to get to Ryoko despite the attempts of Lum, Mendo, and others.

134. Deadly Combat! The Mendo Family's Flower Display Death Match

Something has been causing trouble with it's late night snacking anywhere it pleases, and it turns out to be Ryoko's pet cherry blossom tree. When the tree eats a leg off each of Shutaro's octopi, he stages a wrestling match between his secret police and Ryoko's tree. But Ataru and Lum get in on the fight.

Its probably one of these 3... or maybe not...
Its better if you look only for the title and ignore the episode number, because I noticed that some count with the TV specials and others don't.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 01:24:04 AM by FallinG_StaR »
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline Koroshiya Megane 13

• Professional Fast-Food Fighter
  • Casual Fan
  • Well, why would you keep folding it?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:51:12 PM »
I believe the episode you're looking for is #84 (The Mendo Family's Masquerade War).

Offline stelok

• Registered
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 05:21:11 AM »
Thanks so much, guys. I have inserted the links you suggested in the Wiki articl as its sources.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:27:32 AM by stelok »

Offline zakezuke

• Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »
Thanks so much, guys. I have inserted the links you suggested in the Wiki articl as its sources.

The Animiego title and Japanese title would be
Episode #61 Story #84 "Mendou Family Masked Ball", "面堂家仮面ぶとう会" (mendouke kamenbutoukai)
http://www.animeigo.com/Liner/UYTV11-20.t [info temporarily unavailable] 
But lucky for us the PDF includes those notes
http://www.animeigo.com/liner/uytv16.pdf
"The key pun of this story is in its title. "Butookai" is normally written with a pair of kanji that mean
"ball." "Kamen butookai" would then mean "fancy dress ball" or "masquerade ball." But by using
a different pair of kanji for the "butoo" in "butookai," a pair which means "martial arts," the
meaning of "kamen butookai" instead becomes "masked martial arts party." The confusion
surrounding this notion is central to this episode."
"Among the characters appearing in the fight scene: Majinger Z (note Kabuto Koji getting kicked
out of helicopter when "Majinger Z" gets kicked), Elle, Masked Bride, the Zaku from the original
Kidoo Senshi Gundam, ET, Alien, Char Azanable, Mr. Spock, Gekkoo Kamen, and Darth Vader."
-Animeigo Liner notes #16 page 2-3

http://www.kumagaya.or.jp/~toba/urusei/urusei_tv23.html [japanese]

Enclosed are the Screenshots in question. 

While I can't say I know the jumpsuit, I can in the episode Ryooko's Kamishibai guards make it a point to dress Ataru Moroboshi in this jumpsuit before facing the master of marshal arts.  But given all the other pop culture references in this episode, a Bruce Lee one would not shock me. 

This episode is included on the Animeigo and Fuji release Volume #16
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0006A9I8O/ref=dp_image_0/102-5664202-6639360?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QYOE.09-ATVPDKIKX0DER._PE00_OU09_SCMZZZZZZZ_V57153258_.jpg

You may also wish to consult the Wide-ban volume #6 ( (ISBN4-09-122806-2) ) Chapter 023, pages 369-384.  I don't have the wide-ban, but this is where it would be at.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:25:15 AM by zakezuke »

Offline stelok

• Registered
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:50:15 PM »

The Animiego title and Japanese title would be
Episode #61 Story #84 "Mendou Family Masked Ball", "面堂家仮面ぶとう会" (mendouke kamenbutoukai)
http://www.animeigo.com/Liner/UYTV11-20.t [info temporarily unavailable] 
But lucky for us the PDF includes those notes
http://www.animeigo.com/liner/uytv16.pdf
"The key pun of this story is in its title. "Butookai" is normally written with a pair of kanji that mean
"ball." "Kamen butookai" would then mean "fancy dress ball" or "masquerade ball." But by using
a different pair of kanji for the "butoo" in "butookai," a pair which means "martial arts," the
meaning of "kamen butookai" instead becomes "masked martial arts party." The confusion
surrounding this notion is central to this episode."
"Among the characters appearing in the fight scene: Majinger Z (note Kabuto Koji getting kicked
out of helicopter when "Majinger Z" gets kicked), Elle, Masked Bride, the Zaku from the original
Kidoo Senshi Gundam, ET, Alien, Char Azanable, Mr. Spock, Gekkoo Kamen, and Darth Vader."
-Animeigo Liner notes #16 page 2-3

http://www.kumagaya.or.jp/~toba/urusei/urusei_tv23.html [japanese]

Enclosed are the Screenshots in question. 

