Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Author Topic: Favorites among the non-AE episodes  (Read 13269 times)

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
    • The World of Urusei Yatsura's Lum
Favorites among the non-AE episodes
« on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:09 AM »
By Dave Baranyi on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:52:
I went over the 30 Pony Canyon laser discs that cover the 117 episodes of the Urusei Yatsura TV shows which continue on after Animeigo's tape #20, in an attempt to pick my 10 favorite shows. I couldn't make ten; so the following list is my favorite 12. I could have easily added another 10 shows and most of the remaining 99 shows are also quite enjoyable. For instance, the shows with Sugar, Pepper and Ginger would have made a top 20 list. Only the shows with "Kitsune" the fox and the Ryuunosuke episodes really irritated me.

I've attempted to translate the titles off of the laser discs. I've left the translations rather literal. Those of you who are better than me at Japanese can correct me from the romaji transcription that I've also put down. I am also using the numbering off of the laser discs where, for the early shows, each quarter hour episode is counted as a separate show.

This list is in chronological order. I would be hard pressed to rank these shows because each one is exemplary.

LD#23 - Episode 112 - "Rumu to ataru - futari dake no yoru", "Lum and Ataru - Together embrace at night". A "must see" show in which Ataru and Lum are left alone for a weekend and Lum intends to play "wife" to the "full extent". This is the show in which Ataru realizes that there might be some "advantages" to giving in to Lum for once, but as usual, Ataru's luck doesn't let him take advantage of the situation. This show has some great comedy and lines.

LD#28 - Episode 130 - "I jikan kuukan darlin wa doko dacha?", "Strange Dimension Space - Where is Darling?". A poignant and bittersweet episode not based upon a manga story. Lum gets separated from Ataru at Hanami time and wanders through alternate dimensions looking for the "right Darling". A great episode for everyone who has wondered "what if" about Urusei Yatsura ( or even their own lives ).

LD#30 - the "Perfect" laser disc. This is the one disc ( or tape ) that has four great shows on it. These are the 4 shows to use to introduce someone to UY.

Episode 138 - "Makyou supasharu! Mendou yashiki no zaihou sagase!" , "Haunts of wickedness special! Mendo mansion treasure hunt!" A great "shaggy dog" story with an unforgettable scene between the "king" of mendou octopii and Shinobu as the gang hunts for a lost Mendou mask.

Episode 139 - "Ai to toukan! Guroubu VS pantsu no kettou!!", "Love and fighting spirit! Glove VS pants duel". A good manga episode turned into a great TV episode. Ataru gets "attached to" a cursed bloxing glove that causes him to punch anyone whom he grabs in a clinch. The scenes where Ataru punches himself silly in order to not let the boxing glove punch Lum are great.

Episode 140 - "Rumu chan ushi ni naru?", "Is Lum becoming a cow?". A great take off on soap operas with all sorts of cliches being skewered. Lum's horns start to grow and she ( and Ataru ) start to worry that she is turning into a cow. Lum's melodramatic worries are really great to watch.

Episode 141 - "Dou-dou kansei! Kore ga Lum chan no seishun eiga.", Again the gang makes a movie, but this time the satire is much sharper. There is a lot of Fellini in this episode.

LD # 37 - Episode 166 - "Haru tokara ji. Sabishi gari ya no yasai monotori." , "Long time until Spring. The lonely fairy story". Another poignant and quiet story. A snow fairy ( yuki onna )takes an interest in Ataru, but not for the "historical" deadly reasons. The interaction between Lum, Ataru and the snow fairy is quite moving. In my opinion this is a good example of how the TV series really does a lot with characterization in a way that was lacking in the manga.

LD#39 - Episode 175 - "Ayatsushi Ran! Kotatsu Neko no hatsukoi oden?", "Control, Ran! Kotatsu Neko's first love oden?". This is the show that really shows off Ran at her best as she attempts first to avoid Kotatsu-Neko's advances, then she finally decides to "take action". Ran's images are striking and her reactions are fabulous. I really like Ran, despite her "minor character flaws", and this show is her best.

LD#40 - Episode 180 - "Darlin no yasashi sa ga suki dacha." , "The kind Darling that I love". Another quiet episode, about the ghost girl who just wanted to have a date with Ataru. This show is similar to but significantly superior to a later show about Ten. Again, the show tells us a lot more about the characters. A great episode to show to friends who like "shoujo" anime.

