Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:12:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Author Topic: Beautiful Dreamer Dubbed  (Read 7917 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Beautiful Dreamer Dubbed
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:23 AM »
Hey, I know a lot of people try to avoid the English version of the show but to me, it's like getting to watch it again.

For instance, there were two different dubs for the first episode and both were terrible but I watched them anyway cause I'm that good a fan to put up with the bad voices. One dub did episode 1 and 2, the other one (British) did episodes 1 and 3. That's it for the TV as far as I know.

Anyways, I heard good things about the 2nd movie, Beautiful Dreamer, and its dubbed version. I even found this little clip on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwjoSN2zQX8

Does anyone else think the voices here are satisfying? Or at the very least Lum's voice? Personally I found her voice quite cute.  ;D

Also, is there dubs of the other 5 movies? Is there a dub for the ENTIRE TV series?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
Re: Beautiful Dreamer Dubbed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:13 AM »
All six movies are "dubbed & subbed" by the U.S. distributor(s) for the United States market; the TV series & the OVA's here are subbed only.

Movie 2 was my initiation into UruseiYatsura, and it was on a VHS rental with AmericanEnglish-dubbed soundtrack only. Having since acquired several of the TV DVD's (and enjoyed them repetedly and often), I find I've become accustomed to the voices of the originating Japanese actors, and prefer them over any dubbing.

Specifically in the case of Lum: the U.S. voice talent do a good job but, for me, the only voice for Lum is Ms. Hirano.

Having said all that (yeah, I'm long-winded -- go get yourself a sandwich and a Cold One and I'll be done about the time you get back), for Movie 2, I like hearing Megane's soliliquy ("The Prehistory of Tomobiki") in English instead of Japanese, and likewise the conversation between Sakura and Onsen-mark in the cafe. Doubtless that's a product of my extremely limited knowledge of Japanese, and once my Japanese improves I'll probably take a shine to the original versions of each ....

Okay. See? You're back and I'm done. Don't get crumbs all over the keyboard now ....
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:04:21 AM »
Honestly, I dislike the Dubbing. The first time I watched Beautiful Dreamer, I tried watching it in English, but after about 20 minutes I couldn't stand it anymore and switched it to Japanese and started it over. They made Lum sound WAAAY too much like a space cadet for me.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »
The dubbing looks OK, but Mendo's voice just creeps me out. Sounds like a bulky guy talking saying he's afraid of the dark. xD
And I think I've heard Lum's voice somewhere else, and that messes it up for me. :-\
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »
In the beggining, Lum voice was cute but then... it was so weird... Ataru looks like he has a cold or something. Mendou's super-weird. Onsen-Mark is fine. To me, there's no better version than Japanese's.

Offline Shutaro

• Big Fan
  • Rich, looks and brains.. well, 2 out of 3 isnt bad
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:17:42 AM »
I'm normally fine with dubbed stuff. But UY is strictly japanese only for me.

** Shudders at the voice of dubbed Mendou **

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »
Personally, I would like to watch it dubbed, and they others dubbed, because then it's like watching something new (kinda) and that's awesome!

Of course, I would watched the Japanese version before watching the English version.

Nobody's gonna hate me if I end up liking the voices/ a voice/ some of the voices, will they?

Cause I did like Lum's voice.

I don't know if any one you have seen the 2 TV Dubs on youtube but compared to those, the movie dubs are GREAT!

Tony the tiger: "Their GrrrrrrrrEAT!!!!"

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Shutaro

• Big Fan
  • Rich, looks and brains.. well, 2 out of 3 isnt bad
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »
Hehe, If you wanna watch the dubbed version, Go for it. The dialogue hasn't changed so it's all good.  :*)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »
Nobody's gonna hate me if I end up liking the voices/ a voice/ some of the voices, will they?

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. If you don't, you're a freak and are probably going to be defecating out of your sweat glands, and that's just disgusting. And using someone else's... well, that's just wrong.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
Ok Sidzero...

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
Lum`s voice seems fairly good on Movie 2 if we compare it to the first episodes dubbing of USA (where she sounded as a stereotyped asian girl).The other voices were more or less ok

Anyways,as Sir Shutaro already said : UY seems better in Japanese with subs

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. If you don't, you're a freak and are probably going to be defecating out of your sweat glands, and that's just disgusting. And using someone else's... well, that's just wrong.

Offtopic: I am glad to see ya defend UruseiNeo`s ideals,sidzero (you were doing that,right?),but was this flowerish language needed at all?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:07 AM »
I heard that Movies 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 were dubbed with different voices than movie 2.

I wonder how those voices are... could they be better? I still wanna see the dubbed movies...

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:09:18 AM »
Offtopic: I am glad to see ya defend UruseiNeo`s ideals,sidzero (you were doing that,right?),but was this flowerish language needed at all?

Aye, I was. As far as the words I choose to use... helps the point stick, doesn't it?

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 11:46:07 PM »
Well, you could use other terms instead of those...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 04:52:02 AM »
Okay, after finding all 6 movies dubbed I have watch Beautiful Dreamer Dubbed just a little while ago.

I think Sakura's voice was good, Lum's was good, Mendou's could have been better, same for Shinobu. I like how Cherry only had like one line and I'm pretty sure that it was the dream maker at that time so it was probably his voice again which reminds me, dream maker's voice was... fitting... for some reason.

