Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 96
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Author Topic: Have you ever watched an anime that is better than Urusei Yatsura?  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
Have you ever watched an anime that is better than Urusei Yatsura? For me I have never found an anime that I liked more, I once watched Takahashi's other work Ranma 1/2 and didn't think it came close.
She/her

Offline theclaw

• The protector.
  • Fan
  • Weird and weird.
    • Eon Blog
Re: Have you ever watched an anime that is better than Urusei Yatsura?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:10:05 PM »
Well, so far I tend to enjoy those I'd found interesting about the same. I've seen so little relatively speaking that I don't really have an alignment yet.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:30:47 AM »
Hard question... It really depends on one's tastes and humor. I saw quite a few Animes and I have to say that Urusei Yatsura is without a doubt a masterpiece. However, there are some Animes more addicting than UY, like Hajime no Ippo.

But, Hajime no Ippo is for someone who doesn't mind sports Anime and UY is a romantic comedy, so it really depends on one's personal tastes.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:41:50 AM »
Yes... Cata said it all...

it really depends on one's personal tastes.

I like UY... but obviously I've seen better... even if I don't know what you mean by better...

Lovely Complex... is one that I consider better than UY... Shame on me... XD
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »
But the funny thing is that UY is much more important to me than Hajime no Ippo because UY has always been in my mind for 4 years.

Like:

Hajime no Ippo is a boxing Anime. It's an old Anime and the artwork sometimes can scare you BUT keep watching. xD  Before, I didn't like boxing because... well I don't know, now. I used to know why I didn't like boxing when I didn't like it, but now it's different because I love boxing and it's all thanks to Hajime no Ippo. And it's because of it that sometimes I find myself punching the air for no apparent reason. xD And when I work out by myself I always think of Hajime no Ippo because it inspires me. HnI pumps you so hard that sometimes you just can't stand still watching and makes you want to train.

On the other hand, UY is amazing. It got me into Anime and I couldn't forget about that special couple: Lum & Ataru. That tiger-stripped bikini girl with fangs, green hair, horns that flies around and zaps who desearves to be zapped never got out of my mind, and I think this is sounding a bit creepy. xD

And I also kept on thinking of the rest of the UY gang. I was so addicted that as soon as I finished watching an episode, I couldn't wait for the next day to come so I could watch another episode. I would go to school and I would talk to people I knew if they watched "Lum" (which was UY's name in Portugal) and to my dispair , no one did. Until I found a little girl that watched Lum, too. Everytime I lost an episode I would come to her and she would tell me the episode. The thing is, she hated the show after a while and I never understood why. I felt kind of broken-hearted when she told me the show sucked. x)

And I just realized something, you can't tell whether A is better than B if they're too different. You can only compare an apple to another apple because they belong to the same genre. Can you tell which is better: giraffe or whale? No because they're nothing alike.

So is there a romantic-comedy better than UY? Yes, School Rumble but only when it comes to comedy because romance there's few in it. When it comes to romance, I think Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo beats UY but by very little, because the guy actually says he loves the girl. And the whole story is beautiful, too.

But I also have to say this: UY has the perfect mix between comedy and romance and that's why it's a masterpiece and I can't understand why InuYasha or Ranma 1/2 are considered better than UY (but I still have to watch Inuyasha so my opinion may change).

But it really depends on personal taste. I would like to say that I watch everything but I don't. I don't like mecha if there's nothing more than mecha, that's why I like Neon Genesis Evangelion.

And I'm sorry for this will.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:41:43 PM by cata »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
I think "Mamoru-kun" probably beats UY in romance since (and I find this rare) the main characters are in a relationship almost immediately

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
No long description here, but basically, UY got me back into watching anime. Period.

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
Yes there are better animes, both in a comedic way (I laughed more with Ranma then with UY) an in a romantic way (Clannad for example).

But UY is still great, being the first anime I actually categorised as anime. Only after learning UY was anime did I realise all the other "cartoons" I'd seen were also anime (DragonBall, Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, etc).
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:25:02 AM »
I laughed more with Ranma then with UY

Really? I find UY funnier. =)

Offline UataruY

• Big Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
i'm watching seto no hanayome which falls in the same category as uy and i have only seen 9 of the 26 episodes and i already think it's better :P but i still like uy
Stormtrooper number 5!

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
Well... I like UY for its comic weirdness... for the fact that in 195 episodes... I never got tired of seeing it... It made me laugh... it was... something else... that I can't describe...

In the future I will see animes that I will say/think are better than UY... but one thing is certain... UY will always be in my heart... as the #1.
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
In the future I will see animes that I will say/think are better than UY... but one thing is certain... UY will always be in my heart... as the #1.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
I have seen many animes after Urusei Yatsura that I liked but UY is only one that I keep thinking back to after I've finished watching it.
She/her

Offline theclaw

• The protector.
  • Fan
  • Weird and weird.
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
UY is a lot like Lum, loud and clear on what it sets out to do.

Doesn't make promises it's not going to keep.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:46:57 PM by theclaw »

Offline AtaruLum

• Huge Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
im a big takahashi fan and know urusei yatsura since summer 2009. Before I know Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 (since 2002) was the best work for me, but now i like Urusei Yatsura and i think it is the best work and anime of the world. UY is very funny and I can laugh more with Urusei Yatsura than with Ranma 1/2. It is older and originally.

Really sad that no one knows Urusei Yatsura in other countries than Japan.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:19:27 PM by AtaruLumFan »
(formerly known as AtaruLumFan or short ALF :D)
UY Voting in Germany:
Please vote for Urusei Yatsura in Germany weekly!