Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Author Topic: Lum and Shampoo are twins  (Read 40723 times)

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Re: Lum and Shampoo are twins
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:05 PM »
Another reason.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »
(Hurray for reviving old topics!)

Here's another theory for you to consider:

Lum IS Shampoo... in an alternate reality. Considering both Furinkan and Tomobiki are districts in Nerima, and yet neither is mentioned in the other's series, they could possibly be the same place, with different names in different realities. Just because they're different characters with different stories doesn't mean they're wholly unrelated. Especially because they're very similar.

On another note, if you compare UY and Ranma, you can tell there are many characters that are similar like that. Not just Lum/Shampoo, but Ryuunosuke/Ranma, Happosai/Cherry, Akane/Shinobu, Kuno/Mendo, etc.

Then again, it could all just be a big coincidence.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »
(Hurray for reviving old topics!)

Here's another theory for you to consider:

Lum IS Shampoo... in an alternate reality. Considering both Furinkan and Tomobiki are districts in Nerima, and yet neither is mentioned in the other's series, they could possibly be the same place, with different names in different realities. Just because they're different characters with different stories doesn't mean they're wholly unrelated. Especially because they're very similar.

On another note, if you compare UY and Ranma, you can tell there are many characters that are similar like that. Not just Lum/Shampoo, but Ryuunosuke/Ranma, Happosai/Cherry, Akane/Shinobu, Kuno/Mendo, etc.

Then again, it could all just be a big coincidence.

Hmm... Tomobiki's parallel world... UY's parallel Anime... I never thought of that but now that I did... I think you may be right.

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »
i had to check into the mutiverse to find out sidzero
"darling, you give too much thought to what is real and what is not, to what is true and what is false. I realize that is your way, but just this once, accept things as they are. Forego your control, your discipline. and take me with you.

lum plea to kyo final chapter of sins of the family.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »
Now what do you make of these?

Taken from the Ranma story arc where Shampoo first appears. Shampoo doing a Lum impression...? or perhaps more fodder to support the "Lum IS Shampoo" theory?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:49:44 AM by sidzero »

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:20 AM »
well I could say that many Japanese women like to say "darling" to their beloved, but who knows... we would have to dig deeper

▲
▲ ▲

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »
Taken from the Ranma story arc where Shampoo first appears. Shampoo doing a Lum impression...? or perhaps more fodder to support the "Lum IS Shampoo" theory?
hate to say it, but i think we already had this theory presented and denied if i remember correctly
reasons why:
-lum has horns, shampoo doesn't
-lum has green hair, shampoo has blue
-lum can fly and use lightning, shampoo can't
-lum has no real strength, shampoo could rip your arm off in armwrestling
-lum was a teenager just after WW2, shampoo was in the 90s
-lum knew japanese and alienese, shampoo didn't know japanese until later

shall i go on...
This is Jenga lol :)

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »
please do
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2008, 06:53:26 PM »
I understand what your saying as far as your reasons why Shampoo and Lum are not one in the same. But this theory doesn't say that they are one in the same. It says that they're alternate reality versions of one another. Consider this: Remember the episode of UY where Lum is jumping around in dimensions? Some had situations that are different (Ataru was dating Ryuunosuke, Mendo and Lum were married, or the one where Lum had won the tag race), some had the characters with different personalities (Ataru was completely devoted to Lum), some went so far as to switch genders of the characters (Ryuunosuke was a boy raised as a girl, Megane and the Stormtroopers were females). Now, I don't know how much you want to get into the irrational physics that would explain any of the alien science that Lum uses (and believe it or not, a lot of it can be explained away), but theories as to dimensions and multiple timelines pretty much provide for infinite possibilities. Now if you consider the alternate dimensions shown through UY as a small handful of those possibilities, who's to say that it's entirely impossible that Lum was born on Earth as a Chinese Amazon with blue hair in one of these alternate dimensions?

