Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:47:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Author Topic: Urusei Yatsura, Making its mark  (Read 13685 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Urusei Yatsura, Making its mark
« on: April 30, 2009, 06:00:36 AM »
According to Veoh, about 2 years ago (before the episodes were even uploaded), the number of Urusei Yatsura related videos was a mere 26. Today, that number has reached 386. That's about 1400% increase over 2 years 0.0

According to youtube, about 2 years ago, the number of videos related to Urusei Yatsura in one way or another was almost 80, the first of which dates back to over three years ago. This would give the impression of about 80 videos a year on average.

Today, that number has jumped to nearly 2600! That amounts to an increase of almost 3200%!!!

Keep in mind though, that almost all the episodes were tagged as "UY" instead of "Urusei Yatsura" to hide them, meaning that you could add another 195 x 3 + 6(movies)x10 videos ON TOP of that!

I think it is clear that Urusei Yatsura is making its mark on youtube now, and making a comeback.

I also think that we all know that this forum, nay, this website has made an enormous contribution to this outcome.

Let's all keep doing our part in making the world of Urusei Yatsura known to the world!!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:03:27 AM by UruseiNeo »

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline amazome

• Registered
Re: Urusei Yatsura, Making its mark
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »
Maybe it's because those video services are simply growing in popularity, thus more people go to them including fans of UY.

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »
Maybe it's because those video services are simply growing in popularity, thus more people go to them including fans of UY.
Meh, I don't think so.
Well yes those video streaming sites are relativly new but it is also true that more and more people wants to know more about UY, more and more people make videos about UY while UY is not even on air! It's an old anime that is coming back to life after soo much time away from the screens

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »
more and more people want to know more about UY, more and more people make videos about UY while UY is not even on air! It's an old anime that is coming back to life after so much time away from the screens.

Yes, exactly, that was the point I was trying to address with this topic.

I really think we as a group should make some kind of UY project. Something big, something that will get the fans roaring.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:17:57 PM »
more and more people want to know more about UY, more and more people make videos about UY while UY is not even on air! It's an old anime that is coming back to life after so much time away from the screens.

Yes, exactly, that was the point I was trying to address with this topic.

I really think we as a group should make some kind of UY project. Something big, something that will get the fans roaring.
I agree... but to what? there's some plenty thing to do
Should we do a fanmade dub in english for UY? (HAHAAHHA!) or maybe translate some of the UY game for the old console or make a "video" translation of the DS UY game Endless summer (for each dialogue we do the translation and we put the translated video on youtube... it's much easier that translate the whole game) or maybe do some flash video about UY or make some GOOOD dating sim game about UY.
See? there's a lot of things to do and those are only the first ones that came into my mind! But... we need to create something of good quality and for doing it we need people that can do their job very well (programmers for flash games, flash artist, good dubbers... ahhaahhah!!) but don't worry we'll find something to do.
Just say, I'm up for everything ;)

PS: I have a suggestion for now, let's make this forum more "alive"... I mean the forum right now is great, really... I've never seen so much people interested in UY at the same time, but... I think that we should "spread the word"... bring more users, make more topics, post more often (if they can of course).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:24:51 PM by Tassadarh »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:57:52 PM »
As long as those members don't misbehave, I'm fine with it. I guess the four musketeers, I mean, the four mods will have to work harder. xD

Tass: posting a lot doesn't mean a good Forum. If most of the topics are "useless" if we take into consideration that this is a Forum dedicated mostly to Lum and Urusei Yatsura, then it wouldn't be a good Forum, would it?

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »
As long as those members don't misbehave, I'm fine with it. I guess the four musketeers, I mean, the four mods will have to work harder. xD

Tass: posting a lot doesn't mean a good Forum. If most of the topics are "useless" if we take into consideration that this is a Forum dedicated mostly to Lum and Urusei Yatsura, then it wouldn't be a good Forum, would it?
humm true true :\  I was just trying to give as much ideas as I could ^^.
The problem is that I usually visit veeery crowded forums and I'm used to have a forum where someone is always posting. But anyway the forum is all right now, people are kind and there's always something to talk about

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:20:13 AM »
Okay so current suggestions are:

1. Fandub

2. Translate "My Dear Friends"

3. Translate "Endless Summer"

4. Flash UY Video

5. Date Sim

---------------------------

I have almost everything I need to do a fandub, all I need are people to help dub it. Finding a way to separate BGM from the voices would be nice, but until then, we would have to use the Music Tracks provided on this site.

