Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 6
Total: 6

Author Topic: A good or bad schoolgirl?  (Read 11914 times)

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
Re: A good or bad schoolgirl?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
Yeah, Mozzart, Einstein, Darwin, Da Vinci had a HUGE amount of intelligence. Guess what? Not a single one of us are close of that. Yet, we can use computers, get transplanted, go to the moon (for money), etc.

If you want to compare alien's IQ to a random Earth person, then you must be sure that their equal. What's the point of comparing Einstein's IQ with a random average person? Their not on the same class. If Lum could actually create something, then the conversation would be different but all she does is assemble mechanical parts, fire guns and pilot spaceships. We, random humans can build buildings, bridges, highways, assemble furniture, fire guns and drive cars.

In my perspective, Lum's IQ is average. There's not someone in UY who is the "smart kid". Not even Megane, the typical glasses nerdy guy.

So, you want to see who's smarter? Chose the most intelligent alien and chose the most intelligent human and then we'll see. Of course aliens would win BUT picking Lum won't work.

Of course it works, if you exclude political correctness.
Lum is smarter at most things than any of the kids in Tomobiki high school. She is not a nerdy smart kid but she can do a lot more than the average kid in Tomobiki and that is who you compare to, her peers, not intellectual giants.
I coulduse your same arguement to prove that men and women aren't equal in sports for example. Take the very best man at whatever sport and the very best woman and let them go head to head in any Olympic sport, not in the mens class but on an equal field no adjusting for times due to gender and men will win every time. Why? Because athletically men have more muscles than women which is why the Olympics has a womens class and does not compete directly against men.

Lum is not being judged as the example for her entire race, just the kids she goes to her high school with.
If you did it your way then you would have to compare the best of the Oniboshi vs the best of Earth and it wouldn't even be close since we cannot even travel to Mars nevermind other solar systems and other dimensions.

This whole equality thing is another strawman arguement. I'm sure you'll be sending me another private email....
Why keep a dog and bark yourself?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »
Redacted, all you've talked about has been unrelated to "being smart"

The word you're looking for here is SKILL, the ability to do something.

Lum can build and pilot stuff because she has the SKILL to do so, not because she is smart >.>

Is a person who can drive a car definitely smarter than someone who can't? That's very little to go by, but it' essentially what you've been trying to use as evidence, swap the car for alien tech handling.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 09:06:15 AM »
So you are saying that you do not need to be smart in order to have skills?
I would say it depends on what those skills are. Can you take a person with say an 8th grade education (for example) and teach them the skills to pilot the space shuttle and all that is required? I'm highly doubtful that you could.
I was a tradesman, Machinist although I've moved on and you certainly need skills to be a machinist but you also need to be fairly smart.
Lum certainly has skills but she also is pretty smart when it comes to tech stuff. She's not so bright when it comes to relationships or cooking.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
LoL? You don't even know if Lum's species love Lum's cooking! Lum is supposed to cook by her race's standards. Too bad if Ataru can't eat. x)

Right because you can't teach a dumb person to work out with a TV or a computer. Hmm... I wonder why my grandfather who was judge (one of the hardest things you can achieve in Portugal) can't work with computers or figure out to turn on a TV and change the channel. O.o

Do we become more dumb as we get old? No! It's because my grandfather isn't interested in that kind of knowledge. If you teach a kid about how to drive a spaceship, he may be able to learn it. It all depends on how you explain it to him. If you go around talking math with him, give up. But if you go like "when this goes on, press this" or "evade that" and voilá. He'll be good at it just like if it was a game.

I could never come up with the concept of electricity and my whole life is surrounded by it! Man, aren't I smart?

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Lum's cooking is far too spicey for earth people. But regardless of the fact that your grandfather was a judge and couldn't operate a VCR isn't a big deal because it's irrelevant to the main point which is Lum is faar smarter and can do more than any of the high school kids in UY and probably on a college level with college kids from Tomobiki.
So no she probably didn't invent anything like electricity but then again neither has any of the Tomobiki college kids.
You really draw out your point of comparing apples to Buicks.
Lum can certainly operate a spaceship but she can also do the math involved in figuring out a destination. Lum is smarter than you give her credit for. Grandfathers notwithstanding.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »
Can you take a person with say an 8th grade education (for example) and teach them the skills to pilot the space shuttle and all that is required?

