Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4
Total: 4

Author Topic: Urusei Yatsura and its influence on other Manga/Anime/etc  (Read 12112 times)

Offline dak

• Psychotic Fan
Re: Urusei Yatsura and its influence on other Manga/Anime/etc
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »
ah yes hair colour but hair style is totally different
The only person Lum love is Ataru.
Only thing i can do is watch over her from darkness.

Offline TooCool

• Casual Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »
Episode-2 of Kono minikuku mo utsukushii sekai (This ugly yet beautiful world), at the 6th minute of the episode, while the characters are dicussing whether the main female character whose just come, is an alien maybe, they start imagin various alien characters from anime including that of "Please Teacher" (in chibi form) and a clear spoof of Lum. Looked just like a chibi version of her only with RED hair and One horn.

But one main thing, a sort of trend that i know UY probly started, is that of Lum sleepin in her closet, or Ataru's closet to be exact.
I have seen atleast three or for anime myself, and these are always anime where a certain foreign/stranger girl start living with the male protagonist.
Two anime that i can think of are "RIZELMINE" and "DearS".

In Rizelmine, Rizel forcefully becomes the main characters wife and starts livin with him, sleepin in his rooms closet; and in DearS, an alien cyborq-like girl starts living with the main character, and sleeps in his rooms closet, also. and "Rizelmine" actually has quite a lot of UY references in it.

UY really may not be a world-famous anime or not as popular as InuYasha or Ranma, however a true UY fan, or atleast i do, wud notice many sort of influences that UY has over many anime, and i often notice clear references in certain titles. UY is truly an iconic anime which has had many influences on the industry, unlike, InuYasha even if popular really aint nothin special.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Bleach is another example where "Rukia" stays in Ichigo's closet.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:06:40 PM »
How about Doraemon  of Doraemon who stays in Nobita's closet?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 01:48:51 AM »
But one main thing, a sort of trend that i know UY probly started, is that of Lum sleepin in her closet, or Ataru's closet to be exact.
I have seen atleast three or for anime myself, and these are always anime where a certain foreign/stranger girl start living with the male protagonist.

Allow me to explain this trend a little. It's used mostly in the "Magical Girlfriend" type of stories. It allows for the male lead and the female lead to live together, whether by force or by choice, to show the characters retaining their "purity". Having them sleep together in the same bed, for example, would portray them as being committed to each other, and accepting their relationship. Think of how big a deal it was in UY the night Ataru and Lum spent alone.

If the characters are portrayed as committed to and accepting of each other, their exploits with others of the opposite gender would give off more of a feel of infidelity, which is generally frowned upon. It's the difference between Ataru being a lovable pervert as opposed to a cheating bastard.

It's a symbolic thing. Good writers understand how the actions of their characters come off, and if they want their characters to be liked by their audience, they will avoid portraying them in a negative light.

UY is truly an iconic anime which has had many influences on the industry, unlike, InuYasha even if popular really aint nothin special.

UY has also been around for 30 years, and still manages to have a fanbase. Inuyasha may be popular (but now that it's finally ended, who can say if that'll last), but Urusei Yatsura is a classic.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »
I can find a reference to UY in a Toradora... on Episode 10 the characters go into a dark cave and one of the characters says "Kurai yo! Semai yo! Kowai yo!!"... a clear reference to Shutaro Mendo... and one of the other characters says "Where did I ear that before?"

UY is every where... XD
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 02:21:14 AM »
I never noticed this till now, "Kowai yo" ...

Kowai means ugly so... Mendou's been yelling "It's Ugly!" this whole time? Is that what the subs replaced with "I'm scared"?

Hmmm... wait, I remember now, "Kowai" means ugly/frightening. So... He's saying "It's scary" but I still dont see why the subbers changed it?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline TooCool

• Casual Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 02:22:57 AM »

Allow me to explain this trend a little. It's used mostly in the "Magical Girlfriend" type of stories. It allows for the male lead and the female lead to live together, whether by force or by choice, to show the characters retaining their "purity". Having them sleep together in the same bed, for example, would portray them as being committed to each other, and accepting their relationship. Think of how big a deal it was in UY the night Ataru and Lum spent alone.

If the characters are portrayed as committed to and accepting of each other, their exploits with others of the opposite gender would give off more of a feel of infidelity, which is generally frowned upon. It's the difference between Ataru being a lovable pervert as opposed to a cheating bastard.

It's a symbolic thing. Good writers understand how the actions of their characters come off, and if they want their characters to be liked by their audience, they will avoid portraying them in a negative light.

thats quite obvious.

UY is truly an iconic anime which has had many influences on the industry, unlike, InuYasha even if popular really aint nothin special.

UY has also been around for 30 years, and still manages to have a fanbase. Inuyasha may be popular (but now that it's finally ended, who can say if that'll last), but Urusei Yatsura is a classic.

true.

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »

true.
So true.
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 06:18:35 AM »
Ok, so TooCool mentioned Rizelmine earlier, so like the loser I am with nothing better to do than watch anime, I decided I'd give it a watch. While doing so, I found this during this part where this kid who's quite obviously a pedophile ranting about his pedo-crush denying that she'll ever age.

Speak of the devil, eh?
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:24 AM »
0_0 !

And TooCool forgot to mention THAT??

You know... at my old school, one of the librarians was "Mr. Lum" He was nice, he told me about a media contest and I won a Wii ^_^

Offline TooCool

• Casual Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 08:14:04 AM »
0_0 !

And TooCool forgot to mention THAT??

You know... at my old school, one of the librarians was "Mr. Lum" He was nice, he told me about a media contest and I won a Wii ^_^

hey, brah, i already mentioned- `"Rizelmine" actually has quite a lot of UY references in it.`

Offline Lum-fan

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
Bleach is another example where "Rukia" stays in Ichigo's closet.

Yep, and a lot later in that anime we see Neliel in her past form.
Kinda looks like Lum, except dead ram skull instead of horns, and she jumps on Ichigo the same Lum would with Ataru:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN-xCMchy9I&feature=related

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »
What an annoying voice! xD
Well Lum's body isn't hard to find, I mean it's possible to have her body without plastic surgery but Nel's body is just... artificial you know? xD

But yes, she does act like Lum.

Offline Lum-fan

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 04:03:54 AM »
What an annoying voice! xD
Well Lum's body isn't hard to find, I mean it's possible to have her body without plastic surgery but Nel's body is just... artificial you know? xD

But yes, she does act like Lum.

Whats with the "body, plastic surgery and artificial" remark? :p
I only refered to way of act and horn/ramskull (no need to mention green hair, its in the vid)