For the two translate projects, we need at least one person who can fully read and understand everything said in the game. I am not capable of such as I only know Basic Japanese. If provided with a translation, we could easily pull this off once we get in game footage.

I'm not too good with flash but I know how to use it. The only real problem is the lack of quality drawings to animate.

I don't know how we would make a date sim??

I would like to add one more thing to that list:

6. Start a craze

Examples of current crazes(right word?) would be "Rick Rolling," the "Caramelldansen," and "It's over NINE THOUSAND!!!"
If we could create a craze, then each of us could post it on our individual youtube accounts, maybe even make each user have a slightly modified version to make it look like a parody of the original.

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »
Okay so current suggestions are:

1. Fandub

2. Translate "My Dear Friends"

3. Translate "Endless Summer"

4. Flash UY Video

5. Date Sim

---------------------------

I have almost everything I need to do a fandub, all I need are people to help dub it. Finding a way to separate BGM from the voices would be nice, but until then, we would have to use the Music Tracks provided on this site.

For the two translate projects, we need at least one person who can fully read and understand everything said in the game. I am not capable of such as I only know Basic Japanese. If provided with a translation, we could easily pull this off once we get in game footage.

I'm not too good with flash but I know how to use it. The only real problem is the lack of quality drawings to animate.

I don't know how we would make a date sim??

I would like to add one more thing to that list:

6. Start a craze

Examples of current crazes(right word?) would be "Rick Rolling," the "Caramelldansen," and "It's over NINE THOUSAND!!!"
If we could create a craze, then each of us could post it on our individual youtube accounts, maybe even make each user have a slightly modified version to make it look like a parody of the original.

Ok let's start

1. Fandub

I thought that because we have almost all the UY music tracks and sound loops (like Lum flying, elettroshocks and so on) on the site... right?
We have the EXACT translation on the youtube video or on the DVD... we only need good dubbers.
We could do an English dub or in other languages (as far as I can see there's a lot of portuguese on these forums... is there a dubbed version of UY in portugal?) but we need even good recording tools... and that could be a bit hard.
Anyway if we menage to came up to something, try to choose right dubbers who can imitate at least the original jappanise voice... like someone who can speak like Lum voice... I think that SandStorm is our Ataru asd

2. Translate "my dear friends" 3. Translate "Endless Summer"
This should be easy. We need to use a game cam inside the emulator.. then we take the video we add the english language over the jappanise one (just copy the texture of the chat box over the japp letters and then we just need to write in Eng) then we add the video on youtube so the when the people use the emulator and don't know what the game is saying they go on youtube searching our videos
We could even try to translate the games for real, but we need something who's very capable in programming... humm we could release a flash version of the game even so we don't have those problems...
But still.. we need a good translator ^^ I don't know even a word in jappanise

4. Flash UY Video
The fanmade Flash videos are really common on the web... try to go on newgrounds... it's full of flash fanmade videos... search something about metal gear, super mario, zelda or resident evil... tons of fans have made good quality of flash videos, but no UY videos humm.. how sad.

5. Dating sim game

Whooh... this is the final level!
I think we shouldn't think about it right now... making such hard game from nothing is not a good idea.
Anyway if we menage to do it we could use fanarts or even anime image for the UY... and if someone of us understand how to use flash very well, it could be quite awsome... i have plenty ideas about the gameplay...
We just need some artist to do the characters, backgrounds, interface and items and that's over usually the things on a dating sim are pretty static, we don't need moving characters, mabye just different image depending on the mood or the situation (exemple: Normal Lum, Sad Lum, Angry Lum, Lum doing electroshock, happy Lum, Scared Lum, Lum on kimono, Lum on swimsuit and so on... but we just need the necessary for the game.. if we don't need a scared cherry.. well we don't draw it :P)...
We can even use existing image for our characters... like screenshot from the anime for the games' background...
Anyway I'm sure that everybody could give tons of ideas for the dating sim (try this one if you haven't seen a dating sim before http://flashgamesite.com/play328game.html ) but now we should concentrate on more simple things... at least for now ;)

Now..
6. Start a craze
Humm.. like "IM A CHARGIN MA LAZOR"? So basicaly video without a meaning?... what about an AMV of UY like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHd2qUihxE
if you understand italian a little... you are gonna laugh your butt out from your face ^^
anyway really good idea Uru ^^

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 12:21:26 AM »
UY wasn't dubbed in portuguese. UY was dubbed in italian, english (not the complete series, though) and spanish.