But once again, I say it's also possible that it's all a big coincidence and the characters that seem so similar in the two series (and in all of Takahashi-sensei's works, for that matter) are just a coincidence and have absolutely nothing to do with one another. :)

And just to add, as far as I know, referring to one's beloved as "My Darling" is not common in Japan. Lum was not a teenager "just after WW2" (UY took place in an unspecified yearly time loop sometime in the early-mid 80's, possibly 1984, Ranma in an unspecified yearly time loop sometime in the very early 90's, possibly 1991). Shampoo learned Japanese by the third chapter she appeared in (all within the first arc she appeared in). Lum's hair color wasn't really defined until the anime (Takahashi-sensei never decided on a set hair color for her, and usually painted her with multicolored hair, or changing hair colors).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:00:06 PM by sidzero »

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »
alternate dimensions i get, quantem physics says that an electron jumping from one atom to another takes infinite possible routes, all at the same time and this is how alternate dimension are created, but that doesn't explain the time difference

anyway if you want to get tecknical shampoo's hair was originally pink in the manga(if i remember correctly)

the best possible, yet very unlikely, solution to a lum/shampoo relationship would be, yes an alternate dimension, where shortly after meeting ataru, lum had a baby and while on a trip to china, both lum and ataru die, leaving there daughter, shampoo, to be found by the amazons and raised by them

very unlikely, i'd say a 1 in an infinite chance, dont ya love quantem physics

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
Shampoo's hair was always either black or blue in the manga (except for 2 of the cover paintings, one had pink hair, the other lavender... the first painting of her had blue hair). As far as the time difference... who's to say there really is one? After all, both stories take place in an unspecified time frame. Could be the future, could be the past, Ranma could possibly even take place before UY, for that matter.

As far as the child possibility, that's even less likely. For one, if you wanna go with the time difference, there'd not be enough of a time difference. Lets assume UY takes place in 84, and Ranma takes place in 91, that's only a 7 year difference between the two stories. Not enough to explain Shampoo's 16 years of age. Now, of course, with the unspecified time frames, that could make it possible, or if you consider some other possible explanation with Lum using her pocket time machine... if it weren't for the fact that Shampoo's great-grandmother (Cologne) is a regular character, and is also Chinese, not to mention Shampoo's father is introduced during the second Shampoo arc, when she comes back to Furinkan, when she reveals the story of how she got the Cat Jusenkyo curse.

Now, to play devil's advocate, I'd also like to point out the possibility that if Shampoo IS a blood relation of Lum, there is no saying for sure whether or not the Oni genetic traits would be dominant or recessive in an Oni-Human hybrid. But then again, it's never defined whether or not Onis and Humans are genetically compatible enough to breed, either. They are completely different species (not to mention from completely different planets), so it could be possible that an Oni-Human mating would be impossible to produce offspring... much like if you tried mating a Chimpanzee to a Human (I use this example because despite being genetically dissimilar, they're similar enough to have similar physical characteristics... the only obvious physical traits that differentiate Humans from Oni are the horns, the fangs, and the super-powers).

Personally, I don't think they have anything to do with each other, whether they exist in the same multiverse (or even the same universe, for that matter), and they just have similar personalities. Which is to expected when you have a mangaka that regularly bases her characters off of characters from her previous works (as I've previously pointed out).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 09:05:27 PM by sidzero »

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2008, 09:27:05 PM »
Personally, I don't think they have anything to do with each other, whether they exist in the same multiverse (or even the same universe, for that matter), and they just have similar personalities. Which is to expected when you have a mangaka that regularly bases her characters off of characters from her previous works (as I've previously pointed out).

I do believe that paragraph was the very princible that made this topic go dead, we are talking about anime characters created by takahashi, who, with some amazing works, has no original characters after UY, she merely took the same personalities and put them into different situations

so can we stop on this topic, its making me want to get into research on quantem physics and theories on time travel again, even though one theory is true on travelling forward in time
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 09:30:21 PM by Forgotten_Lum »

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »
Oh, I didn't say she had NO original characters. Just that she regularly recycles characters.

As far as research in quantum physics and time travel theory, if you want, I could easily go into various interesting theories on both. Time travel becomes a very possible theory once you consider it as more than just a one way measurement of human perception, and think of it as a fourth dimension, which I still don't get why mainstream science doesn't accept. The only reason I can think of why it's not accepted thought is because the concept of infinity hurts the brains of physicists too much for them to really understand. After all, if the 3 dimensions of space extend infinitely in mathematical space, then why so wouldn't a fourth? Too many current theories are built around the idea of a finite universe. String theory is pretty interesting, and probably the first one to really bust out of that mold. And it allows for 10 (in most of the branches of string theory) measurable dimensions, including the 4 that we can perceive.

But this is getting off topic, and if you really want to get into such matters, perhaps a new thread should be started?

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »
Conclusion (again):Lum and Shampoo arent twins nor alternative versions of the other,yet we cannot deny that they are very similar,amen.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »
But we can still dream. xD