Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Author Topic: Urusei Yatsura Copied???  (Read 6832 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Urusei Yatsura Copied???
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
Are Are any of you familiar with the anime called "Inukami!" ? I just found it a few days ago.

Well, the main male character, Keita, and the main female character, Youko, are EXACTLY like Ataru and Lum! ???

Plot is different.

Keita has brown hair, is perverted, runs from Youko, in the first episode after lying to Youko about where he was going he began a sort of girl-hunt.

Youko has GREEN HAIR  :o, can FLY, shoots fire (instead of lightning), chases Keita around and considering him her husband, goes nuts when he goes after other girls and thus uses her powers to stop him.

If you watch the first episode you will find them quite similar. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YsEEp853Gg

Don't let the first scene and intro fool you, starting a little after the opening is where you begin to see it.

I had my suspicions at first but once I got to the scene at around 6:20-8:20 I was convinced they stole Ataru and Lum

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
Re: Urusei Yatsura Copied???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
I think that this saga is a plagiary of Urusei Yatsura !!!

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:53 PM »
Interesting. It's almost like a cross of UY and Inuyasha.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
I'm so pissed right now, after watching Inukami... It's a 100% copy of UY with a tail, fire instead of electricity and saving the World from evil.

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »
i wasn't mad at all with Inukami being so similar, i found it a refreshing twist, anyway the only thing i was disappointed with was the movie, i thought it would continue the story
This is Jenga lol :)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »
I like it too. Because they are so similar to Lum and Ataru, it's almost like getting more OAVs.

I mean it's not like they are all that insulting, if they were meant to be copying Lum+Ataru then I think they did it satisfactory-Good

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 03:17:01 AM »
I'm so pissed right now, after watching Inukami... It's a 100% copy of UY with a tail, fire instead of electricity and saving the World from evil.

If there are that many changes, it wouldn't be 100%, now would it?

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:11:11 PM »
[If there are that many changes, it wouldn't be 100%, now would it?

I think you don't understand me at all.
UY ----> Lum & Ataru; Inukami ---->  Youko & Keita

Let's compare:

Lum / Youko:

Fly/Fly
Horns and fangs/ Tail (ok... if it were everything copied it would be much easily noticed)
Green hair/ Green hair
Electricity/ Fire (ok... if it were everything copied it would be much easily noticed)
Loving issues/ Loving issues
She insists in calling Ataru as her husband / She insists in calling Keita her husband.

Ataru / Keita:

Perv mind / Perv mind
Brown hair / Brown hair
Flirt / Flirt
Loving issues / Loving issues
He keeps running away from Lum / He insists in running away from Youko.

Relevant Differences: Fighting evil and they have to work together to do it.

Now, why do I dislike this Anime? Simple: "Be real be yourself". I don't like seeing people copying other people. I like to see people being creative and comming up with new things. If you want to do something good, then don't copy something already successful.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »
Now now, no need to get upset. Also, I don't know if you noticed it or not, but originality is something that barely exists anymore. Everything out there is either taking an old idea and changing it a little, or combining pieces and parts of multiple old ideas. And this doesn't just go for the manga/anime industry, but for almost every single "creative" industry out there. From Hollywood to the music industry. The forced capitalization of creativity has caused those of us who call ourselves artists to have pretty much already done everything worth doing. The thing that makes it worse is that for those of us who want to actually make money at what we're making, we have to really break down our pitches to the people who will be paying us for our work into what basically becomes "here's my great idea... in under a minute!" The bad thing (for us artists) about it is that these people don't care how creative the idea may or may not be, they only care about what they can sell. And what they like to hear is usually "well it's like <insert so and so popular story> except for <insert whatever minor changes have been made>." They like this because they know ripoffs can sell.

Besides. Originality is overrated. The only things left that are truly original will be written off as "too weird" even by the fans, more often than not. Welcome to the corporatization result of the globalization of the world.

Don't believe me? Then you come up with something original. Then we'll go hunt down whatever it will be seen as a ripoff of. (This challenge goes out to everyone.)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »
Believe it or not, this is actually a technique in story writing. I can't remember what the name of the term is but I'll look at my English notes today and get back to you on that.

I would, however, like to take that challenge. I created a character...