Yup, that IS the episode I remembered watching. Now I see Ataru's jumpsuit in the screenshots, i've realized its color is orange, not yellow. So much for my "good" memory.

While I can't say I know the jumpsuit, I can in the episode Ryooko's Kamishibai guards make it a point to dress Ataru Moroboshi in this jumpsuit before facing the master of marshal arts.  But given all the other pop culture references in this episode, a Bruce Lee one would not shock me. 

True, For example, I noticed a portrait of Mr. Spock in Wrath of Khan era- (scarlet red) Starfleet Uniform in Four-Eyes's room where Four-Eyes was indulging in his fantasy that he has Lum all to himself because he thought Ataru "resigned and gave" Lum to him. It turns out he resigned his position as class president. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:57:25 PM by stelok »

Offline zakezuke

• Registered
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »

Yup, that IS the episode I remembered watching. Now I see Ataru's jumpsuit in the screenshots, i've realized its color is orange, not yellow. So much for my "good" memory.

True, For example, I noticed a portrait of Mr. Spock in Wrath of Khan era- (scarlet red) Starfleet Uniform in Four-Eyes's room where Four-Eyes was indulging in his fantasy that he has Lum all to himself because he thought Ataru "resigned and gave" Lum to him. It turns out he resigned his position as class president. 

Yes there are a ton of popculture referneces the likes of which I can only notice half of.  Like the Iscandar reference in the first episode to Yamato (Star Blazers) and the sex change gun making the infamous sound of the wave motion gun also in Yamato (star blazers). 

But now you know the episode and disc number you can get it.  The "Devil of Marshal arts" inside the Mendou tower does make it a point to say shi alot while doing his shi no mai (note i'm horrible at transcribing japanese, could ge gashi no mai), which could be dance of death.  He chants away ni-nin ga shi... 二-人 が æ­». Two people Death.   Where this could be read  二-二 が å›› ni ni ga yon or ni ni ga shi, which would be two two four assuming i'm transcribing this correctly (note I don't know Japanese).  But with all this "shi, shi, ga shi shi shi" by the "Devil of Marshal arts" I thought this  dance of death, Shi no mai æ­» の 舞 could be a reference to a film title.

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~takeboh/lee/film.html

But it seems "Game of Death" is titled in Japanese 死亡遊戯 "Shibou Yuugi"  
Tower of Death is   æ­»äº¡ の å¡” "Shibou no tou"
GOD is well, G.O.D 死亡 的 遊戯 "Shibou Teki Yuugi"
[note, as I don't know Japanese, take my transcriptions with a grain of salt]

So while "i'd" like to make a connection between "shi shi ga shi shi shi" and the whole slew of shibou titles for Bruce Lee films, I can't make one.  But since you've actually seen Game of Death perhaps you could pickup volume 16 and see for your self. 

Offline Zol

• Registered
  • The Loner
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 12:38:42 PM »
I noticed in ep 129 Death Fight ! Ataru VS. the Mendo Army, Ryooko's guards give Ataru a motorcycle and it then refrences The Great Escape (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115/). They even have a scene that seems like its right from the movie (where he jumps the fence). I find that even funnier because Mendo's personal army (sometimes) looks basically like the German Wehrmacht cerca WW2.

Guess it was alittle off topic. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:40:56 PM by Zol »

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 03:28:38 AM »
No, you're rigth in UY there's alot of references to the WW2 Axis...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:30:24 AM by FallinG_StaR »
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 04:50:39 AM »
Mendo even has a WW2 tank

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 06:01:03 AM »