Ummm.... Yes, I'm pretty sure that is plausible.

Lum is faar smarter and [...] probably on a college level.

LMAO

okay, if you want to prove your point, you're going to have to point out to us a case from the manga or anime where she demonstrates actual intelligence on a high level

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 05:45:51 AM »
Can you take a person with say an 8th grade education (for example) and teach them the skills to pilot the space shuttle and all that is required?

Ummm.... Yes, I'm pretty sure that is plausible.

Lum is faar smarter and [...] probably on a college level.

LMAO

okay, if you want to prove your point, you're going to have to point out to us a case from the manga or anime where she demonstrates actual intelligence on a high level

Lum has very poor judgement when it comes to guys, since she picked Rei and then later Ataru. However showing poor judgement about relationships doesn't make her stupid overall. College isn't all that hard, I went and it was a lot of memorization except for Philosophy and then Ethics, those were pretty tough and had a 75% dropout rate.
Anyway think what you want about Lum, I still think she's as smart as most college kids and since more than a few of my wife's relatives didn't even make it to the 8th grade, in her country. I'd love to see you get one of them to even speak english nevermind teaching them to pilot the space shuttle which likely you can't even do.
Lum has her cluseless moments and can be a bit ditzy, but she doesn't really study at all in Tomobiki and still is passing. If she wasn't Onsen mark would be in her face about it.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 07:12:59 AM »
I never tried to use her ditzyness as an excuse/proof that she isn't smart.  You're right, poor judgement about relationships doesn't make her stupid.  Hell, I never said she was STUPID, what I'm doing is disagreeing with you on how smart she is, since you appear to be under the impression she is college level. 

I still think she's as smart as most college kids and since more than a few of my wife's relatives didn't even make it to the 8th grade, in her country.

.... What the hell does that have to do with anything? 0.0

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »
I never tried to use her ditzyness as an excuse/proof that she isn't smart.  You're right, poor judgement about relationships doesn't make her stupid.  Hell, I never said she was STUPID, what I'm doing is disagreeing with you on how smart she is, since you appear to be under the impression she is college level. 

I still think she's as smart as most college kids and since more than a few of my wife's relatives didn't even make it to the 8th grade, in her country.

.... What the hell does that have to do with anything? 0.0

It has everything to do with it since you claim it is plausible to teach someone with an 8th grade education how to fly the space shuttle. I seriously doubt that it's possible and some of my wife's relatives are not above 8th grade and really aren't smart enough to learn how to fly the space shuttle or other technical tasks. In the end you can't prove that Lum isn't at earth college level, you just have an opinion, same as myself. The only one who actually knows the answer is Rumiko Takahashi and I doubt either of us will get her to answer that question.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
Plausible means that it could happen, I never said EVERYONE can be taught to fly a ship.  Some people's brains don't work in such a way that they can pic up such skills.

As for proof, I have more than you do >.>

We actually SEE her having trouble taking a test! How the hell is that not evidence?  It's certainly better than you saying "she can operate a ship, therefore she is super smart"

Piloting her ship doesn't seem too difficult when it FLIES ITSELF on autopilot.  She probably just presses a few buttons and then the program takes over from there.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
Ataru can't even reach Rei's heels when it comes to being a bad match!

Anyways, what's college knowledge? Do you know how many degrees there are? How the heck are you going to compare a math student with a med student?

None of us are saying that Lum is stupid or dumb. Me and UruseiNeo are just saying that we doubt that Lum is a super-genious.

And to complete this post, I'll just state this: Onsen-Mark doesn't care about grades. You know why I claim this? Because he's always on Ataru's business. Ataru's is his worst student ever so he's Onsen-Mark's worst enemy in UY.  I highly doubt that other than Mendou, Shinobu and a few other nameless characters get high grades. Lum doesn't get yelled at by Onsen-Mark because she's an alien girl. And also because he's too obcessed with Ataru.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
Plausible means that it could happen, I never said EVERYONE can be taught to fly a ship.  Some people's brains don't work in such a way that they can pic up such skills.

