Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Author Topic: Earthquake, I was there !!  (Read 5952 times)

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
Earthquake, I was there !!
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »
last week I was in Avezzano, not so far from L'Aquila, to attempt to a formation meeting.

The anchorman was talking about the backup system of his software house when someone aksed: "do you have a server farm, to backup it in case of disaster ?"

He answered: "well, not yet but this is a good idea. By the way, why this question"?

The man: "Who knows...... IT COULD HAPPEN AN EARTHQUAKE" !!!

24 HOURS AWAY IT HAPPENED !!!!

"Wow", I thought, "just one more day and I could be under a lots of tons of stones" !!!

I'm still giving thanks to the Holy Mother  _/-\o_  _/-\o_  _/-\o_

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
Re: Earthquake, I was there !!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
Good to hear from you, and glad you're okay.

vh
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »
how serious was this earthquake, 6.0?

▲
▲ ▲

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:07:43 AM »
6.3... and with aftershock around 4.8 one hour later... and several other small ones during the rest of the day...

Good to see you're ok Giovane... hope that the other Italian forum users are ok too...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:09:25 AM by FallinG_StaR »
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:28:17 AM »
Was this your first earthquake? They're kinda fun if you don't get all scared when they hit.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:43:35 AM »
I don't see what's fun about +200 dead people and more than 50000 people that are homeless because of your idea of fun...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »
I think sid was talking about other people aside.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
And I'm saying that there's nothing fun about a natural disaster that can kill people... you included...

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
Sid, it would have been better if you could've shut your mouth and kept your hands from typing this time. >:(

I'm also glad that you're ok Uncle Gio. My heart goes to those who have lost their homes and their loved ones.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
Please. People die every day. What does it matter if it's from an earthquake that comes unexpectedly or a drunk driver. If you're going to feel sorry for them, you should feel sorry for EVERY person that dies in this world. I don't see anyone making a big deal about the random deaths that don't make the nightly news. Putting aside my own beliefs that death is not something to mourn, I think it's completely moronic to cry over one (or 200+) death and not over any other.

On another note, if you look past the people who were killed and the people who were inconvenienced (being made homeless is an inconvenience, they're still alive, and with all the attention they're getting they'll be taken care of), it was only an average earthquake. 6.4 is nothing. A 4.8 aftershock is nothing. Just last year we had one here in Illinois that was about the same strength. And guess what? Not one person died in that earthquake. And then there was living in San Francisco. You get used to earthquakes when they happen that much. The truth is, the earthquake didn't kill ANYONE, it was the fact that people weren't prepared for an earthquake that killed them.

And yes, I do think earthquakes are fun. Watching everything shake around, feeling the earth itself vibrating beneath you, and that little ping of adrenaline that the human body will naturally produce when it senses danger, they're all fun to me. You don't like my sense of fun? That's not my problem.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »
Sid, I think the reason people are mad is because the way you say earthquakes are fun makes it sound like you might be wishing for another to occur soon which I think you can understand the problem with that.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
Sure, I don't mind when they happen. If people take simple precautions and follow some common sense procedures when an earthquake strikes, they're really no danger at all. Now, I'm not going to come out and say people who die in earthquakes are stupid for not being prepared, but it's like anything else the world can throw at you, if you're smart, you'll be okay.

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Was this your first earthquake? They're kinda fun if you don't get all scared when they hit.
Well, this was not my first one !!

Most of all I remember this earthquakes:

- 1977, distruction of Gemona (Friuli, North East Italy): 11° Mercalli (about 8,1° Richter): thousands of deads;
- 1980, distruction of the whole region of Irpinia (near Avellino, South Italy): 9° Mercalli (about 6,9° Richter); over 28.000 deads;
- 1997, distruction of Colfiorito (Umbria, Center of Italy), 8°-9° Mercalli (between 6,5°-6,9° Richter).

I'm not able to use the Richter's system (based on the "magnitudo") to understeand the violence of an earthquake because I think is only few years that Italy use this standard: at school, in my childhood, teachers explained to me to refere to the Mercalli's system (based on the damages caused).

