Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Author Topic: Things Girls can Learn from Lum  (Read 16968 times)

Offline Dabu Sensei

• Casual Fan
Things Girls can Learn from Lum
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:32:54 AM »
I thought it worthwhile to describe some of Lum's qualities that I believe are worth emulating.

1. Devotion

This has to be Number 1. Lum-chan remains faithful to her "beau" with an undying hope that he will turn out for the best. (This despite the repeated and almost perpetual display of ill-treatment on Ataru's part for this sweet and divine creature.) She _believes_ in him.

All of us have failings. We live in a world ready to heap criticism on us over and over again for these. It's like everyone is ready to pounce on us for each of these failings.

Deserved or not--how delightful it would be to have a friend, a companion, loyal and devoted who would forgive us these weaknesses and help us be better. To stay by us, ready with praise and encouragement.

What I'd tell a girlfriend: If we are late for a date, rather than assume we enjoy that, making you wait, how much more joyful it would be if you are happy to have us there finally. Understanding that we might be really unhappy about being late too.

2. Self-confident

Lum-chan is ready to stand up for herself. She's no pushover. Harm her and she is ready to electrify you. On the other hand, when she sees her Ataru threatened, she is ready to do what it takes to help him. She's able with a plan, ready to execute it. Even when Ataru doesn't appreciate it.

She makes her opinion clear and straightforward, letting everyone know what it is she wants. She knows she has skills (piloting, flying, marksmanship, etc.) and uses them.

What I'd tell a girlfriend: It would be nice to know where we stand with you--no hidden meanings, no second guessing. That you would express your opinions--not just go along with whatever I say. You can do things and we should do things you like too.

Dabu Sensei
To love Lum is
to love life to its fullest.

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
Re: Things Girls can Learn from Lum
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »
wow you really are a poet, reading this is like reading a poem, now i will add one of my own

3. Clumsiness

It is true Lum-chan is self-confident in what she does, even in things she is terrible at. Lum-chan can make a mess of any meal or make it super spicy. As shown in the episode where she was taking care of sick Ran, she cant do many house chores correctly.

Even these things tend to turn out bad it is still a good quality, it makes her that much cuter.

What I'd tell a girlfriend: Don't be afraid to do something that your not good at, a true man would be understanding and forgiving. He might even help and work with your problems, this can bring a relationship closer. Like i've said before, imperfection is perfection and can make a woman that much cuter.
This is Jenga lol :)

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »
poets are among us,my lumaholic friends

There r a bunch of things lum may teach 2 girls,so many,yet dabu and forgotten mentioned the 3 best

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:00:41 AM »
IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:21:35 PM by Necron 99 »
I wonder what's for dinner? --King Harkinian
Compared to Goemon, we're not very cool! --Arsene Lupin III

Offline Meves

• Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:34:44 PM »
6. To be Open

Lum comes to this unfamiliar planet, has no expetations of it and just takes every thing for what it is, she dont discard anything becuse its new and dont judge people by there looks or for what they do.

Lum is open to everything new to her, whenever she experience a new thing or meet a new person she never judge anything before she knows what it is.

That is what i belive is the biggest problem among the ladies. That is that they are afraid of new things and experiences so if you watch anime and you meet a girl who only knows anime as child cartoon videos will not think of it any other way then a childrens activiety and simply judge you by that and then ignore whatever you say.
Therefor she is a little narrowminded.. and for me personaly i whould never go with a lady who judge things first before she has tried it or realy knows what it is, if she thinks its one way she should atleast give anyone the right to prove her it may not be that way. As Lum does she.
â€Ãâ€Ãâ€

Offline Dabu Sensei

• Casual Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 05:28:52 AM »
Meves: Excellent! I had never noted that about Lum, but it's so true--she certainly is ready to learn and accept Earth culture.

Necron 99: That sure is a powerful statement about self-sacrifice. Isn't that in fact the essence of true love--sacrificing self for others?

And yes--Lum's Innocence is at the heart of her adorable nature. "Lonely Teacher" would _never_ work if we thought that she's just mean spirited.

Forgotten Lum: That's a great insight too--about Lum's clumsiness actually being endearing because she _tries_ things--like Meves noted about being open.

Here's one more I thought of:

7. Ingenious

In "Exciting Christmas Eve" when Ataru is setup for a fall on that fake date, Lum _on her own_ ingeniously turns the tables on Megane. Wow! In "Return of CaO2" she conjures up a half-dozen pranks against their teacher. Finally, she held off Ataru in "I'm Lum the Notorious" until he stole her bra.

Suggestion for girls: use your brain! We may end up really liking it.

Yours in Lum,

Dabu Sensei

Posted on: April 03, 2007, 08:28:10 AM
Now, I know I haven't mentioned how beautiful Lum is, but that's a gift she has and way tough to imitate (although grooming helps).

Okay, here's one more I thought of to add to the list:

8: Playful

Oh, I am so thankful that Lum is fun to be around--look at the things she does with her alien friends (like in "Return of CaO2") or with Ten or even in her dreams (like in "Beautiful Dreamer"). Serious she is not. She doesn't appear to manipulate people or try to get her own way all the time. (Okay, I'll admit she's possessive of Ataru, but she really thinks he'll be happier with her alone. I would be.)

Not to be redundant, but look at how she acts in "Lonely Teacher"--she seems to really enjoy herself, even though she knows this "date" is only a put-on to embarrass him. She's just naturally playful right up to asking him to kiss her good night.

What girls could learn: relax! Nobody likes a pushy "friend". Worse, being uptight just makes you seem afraid. Life's got a lot of problems, and having to figure out yours so you aren't afraid isn't the most attractive personality trait you could have.

Dabu Sensei

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »
THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:22:05 PM by Necron 99 »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 10:27:20 AM »
10. Courage, Bravery

Lum fights for what she wants. When her friends (mostly Ataru) are in danger, Lum doesn't care if she could get hurt or even worse. Lum does everything that could help to rescue her friends. She doesn't think twice. She doesn't quit, also.

I don't think that only girls could learn from her. I think that everyone should learn from Lum.

I would say this to someone: Never quit from what you really want. Everything is possible, you just need to fight for it. Don't think twice when someone is in danger or needs help.

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »
NO MEANS YES.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:22:32 PM by Necron 99 »

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
Arigatou gozaimas Necron-kun.

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »
I think Girls can learn much more than that.
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:28:16 AM »
Like what Dark? If you have an idea or opinion please post it.

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
See what you could do if someone with a determinated type of mind, like Ran, or Shutaru, appears before you.
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »
A CAT IS FINE TOO.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:23:04 PM by Necron 99 »

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 04:29:22 AM »
although there was a flaw in her plan, if ataru wasn't lecherous then he probably wouldn't have beat lum in the tag match and thus he would gain lum's love
This is Jenga lol :)