His name is Drake. He wears sandals, gray pants, blue long sleeve shirt, and a brown fishing vest. He was raised as a fisher. After coming back to his village one day from fishing, he finds his village destroyed. However, after meeting a dragon named Kimikocha (this dragon is mostly gold scaled, wingless, and comes from the sun), he makes friends with Kimikocha and learns the art of Dragon Armor.

Dragon Armor is a technique where a dragon fuses its body with a humanoid. This creates armor on the humanoid and gives them magnificent powers. In Drake's case, he gets gold armor, gloves, boots and black sleeves and pants. His abilities are as follows:

Dragon's Claws: Hand-to-hand slash attack
Dragon's Speed: Temporary speed increase
Sun Blast: Shoots a flaming energy blast
Sun Bomb: Ultimate-Creates a large ball of sun energy, resembling a sun though obviously not as big, and launches it at his opponent.
Shining Burst Mode: Increases all abilities but slowly wares out the user.
One more complicated ability not gonna be explained.

I'll tell you I made this character a few years ago. Now... tell me where I got him from. Or at least, try to tell me where I got parts of this from.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
To me,Inukami seems more like a homage to Urusei Yatsura.It is good to see it had a huge influence over the anime universe

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 12:41:21 AM »
Okay here are the notes I had on this topic in English 12:

Post Modernism

-Bricolage: pieces from other works. Mixes to create a new story.

-Doesn't create new, creates something based on existing traditions. Rearranging. Retouching.

-Parody or satire (don't think that was important)

-Speaking to the reader-- okay this is where we have officially changed topics.

---------------------

So basically taking something old and using it to make something new is actually a technique.

sidzero, still waiting for you to track down my character idea (which I've already used in my non-UY fanfic)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:43:17 AM by UruseiNeo »

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:17:28 AM »
Both of the main ideas of the story are quite familiar. The idea of befriending magical beasts (in this case a dragon) and having him/her/it help the character do "great deeds" (whether good or bad) is an age-old concept. It's been told in myths and legends and fairy tales since ancient times. The idea of being able to fuse with such a creature (to my knowledge at least) is a more modern idea. Though I can't name names off the top of my head (and frankly at this very moment I don't have time to look such things up, maybe later), I know it's been done before a few times, at least. I'll come back to find where it was later when I have time.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 03:26:42 AM »
Okay, not that I'm complaining about Inukami! being like UY. I just wanted to show 2 more similarities.

First, I think I found Inukami Megane. First thing you see in episode 8 before the intro. He could have the same voice actor!

Second, http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbFcQFvkbQc&feature=related 1:58 looks a lot like the move Lum was using on Ataru in the valentine's day episode with the Ten+Mako thing.

For some reason I like this series. I think it's because it reminds me so much of Urusei Yatsura.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 03:58:10 AM »
See, I never really understood the whole liking something because it reminds you of something else thing. It may be the way things are done out in the professional world, but the more something reminds me of something else, the more that fact annoys me. I try and find things about a story that make it stand on it's own, and when I like those things, they make me like the story more. But that's just me.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 04:07:41 AM »
well really it only reminds me of Lum and Ataru. Also both the opening and ending themes are catchy.
Posted on: February 27, 2008, 04:29:20 AM
According to wikipedia somewhere the guy I mentioned earlier from episode 8 of InuKami who looks and acts like Megane has the same VOICE ACTOR. I thought he sounded familiar...

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 03:25:43 AM »
Just found a copy of Inukami in manga form (translated into English) and bought it. Funny to think that it started as a light novel and went to anaimation before becoming a manga (and it's not an "ani-manga", either).

It's okay, but I don't think I'll be spending precious $$ pursuing the manga series any further.
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
Funny... but most of the recent animes come from Visual novels and not from manga...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline ammo1991

• Casual Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »
lol, ok, first I think, hmm, something not that like.... then I see the monster he fights, and understands the name of the serie a 100% xD, inu- kami, yasha. It's the same monster as the first we see in inuyasha:P

For the last two weeks, i have used 57% off the time i have had watching anime xD Two animes i would recommend at the moment are Girls bravo and Rosario + vampire. I wonder if this one is any good to:P

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
Funny... but most of the recent animes come from Visual novels and not from manga...

That's because they've run out of good manga to bastardize into animes.

