Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Author Topic: A question regarding royalty...  (Read 5243 times)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Re: A question regarding royalty...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 02:40:10 AM »
Well, it's nice to know what the most likely origin of the myth is. But I know enough (barely) japanese to understand the speech when I watch the anime, and never once have I heard the term "-hime" used in reference to Lum. My assessment is that Lum is not a princess, just the daughter of a high-ranked military official in Oni society, and I'll stick with that for my own purposes. Maybe I'm just stubborn that way, but I still find nothing conclusively saying Lum is, in fact, a princess. That AnimEigo says she is, doesn't really mean much to me because in the days when UY was first coming to american shores, we americans wanted to believe every beautiful girl in a story was a princess of some sorts. I blame Disney for that one.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 02:58:39 PM »
Mostly Disney's stories are too pink (Barbie). xD I believe Lum is a princess and it's not because of Disney. But to be sure if Lum is a princess or not we need to find a Rumiko Takahashi's interview.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 11:12:41 PM »
Indeed, if she was asked the question that would definitely give us an answer, but since she's not called a princess in the anime or the manga, the logical assumption should be no.

Offline Shutaro

• Big Fan
  • Rich, looks and brains.. well, 2 out of 3 isnt bad
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 01:21:09 AM »
Considering the official American licensee has stated she is, we must make the assumption she is. Therefore you required a denial, not conformation to maintain your standpoint.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:24:21 AM by Shutaro »

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 04:50:37 AM »
Official american licensee of the anime, and only the anime (Viz Media is the licensee of the manga and has made no such claims). Let me put this comparison to you:

Consider Spiderman, created and owned by Stan Lee and Marvel Comics. The rights to Spiderman were licensed by Sony/Columbia pictures. The movie states that the webs he shoots that lets him swing around through the New York skyline come from his actual body, whereas in the comic, they come from a pair of web shooters that Peter Parker invented using his genius level intellect (which is true in both the original Spiderman, and Ultimate Spiderman). Which represents the more correct "truth" of the story? The "original vision" of the character, or the re-interpretation that was, essentially, done by fans (Sam Raimi is a pretty big Spiderman fan, btw)?

It's almost the same case here. Do we choose to go with the creator's "original vision" (which in this case would be Takahashi-sensei's manga), or do we go with the interpretation by people who are essentially fans of the work (at least enough that they spent the time to translate the subtitles and pay for the rights to sell the work in america). Personally I'm of the opinion that even though they may be the official license holders in america, they don't really have the authority over the subject matter to say that their interpretation is truth or not. Even if they say it in the packaging that came with the dvd, who's to say that it was originally written by the license holder anyway? Even if it was, it doesn't matter. With the fact that they never mentioned her in as a princess in the subtitles of the anime, either, who can say?

Really, the only way this can be settled is if the creator herself says "yes, Lum is a princess," or if there was some reference to her being a princess in the actual manga or anime itself. But since none of that is the actual case, it could just be an unsolvable debate. But personally, I think that if Takahashi-sensei had intended Lum to be a princess, it would have been mentioned at SOME point in the story. After all, Oyuki and Kurama were, why wouldn't Lum be if she were, especially considering how key of a role she plays in the story?

Now, I never really intended this to be a debate whether Lum was or was not a princess. I personally don't think she was, and I've outlined many times why I think that. I just wanted to get to the source of the misinformation, and it seems that we've done so, unless someone else can point out somewhere a little higher up where AnimEigo might have gotten the idea from? If it came from Takahashi-sensei herself, then I'd definitely reconsider my opinion, and take back my accusations of it being misinformation. But for the time being, I stand my ground.

Offline Shutaro

• Big Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
There's no possibility of Viz translating the manga wrong, but AnimeEgo are clearly liars? }:O

Lets just say I think she is, you think she isn't and everyone else can make there own mind up. It's not the end of the world either way 8)7

Edit - New additional info

OK! On the back of the 'Beautiful Dreamer' LD, which I own. It has the following printed on the back.

Quote from: Beautiful Dreamer LD  (reverse side)
LIFE IS BUT A DREAM...
...or so the story goes. But is it?As you read these words, are you awake, or dreaming? A silly question, perhaps-but if you're a high school student, and your classmates include Lum, a beautiful alien princess, Ataru,  the lecherous and luckless lad she loves, and Mendou, the scion of the richest family on the planet, you quickly learn not to take anything, even reality, for granted
These  BLATANT LIARS :9 are U.S. manga corps. Its a conspiracy I tell ya!!  ;D

Edit No.2 - OMG, Viz discovered to be in on the princess thing!!

www.viz.com/products/products.php?series_id=150
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 09:09:19 PM by Shutaro »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
I've been thinking. Princess hasn't just one meaning. It can mean daughter of a King or Queen or wife of a Prince". But it can mean a gorgeous, sweet, cute, etc girl or woman and this description fits Lum perfectly.

Offline Shutaro

• Big Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »
I think there is more than enough evidence to prove she is meant to be a genuine princess.   >:)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 03:05:43 AM »
Yep, it's all a big conspiracy by weird american translators. That's it.

No, once again, you're trying to convince me with with the same arguments and I've already told you, it's not whether or not she's a princess, it's where the idea comes from. In the anime, at the very least, untranslated (and even in the english subtitles) it never mentions Lum as a princess. I'll get the untranslated mangas myself and check those (I want to get my hands on the new shinsoban versions anyway), but I'm pretty sure no official japanese source claims her as a princess. Going by translations isn't something that I personally would trust 100%. Keep in mind that this is the same era where Macross and two other completely unrelated animes became Robotech here in the states.

And by princess, I'm talking about royalty. Hence why the topic is called "A question about royalty". :)

Now, if we could please stop bickering about the opinions, and either get back to finding the source (though I think there's nowhere else for us to go unless we go to the untranslated manga or interviews with Takahashi-sensei herself), or close this topic and leave it where it is.

Quote from: Shutaro
Lets just say I think she is, you think she isn't and everyone else can make there own mind up.

Which is pretty much what I said in my last post.

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
Yep, it's all a big conspiracy by weird american translators. That's it.

No, once again, you're trying to convince me with with the same arguments and I've already told you, it's not whether or not she's a princess, it's where the idea comes from. In the anime, at the very least, untranslated (and even in the english subtitles) it never mentions Lum as a princess. I'll get the untranslated mangas myself and check those (I want to get my hands on the new shinsoban versions anyway), but I'm pretty sure no official japanese source claims her as a princess. Going by translations isn't something that I personally would trust 100%. Keep in mind that this is the same era where Macross and two other completely unrelated animes became Robotech here in the states.

And by princess, I'm talking about royalty. Hence why the topic is called "A question about royalty". :)

Now, if we could please stop bickering about the opinions, and either get back to finding the source (though I think there's nowhere else for us to go unless we go to the untranslated manga or interviews with Takahashi-sensei herself), or close this topic and leave it where it is.

Quote from: Shutaro
Lets just say I think she is, you think she isn't and everyone else can make there own mind up.

Which is pretty much what I said in my last post.
look,sidzero lets end this : lum from outer space if you saw a girl from outer space  would you think she a princess ? of course not, unless someone said she was one. so in my view lum is NOT  a princess but a daughter of a very powerful man who treat her as his little princess. I  hope that came out clear
"darling, you give too much thought to what is real and what is not, to what is true and what is false. I realize that is your way, but just this once, accept things as they are. Forego your control, your discipline. and take me with you.

lum plea to kyo final chapter of sins of the family.