In any case, the worst documented disaster of the modern history of Italy still remain the Messina's Tsunami (Sicily): happened in 1909, 12° Mercalli (the top of this system, more than 8,1 Richter); over 300.000 deads !!!

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »
let's not worry about sidzero taking this kind of matters so lightly, this will just cause some unnecessary trolling.
Sorry mods for stepping in a bit into your territory, but in this kind of topics there we have to be discreet so we don't offend other members (or readers), who might direct or indirectly affected by this.

▲
▲ ▲

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
Janus:
I'm glad to see that you're back. Anyways, I can't ignore what Sid said.

Everyone:
Let's talk about the facts that I HEARD on TV. The earthquake was in a small village so the houses and all those infrastructures were old and not prepared to face an earthquake. Also, the italian Civil Protection or whatever it's called, said in the previous day of the earthquake that everything was okay, no need to panic and that people could relax.

How do you expect people to be prepared when an organization that's supposed to be trustworthy and professional tells you that there's no need? If they said that there was an earthquake threat, many people would have survived: not only because they had those backpacks prepared and hide below tables and all that but also because many people would leave the village.

In my opinion, the Civil Protection didn't say a word because of the same reason when it was that Tsunami after an earthquake in the Ocean and I can't remember where or when it was but it was a few years ago: the Government doesn't warn people due to money. If people leave, they get no profit. If people stay they receive money from commerce, etc.

And then disasters happen.

Sid:
If a person let's call it "A" is drunk and goes driving and dies, it's his fault. If someone is in the car with "A" and they both die, it's their fault. If "A" is alone, drunk and hits someone with a car, and that person dies, it's his fault and then we can get disgusted by "A"'s action and be sad for the loss.
If someone (let's call it "B") kills many innocent people or people that don't desearve to die, like a few years in jail would be enough,  then I don't mind that "B" get's killed.
Many people die everyday. It's true but some death are inevitable and some aren't. The losses in Italy could have been avoided, and no I'm not agreeing with you. I guess if you were there, you would be laughing your ass off while other people are getting killed. You were laughing at them and at the earthquake. I almost wish that your mom was there and almost died in the earthquake. And then there she was in the hospital, full of bandages around her and blood on her body and bruises. Then you looked at her, laughed at her called her stupid.

It's better if I shut my mouth right now before saying what I don't want to.

Sorry guys, I had to get this weight off of my shoulders.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
Sidzero just got Catowned. XD

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »
I don't know why but I prefer "Catpwned". xD

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
got the idea from "Dude... Lanipwned (Lanipator + pwned)" and "You just got Vegetowned! Vegeta + owned)"

but since "Cat" ended with a t, I figured that the owned addition ran more smoothly than with a p sound after the t. ~pwned really only seems to sound better if the name actually has a p to begin with like "Kropwned"

As for me, I have the fortune to be able to say "Urowned" XD

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 08:09:23 PM »
Most of all I remember this earthquakes:

See, I was pretty sure Italy was a geologically active region, and quakes coming at that kind of frequency suggests that I was right. You'd think people would be a little better prepared for an earthquake, then.

The earthquake was in a small village so the houses and all those infrastructures were old and not prepared to face an earthquake.

Read the comment above. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't want to live in an old building like that in an area known to be susceptible to earthquakes.

the Government doesn't warn people due to money.

Because, you know, to a government, money is more important that it's people.

I guess if you were there, you would be laughing your ass off while other people are getting killed.

No, most likely I would be helping anyone I could. Dead people are dead, there's nothing that can be done about it. It's the survivors we should all be worrying about. They're the ones that have to live on in unfavorable conditions. Just because I don't see death as a bad thing doesn't mean I think people should die unnecessarily. Once you're dead, you're dead forever, you're only alive for so long, so people should be able to experience that life to it's fullest for as long as they can. NO ONE deserves to have that life taken from them, regardless of the reason. But it's not something that can be helped, because everyone dies at some point. It's simply a part of the deal with being alive, and you cannot fight fate.