Now, I can live with any voice that was bad but... I just hate it when they use a different pronunciation for names... It's Shutaro not Shutaroo.

Over all, I liked it. I can safely say that it's worth watching AFTER watching the japanese version first.

Another point. I found it SO much easier to understand a lot of the stuff they talked about. With the subs I didn't really get the stories they told throughout the movie and basically those tales kinda flew over my head. In the dub, I was able to listen to it clearly and get it immediately. This makes me wonder... does this mean Movie 4, Lum the Forever, will finally make sense??? I'll have to find that out later.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »
You know, I don't get at all why people don't think movie 4 doesn't make sense. It makes perfect sense to me when I watch it.

But that could be because of certain... hobbies I partake of (though a LOT less of these days).

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 09:50:02 AM »
The movie 4 is in terms a little philosophic talking about life

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »
Movie 4 is a movie where it takes time to understand the most part of it I guess. I think everytime we watch the movies and the episodes we find something new that we hadn't discovered the other times we watched.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
I have to point out that I've only seen movie 4 once so that's probably why I don't get it yet.

I think I like the voices used in Movie 1 (also used for 3,4,5,6) better than movie 2. There's a certain... quality to Lum's voice that I like better but I can't quite point out what it is. In fact, the only part of the dubbing for the first movie I DIDN'T like was the fact that Lum called Ataru by his name... this happened ONCE at the very beginning. All the other voices were better suited. Beten's voice was ESPECIALLY done well! The voices were pronounced the way you expected them to be.

Actually Cherry's voice sounded like the same voice from one of the TV dubs, slightly Indian accent. So that was slightly a set back.

And for those of you who heard the dub voice of Mr. Invader, that kinda high annoying one, be happy that this time the voice wasn't like that at all.

Back to that "quality" in Lum's VA, I think it might be that the voice applies some sort of innocence to the character. Definitely my favorite ENGLISH Lum VA so far.

Again, this discussion i mostly about how the english voices are done and whether they are good, this does not mean the the japanese VA aren't as good, in fact I'll say right now that the Japanese VA's are officially and automatically at the top.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »
Personally, I just liked movie 1 better than movie 2. Everyone's favorite is Beautiful Dreamer... except me. Only You was the better movie in my opinion.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »
You know... they dubbed the movies... do you think there is a chance they may start dubbing the TV show too? Now that they know how to do it right, I suggest using Movie 1 voices + different Cherry voice.

Actually... I don't think I've EVER heard a good cherry! Maybe it's impossible!!!

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »
I doubt they'll try to dub the TV anime, or even the OVAs, again. I remember reading somewhere that there are English dubs of the first 6 episodes out there from when they were broadcast on the BBC. But they were horribly done, and it was some time ago. The series has kinda fallen into obscurity as far as the mainstream is concerned. After all, it IS more that 20 years old now.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
Oh I know about those dubs. Actually I think it was only the first 2 episodes for one dubbing company and then another did episodes 1 and 3 and called them 4 episodes instead of 2.

As for the problem of its age, they DID dub the movies not too long ago even after about 15 years so clearly it's not forgotten yet.

Okay... all this talk... is making me want to dub the episodes... damnit, now I REALLY wanna dub it!!! But I'd need help...

Is there anyone who'd be willing to try? We could do a SAMPLE scene just to see how we do.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 01:52:47 AM »
Is there anyone who'd be willing to try? We could do a SAMPLE scene just to see how we do.

Most of us would "die" or "kill" to dub UY,just give us the sample scene and we will try to dub it

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 02:06:57 AM »
that's the kind of thing I LOVE to hear ^_^

Well... I guess our first sample scene should include Ataru since most of the people here, I think, are guys. How many girls do we have?

How about the scene from the first episode where he meets cherry?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 05:20:31 AM »
I doubt we have enough females here to cast all the women of UY. And we'll not even think about how many of the few would actually have the talent. Or the recording equipment, for that matter. I know I have plenty of recording equipment myself, but the reasons for that are neither here nor there (not to mention I don't particularly want to tell everyone about all the things I do with my time).

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 05:26:32 AM »
Well again, this is just an idea that we can try. We should probably open a new topic. I'll do that tomorrow...

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
the sad part is I cant' dubbed my voice onto urusei yatsura, but if you need silent bob guy You looking at him ;D
"darling, you give too much thought to what is real and what is not, to what is true and what is false. I realize that is your way, but just this once, accept things as they are. Forego your control, your discipline. and take me with you.

lum plea to kyo final chapter of sins of the family.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
Maybe some guys can make a sweet and cute voice... Anyways, if guys don't cooperate it would be a hard task for girls you know? I think I don't have a girly voice but I can try to make one for UY.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 11:18:56 PM »
Urusei Yatsura Project D is about to begin,not all of us may survive but it will serve for the next generations of otakus

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
The official topic has been created: http://www.lum-chan.com/index.php?topic=1017.msg26362#new
Posted on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:11 PM
Oh this is good... I watched the 3rd Movie in english yesterday and found something quite interesting.

In the original Japanese version, Lum's mother speaks JAPANESE during the movie. Some people are annoyed by this cause she usually only speaks Oni.

Well in the English version... she DOES only speak Oni! And it doesn't even ruin the dialog!
On a side note, I liked Cherry's voice this time. It wasn't Indian but it still sounded like an old guy.

Offline themexican

• Chibi
  • "SAKO"
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 06:23:46 AM »
I have every episode of UY