Maybe this is a stupid question but... is there a chance that we are going get trouble for even trying to do this?

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »
UY wasn't dubbed in portuguese. UY was dubbed in italian, english (not the complete series, though) and spanish.

Maybe this is a stupid question but... is there a chance that we are going get trouble for even trying to do this?
Huumm.. that's not a stupid question.
Well... tecnicaly.. yes we are gonna get trouble for doing it... but let's consider that UY is no longer on air for... well 20 years or so? and the whole series is online on youtube... and even worst we have a site with the whole UY sound effects!
But on the other hand, let's consider this: It's fan-made so absolutely no cost production the worst thing we can get is get our videos flagged from youtube, as long as we are doing just for fun or not to make money, we are safe, we won't get hurt.
oh and by the way I don't want to make money from this things and I'm sure that none of us want ;)

EDIT: I've got a better answer. Put this every 5 minutes in every UY video we make:
"Characters Copyright Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukun/Fuji Communications/Kitty Films.
Original fan artwork remains the right of its creator / rights holder.
These items displayed on a non-profit basis for fan enjoyment only.
No copyright infringement is intended. "
But still, the worst thing we can get by doing those dub or translation is to get our videos flagged from youtube

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:18:30 AM by Tassadarh »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:48:28 AM »
Jaa, of the six items, are there any that we can eliminate for the time being?

Or maybe we can group them by our ability to produce the item.

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 01:12:46 AM »
Humm I think we should try doing something easy, just to begin and get used to teamwork or stuff like that.
The fandub is.. well a bit hard we need a lot of voice actors, I suggest to dub episode ONE and see if it's worth to continue (if we menage to start that project).
the translation... well as I've already said we need to go to japan find someone who can talk jappaniese and english, kidnap him/her and force him to translate the text of the game screenshot after screenshot... ok where's my black flag and my parrot?...
About the flash video... well we need someone who can draw good flash characters and animate them... then we need a storyline... than voice actors!... or we can just use jappanise languages (none can understand jappanise lol) and sub it... lol no.
Anyway just to give an exemple watch this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/332880
Is a fan-made flash of a cartoon called invader zim (it has been canceled, but still the fans do things like these) and it's pretty well done, it looks like watching the real cartoon.
I think if we want to do something like a flash video we should start doing shorts and than make something more complex.
I saw a Flash video training somewhere in newgrounds but I can't find it right now... it was even in the front page....
anyway the dating sim is a direct consequence of the flash video, if we can't do a flash video of UY we can't do a Dating sim... still the dating sim is the choice that I like most (and the most impossible one ^^) but with the time we can do anything.

I think we should start a craze or something, it's the most logical thing to do, and even the more easy.
anyway has someone saw the AMV? we should try do something like that too, it's something like a craze but with much more style... like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00BF7e_BYu4 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOVvKggLr4A&feature=related

ok... in my opinion we should

1. Make a craze or two with UY charachter
2. Make hilarious AMV or very deep touching AMV about UY
3. Translate at least some of the games screenshot.. at least some of the dialogue and the basic menu so that the people understand what these jappanise sign mean.
4. Make a flash video of UY
5. Make a flash version of the UY game that we have translated
6. Make a GOOD dating sim about UY

these are my suggestions... any more ideas?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:24:10 AM by Tassadarh »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 01:21:42 AM »
K, let's focus on craze.

First thing we need to do is find a really really catchy song/music

until then, we shouldn't be too focused on what to put on it - the music is what decides the picture.

Offline Tassadarh

• Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 01:29:25 AM »
K, let's focus on craze.

First thing we need to do is find a really really catchy song/music

until then, we shouldn't be too focused on what to put on it - the music is what decides the picture.
Ok.. we need to find a funny song... or a funny dialogue.. then finding the right videos from UY anime should be easy.... again any suggestions? I don't like coping like putting a "rick roll'ed" in UY version so let's try to be original ^^