Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 36
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Author Topic: Anime or Cartoons  (Read 15945 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2008, 01:39:28 AM »
Dear Sidzero...

I think anime is different from a cartoon, and even if it isn't by definition, it SHOULD be different.

You must understand, my dear sidzero... it is not the fact that Japan created an animation that makes it an anime... it is the features the show holds that classifies it as such, at least to the people like me and Cata who can really understand it.

On a side note, dunno where but it was said that Machinima's aren't animation? Well... video games have to be animated so... XD

Okay, if someone made a machinima using Dragoball Z Budokai, would that fit? (That would be a kickass machinima, just use the tool thingy to take out the states and you have a awesome fight)

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2008, 02:14:23 AM »
I understand the stylistic differences that set anime apart from other cartoons, but to say that it makes them no longer cartoons, that's just makes you a genre snob. All anime are cartoons. All cartoons are not anime. Anime is a specific kind of cartoon, but they're still cartoons.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
anime is a very specific... specific type of animation.

But hold on I wanna get an answer on the machinima thing

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2008, 02:36:14 AM »
Yes, anime IS a specific style of animation. But it's still an animation, so it's a cartoon.

Machinima on the other hand, is a much harder thing to debate. And debating whether or not machinima is a cartoon could open a whole lot of doors. It's not REALLY a cartoon, but it's certainly not live action, but it may be more like live action than a cartoon. But it IS an animation in a way, but by that same sense, we could say even live action movies are animation in a way, because animation is a series of pictures that when flashed in a quick sequence gives the illusion of motion. Just because it's made of photographs instead of drawings makes it somehow... different. I suppose this is much the same way someone like you can see anime as different than a cartoon, but is it really? With machinima the only thing that differs it from live action is that the actors are characters in a video game. But then, what makes it different from any other CGI animation (which would be considered a cartoon) other than the fact that CGI animations use environments that are specifically made for specific animations, whereas machinima uses environments that are not specifically made for that purpose.

Yeah, leave it to me to find a way to discover some sort of "animation philosophy".

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2008, 04:31:02 AM »
On a side note, dunno where but it was said that Machinima's aren't animation? Well... video games have to be animated so... XD

Okay, if someone made a machinima using Dragoball Z Budokai, would that fit? (That would be a kickass machinima, just use the tool thingy to take out the states and you have a awesome fight)

I never said Machinima isn't animation...

RedVsBlue is a machinima (Machine Cinema)... yes it is... but I wouldn't call it a subtype of animation... I don't even want to go there...

That's what I said... and what I was saying is that Machinima isn't a subtype of animation... Like you said... the game is animated... and like I said I don't want to go there... to the "subtypes of animation"...

Btw, I get the feeling that we're going around in circles... about all this...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:32:39 AM by FallinG_StaR »
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2008, 04:36:45 AM »
we are? hmm... how about this then, while on the topic of machinima, what do you need to record one?

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 04:47:17 AM »
A video game and a computer?
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2008, 04:48:46 AM »
I mean what you need to first of all, connect them to record, and second remove radars and health bars and such.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2008, 04:50:41 AM »
Hacks?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2008, 04:53:29 AM »
I think there's a program or gadget...

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2008, 05:02:20 AM »
Hey... I dont know... go ask someone else if you want to know how to make one... XD

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »
It depends on what game you want to record.

Some games that are very suited to Machinima, for the PC at least, have a record feature. The Movies is one specifically that comes to mind (and was a pretty fun game too, if you like sim-type games).

Emulators, if you're using older games, often have record functions built in as well.

There's also a program you can find (I forgot what it's called offhand) that lets you record your computer's monitor output to an AVI file, but the files tend to be huge.

Console games are a little easier if you have a DV-R or a VCR hooked up between your console and your television, all you need is the appropriate blank media and to press the record button.

If you want to more, I would recommend going to machinima.com, which is all about that kinda stuff.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »
Is this how the argument between me and Sid finished with regards to Anime versus Cartoons?

Hmmm.... *light bulb*

Hehehe... New video project :)

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
You almost shut him up when you said "Hold on. I want to see an answer to the machinima." xD

When I saw that, it cracked me up! xD

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
I am going to create a new video!!!

"Anime Vs Cartoons"

Where me and my friend (first time doing a video with a co-host) will outline the vast contrast between the two. I've already written some notes:

Definition:

Genres:

Characters:

Themes:

Plot:

Backgrounds:

Detail:

Angles:

Content:

are the main topics

Example:

Content:

•   Cursing
•   Alcohol reference
•   Blood
•   Violence
•   Partial Nudity
•   Bloopers

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:15:41 PM by UruseiNeo »