Offline UrusaiYatsuraFan

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »
lol, ok, first I think, hmm, something not that like.... then I see the monster he fights, and understands the name of the serie a 100% xD, inu- kami, yasha. It's the same monster as the first we see in inuyasha:P

For the last two weeks, i have used 57% off the time i have had watching anime xD Two animes i would recommend at the moment are Girls bravo and Rosario + vampire. I wonder if this one is any good to:P

Only watch Girls Bravo if you want to see the heaviest Ecchi series of all time.  :icon_mrgreen: It has no real plot...but it's fun enough to sit through until the end. And no terrible endings like in Shuffle!. Anyway, sorry to derail the topic. Yeah, they seem to be running out of ideas...but as long as the market is there, they'll come up with something. Kind of like what Hollywood is pumping out.  ::)

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:39 AM »
Did someone say Ecchi??? ;D

Girls Bravo is good... but seriously... there's lots of other anime with higher concentration of ecchiness... LoL
And Shuffle! didn't have a terrible ending... at least for me. I don't like those animes where in the end he ends up just with one girl... and Shuffle! kinda leaves it open for imagination... but that can be my harem fantasy speaking... XD

And yeah... They are running out of ideas...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Offline UrusaiYatsuraFan

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 01:29:29 AM »
Don't want to derail the topic (going to anyway  :icon_mrgreen:)...but my issue with Shuffle! was the way they treated Kaede in the end. I was actually an Asa supporter all the way up until that point...but turning one of the main characters into a psycho 3 episodes before the end seemed so out of character, and to be quite frank, it was rather disturbing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I hate Rin.  ;D

And yeah, I like it if they leave a couple possibilities in harem series...but not the the point that it seems as if they never finished the actual story, or that the entire story was pointless.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 01:44:08 AM »
Actualy... I was like you... that was disturbing... XD
But she was like that when she was young... so she just had a relapse or something... XD For a moment I was imagening a School Days type of ending...  :-\

Offline ammo1991

• Casual Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
please, my favourite gender is ecchi:P please list all of em here xD At the moment I am searching ecchi on wikipedia, but im starting to get low on anime series:D Just got done with Sumomomo Momomo

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 12:30:56 AM »
Well you have...

Inukami
Girls Bravo
Rosario + Vampire
Zero no Tsukaima (expecially the 3rd season special OVA)

Off the top of my head I don't remember more. :P
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline UrusaiYatsuraFan

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
please, my favourite gender is ecchi:P please list all of em here xD At the moment I am searching ecchi on wikipedia, but im starting to get low on anime series:D Just got done with Sumomomo Momomo

I haven't seen very many...Chobits, Shuffle!, and DearS are a few more. It's a genre, by the way. Gender is male or female. ^^ If you somehow haven't seen Love Hina yet, you'll probably enjoy that as well, although it isn't categorized as ecchi.

Offline ammo1991

• Casual Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 01:52:51 AM »
Well you have...

Inukami
Girls Bravo
Rosario + Vampire
Zero no Tsukaima (expecially the 3rd season special OVA)

Off the top of my head I don't remember more. :P

hmm, Zero no Tsukaima seems like a pretty good anime^^ One more thing, I am getting a little to much off-topic so i guess il next time rather start a new topic next time:P Might put the list off anime series i think are great there to:)

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 02:27:09 AM »
You can go here http://www.lum-chan.com/index.php?topic=1140.msg27760#msg27760

And ask anything about anime... XD

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 05:17:55 AM »
Probably what I am about to give you is not an UY clone per se but I would suggest to take a look at a manga called Onihime VS (An ecchi manga with a different take on onis)

Onihime VS

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 05:52:32 AM »
You had me at ecchi... XD

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 06:19:03 AM »
Still the same Falling-senpai,I am glad to see time has not changed your particular way of humor

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 06:25:56 AM »
LoL... I have it insured... so if I lose it... at least I will be rich... grumpy but rich... XD

Offline Moroboshi

• Psychotic Fan
  • Harem, harem...!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
Uhm, there is another anime heavily inspired to Urusei Yatsura, but I don't know if it has already his topic...

Do you know "To-Love-Ru"?

Alien princess meets a boy! (And, quite obviously, she is hot!)
Due to her laws, she needs/wants to marry him!
He doesn't, as already in love with another girl!
She goes to school with him, devastating his life with every kind of event/device!
Each episode adds a strange character that doubles the chaos in the school/city!

The greater difference is about the boy, completely different from Ataru and with no harem in his mind!

I saw only 5-6 episodes, but the similarities are impossible to deny since the very first one! ^^
...I love summer sun...