As for proof, I have more than you do >.>

We actually SEE her having trouble taking a test! How the hell is that not evidence?  It's certainly better than you saying "she can operate a ship, therefore she is super smart"

Piloting her ship doesn't seem too difficult when it FLIES ITSELF on autopilot.  She probably just presses a few buttons and then the program takes over from there.

You see now you are qualifying previous statements. My wife has trouble taking tests sometimes, yet she has a 4.0 GPA.
I don't see Lum taking tests all the much and most of what we do see is in Onsen Marks class which is English, so she has trouble with English, for all we know she could me a whiz at math. I also never said she was "super smart" I said i believe she is at human earh college level IN Tomobiki. I never said she was at MIT level or even Todai. Community College in a small city, yes.

My friend is a pilot who until recently flew 747 cargo jets for UPS. He'll get a kick out of your comment. I also had a private pilots license way back. I think the autopilot remark is from a lack of knowledge as to how autoplot works. I used to fly a Cessna 172. We had a sort of autopilot on that, nothing much but it helped on a long flight.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
Ataru can't even reach Rei's heels when it comes to being a bad match!

Anyways, what's college knowledge? Do you know how many degrees there are? How the heck are you going to compare a math student with a med student?

None of us are saying that Lum is stupid or dumb. Me and UruseiNeo are just saying that we doubt that Lum is a super-genious.

And to complete this post, I'll just state this: Onsen-Mark doesn't care about grades. You know why I claim this? Because he's always on Ataru's business. Ataru's is his worst student ever so he's Onsen-Mark's worst enemy in UY.  I highly doubt that other than Mendou, Shinobu and a few other nameless characters get high grades. Lum doesn't get yelled at by Onsen-Mark because she's an alien girl. And also because he's too obcessed with Ataru.

Ok you need to find where i ssaid Lum was a super genius, because I never did. I said she is at college level in Tomobiki. Granted it's been about 30 years since I went to college but most college subjects are basics. It's after that that you take specialized courses.

Onsen Mark is an English teacher but i agree he is more about dedication than actual grades. I taught ESL in the Philippines to Korean students at CPILS. So I know a little bit about teaching English and Onsen Mark is not a native speaker so his focus is going to be on more than just grades which come in the form of tests. He does a lot of class reading as well. His biggest problem is not letting the class read more than he does.
Also he was hired by the principal as a strict disciplinarian to tame the wildest class in the school. He was corrupted by Lum as he fell for her on that date they went out on. Then he totally lost it and became as crazy as the students. There was a full episode about it.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 10:46:10 PM »
I think you're starting to think too realistcally on this.  You need to understand that in anime, although this might be unlikely in real life, ships are perfectly capable of operating on their own through super advanced mechanics.  My point being Lum doesn't need to be smart to operate it, just to know what button(s) to push.

And seriously dude, did you really think that when I said anyone can learn to pilot a ship I meant I could learn it in a few weeks? F*** no! Obviously it takes a lot of training and lessons, etc. to become qualified to do so.  I'm saying that given time, at the very least most people should be able to BECOME qualified.

Here's where we stand:

Me/Cata: provided plausible information to why Lum isn't as smart as you insist she is.

You: For your claim that she is college level, you have only used speculation based on what we have failed to see in the anime.

You can't use "this has not happened" as evidence.

To finish my post, I feel I need to remind everyone: This is a f***ing anime.  And as the main character, things tend to go in Lum's favor regardless of whether its high school or other important things (with exception to her relationship with Ataru because otherwise UY wouldn't be what it is).  The reason why Onsen-Mark doesn't bother her? Maybe its cause the fans and the writer like it when Lum wins.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
To finish my post, I feel I need to remind everyone: This is a f***ing anime.  And as the main character, things tend to go in Lum's favor regardless of whether its high school or other important things (with exception to her relationship with Ataru because otherwise UY wouldn't be what it is).  The reason why Onsen-Mark doesn't bother her? Maybe its cause the fans and the writer like it when Lum wins.

Well sure it's an anime or a cartoon if you like. My favorite part of anime and cartoons is the detachment from reality. If I want reality I'll watch Top Shot or Mythbusters. I just think you and Cata are wrong about Lum being smart and IRL teaching people is harder than you think.
Lum wins because she is awesome. The real world and UY have little in common.