I almost wish that your mom was there and almost died in the earthquake.

Trust me, that's not somewhere you want to go.

Sidzero just got Catowned. XD

If that's what you want to call it. I'd rather call it a foolish emotional outburst from a teenager who thinks they know anything about life or the world. :)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »
Can I jus throw something out there:

Sidzero, you act, most of the time, like you are better than everyone else here. Unintentional or not, you do, and when that happens, you tend to start these arguments. This is something I noticed for a while. You make it sound like your always right... omg... you're a Mary-Sue XD

~Neowned (Better than Urowned :P)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
Wow, now being owned means someone telling you an obvious truth. If I say that you know how to type, does that mean I owned you?

I'm well aware of the air of superiority I wield. I'm well aware that people who don't agree with how I see the world can't help but argue with me because of it. But to blame any arguments I get involved with on me, like you seem to be suggesting, is quite ignorant. Ignoring the fact that it takes two people to argue, and pushing blame on one but not the other is just illogical, it makes no sense. Also, I'd like to point out that me "sounding like I'm always right" is something that can only occur in the eye of the beholder. I mean it's obvious that I think I'm right, otherwise why would I argue it? But if you, or anyone else, thinks I seem like I'm always right, then that tells me that somewhere deep down, you, or whoever else, knows I'm right, and I don't even want to say what it tells me when you, or they, say that, and then argue with me anyway.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
I think you misread, I said you THINK you're superior to the rest of us. You're not, you're the same as everyone else.

As for arguments, it takes two to argue but you only really need one to START it.

Fact: Almost ever argument I've seen on this forum seems to involve you for some reason, hmmmm...

I noticed that you took no disgretion to the title of Mary-Sue, hmmm...

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »
See, now you're just TRYING to piss me off. THIS is why arguments start.

You know what, seriously, I'm tired of this bs. It's happening AGAIN. I'm done with this. FU all. I'm sick of a-holes who always have to start fights with me and then make me look like the bad guy.

How do you like them apples?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:24:25 AM by FallinG_StaR »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:24 AM »
Meh... I was done anyway...

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 01:51:47 AM »
Bah... I knew I should have locked the topic... but the truth is that he can't blame us... and you know why? Because of this, it takes two people to argue, and pushing blame on one but not the other is just illogical, it makes no sense.

Sid you just need to learn how to control your rants... because it seems like you're just running like crazy in a mine field... and You will eventually step on some mines... and you know what happens??? They explode... but in this case I guess it was the other way... You steped on Neomine ;D and you're the one that exploded...  :-\

And btw, we don't start fights with you... You like to be the instigator... and that word has a meaning... and you'll see who starts everything...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:57:24 AM by FallinG_StaR »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 02:01:08 AM »
Neomines are dangerous, kids, and the best way to avoid triggering one is too walk around it ^_^

I do not know what instigating means! 0_0! !!!

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »
Instigate
–verb (used with object), -gat⋅ed, -gat⋅ing. 1. to cause by incitement; foment: to instigate a quarrel. 
2. to urge, provoke, or incite to some action or course: to instigate the people to revolt. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1535–45; < L instīgātus ptp. of instīgāre to goad on, impel, equiv. to in- in- 2 + -stīg- goad, prick (akin to stigma, stick 2 ) + -ātus -ate 1

Related forms:

in⋅sti⋅gat⋅ing⋅ly, adverb
in⋅sti⋅ga⋅tive, adjective
in⋅sti⋅ga⋅tor, in⋅sti⋅gant  /ˈɪnstɪgənt/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-sti-guhnt]  Show IPA , noun

Synonyms:
1. arouse, provoke. 2. induce, stimulate, encourage, push; initiate, start.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
Speaking of Earthquakes, anyone know what "earthquake" in Japanese might be?

Yama = mountain, and Tsuchi = soil, but that's about all the "earth" related words I know.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 02:57:26 AM »
I think its Jishin... but I'm not sure...

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 04:26:21 AM »
My RandonHouse dictionary confirms: jishin  地震
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
You know what? Remove me from the Mods Board. I don't care! I just can't sat here and be quiet about it! Yes, it takes two people to argue but the fact is Sidzero ever since he got here he upset many people. His comments, his attitude, I mean, AM I BLIND?!?!?! Am I imagining things? If I am please tell me something!

It's insane how he gets away with this! Gio, Mary Victory, his wife could 6 feet under and all he says is that Earthquakes are funny if you don't get all scared. And then he gets all offended that I called him an heartless person!

If Sidzero isn't trying to make himself better than the rest of us, then why the hell does he always have that bad attitude? Remember the post he wrote saying that he had been analyzing most half of his life population and politics? I mean what in the world is he trying to do, if he isn't trying to make him look superior?

He was involved in many arguments with me, Falling, UruseiNeo and TooCool.

And you know what, Sid? I only made you comeback because I thought it was a stupid reason to leave the Forum. And it was. But you didn't change one bit. You even made me and the other members appologize to you. I almost regret what did so that you could comeback but you know why I don't regret it? I think people desearve a 2nd chance and unlike you, I have a heart and I use it. So you wanna leave, leave. Honestly, I think it's better for this Forum if someone who thinks is the center of the World isn't here.

Oh and one more thing,

You said that it was bs, but it's the truth. You said to us to f*** ourselves but you were the one who got f***ed up.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »
Cata! _/-\o_   Cata! _/-\o_          Cata! _/-\o_                   Cata! _/-\o_
               Cata! _/-\o_                       Cata! _/-\o_                           Cata! _/-\o_

Cata! _/-\o_           Cata! _/-\o_         Cata! _/-\o_            Cata! _/-\o_               Cata! _/-\o_

Cata! _/-\o_            Cata! _/-\o_                    Cata! _/-\o_                  Cata! _/-\o_

(Btw, u are not blind, I noticed this a while ago too. I mean... Sidzero himself said that he doesn't really take Lum's side in the anime, or something along those lines, leaving the impression he doesn't like her much. This forum site is DEDICATED to her, clearly there's something wrong here.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:05:48 PM by UruseiNeo »

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
H-HE-HE-HE- WHAT?!?!?!?!? HE DOESN'T LIKE LUM?!?!?!?!?!

*Cata, the Valkyrie just fainted*

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 02:18:24 AM »
LoL... WTF?!

Is it that hard to maintain calm about all this???

I think its easy to see that Sidzero is a somewhat egocentrical, arrogant (hubris), anti-social... and probably mentaly disturbed person... we should just leave him be... and not take anything he says too seriously.

An egocentric person has a limited theory of mind, cannot fully "put himself in other peoples' shoes," and believes everyone sees what he/she sees (or that what he/she sees, in some way, exceeds what others see).

Hubris denotes overconfident pride and arrogance; it is often associated with a lack of humility, not always with the lack of knowledge.

Characteristics of people with antisocial personality disorder may include:

-Persistent lying or stealing
-Superficial charm
-Apparent lack of remorse or empathy; inability to care about hurting others
-Inability to keep jobs or stay in school
-Impulsivity and/or recklessness
-Lack of realistic, long-term goals -- an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals
-Inability to make or keep friends, or maintain relationships such as marriage
-Poor behavioral controls -- expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper
-Narcissism, elevated self-appraisal or a sense of extreme entitlement
-A persistent agitated or depressed feeling (dysphoria)
-A history of childhood conduct disorders
-Recurring difficulties with the law
-Tendency to violate the boundaries and "rights" of others
-Substance abuse
-Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights
-Inability to tolerate boredom
-Disregard for the safety of self or others
-People with a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder often experience difficulties with authority figures.

If you look at this list... and look in the forum... you'll see that there are several of this symptoms that Sidzero was showing... most of them in the Antisocial disorder.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:22:09 AM by FallinG_StaR »

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Oh wow... Poor Sid. :-\