LD#45 - Episode 200 - "Hoshi ni negai o! Ataru - ie wa yokubou panikku" , "Wishing Star! Ataru household's desire panic". The only show that really gives us some insight into the character of Ataru's father as he grapples with his daily routine and the chance appearance of a "wishing star". Of course, this being the Moroboshi household, the wishes don't work out, but there is a feeling of some level of success on the part of Ataru's father at the end of the show. An interesting companion to the show on LD#20 about Ataru's Mother.

LD#47 - Episode 207 - "Darlin daikyou! Koufu no yon shikan omikuji!" , "Darling very bad luck! Terror of the 4th dimension omikuji" , Another good manga story turned into a very good TV show as Lum and Ataru wander around a festival at night. Neither Ataru no Lum appreciate the fortunes that they receive, even when Lum shifts Ataru into an alien dimension, but it is obvious that they are getting the fortunes that they deserve.

LD#50 - Episode 218 - "O-risuta - dai enkai! Uchira wa fumetsu dacha!" , "List for a big party! We are immortal!!" , the final episode, a fitting conclusion to the series. The episode starts out with the cast receiving a mysterious invitation to a party, at which even the "gods" show up. Everything ends the way it should. Ataru even willingly kisses Lum, but with the results that one would expect, given Ataru's luck.
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
Re: Favorites among the non-AE episodes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:22 AM »
By Freddie on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 21:18:
Wow! quite a lot of fav episodes...
I'm working on it, but I have to view my tapes again... Can't remember the correct episode numbers by heart
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:29 AM »
By Keith David Hallam (1967) on Sunday, September 5, 1999 - 21:32:
OH WHAT I WOULDN'T GIVE FOR THE WHOLE UY COLLECTION ON TAPE. HELL I WOULD EVEN BUY A LASER DISC / DVD SYSTEM JUST TO WATCH IT. KINDA SAD HU. *L*
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:35 AM »
By Majin Mendou on Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 02:01:
I would do the same thing. Animeigo should kinda pick up the pace now that they got their license back. At the rate they're going, they'll probably translate it all by 2007 or maybe later.
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:43 AM »
By Dave Baranyi on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 03:00:
The lack of action by AE in mid-97 is exactly why I bought a dual LD/DVD player! I then went out and hunted down the Pony Canyon LD re-releases of all the episodes that AE didn't release. Two years later, I can re-watch the UY shows whenever I want, and AE is just now advertising the release of tape #21.

Subsequently, I've been able to buy and watch all sorts of new and old anime on LD that I might never be able to see here if I depended upon "domestic" releases. BTW - I was in Tokyo in July and found to my surprise that all of the big anime stores still have lots of the UY LDs in stock! ( along with thousands of others - I would go broke really fast if I lived there for any amount of time )
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:50 AM »
By Jocko on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 02:52:
So what do the non-Japanese understanding fans in the States do? Just hope AE keeps going and picks up the pace? I'd really dig seeing the last episode and number 166 someday.
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:59 AM »
By Dave Baranyi on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 02:00:
You realize, of course, that you could get a B.A. in Japanese, and probably a M.A. too before ( and if ) AE finishes putting out all of UY. icon_smile.gif

What I don't understand is why AE doesn't have a "sign up" for the rest of the UY episodes. I bet that they would get more than enough committments to be able to do it in a year. AE is a very strange company.
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 04:36:11 AM »
By Jocko on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 04:17:
Yes, they are. But pretty nice. Oh well, what can you expect of a bunch of people who base operations out of one of David Lynch's favorite towns?
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 04:36:20 AM »
By ataru devo on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 02:35:
If Lynch were in charge, you'd probobly get a dead crow with each order.
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 04:36:28 AM »
By Jocko on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 04:59:
I want the Chicken Kit!
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 04:36:39 AM »
Quote from: LarryJr
I did hear they had released a limited edition 30,000 box sets of all the laserdiscs for $5000 and they sold out within 3 hours
Lum-chan

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 04:36:51 AM »
Quote from: bakahammer_shinobu
lesee...in the ovas...the sherbert esp. is all time my favorite!~ it feature all the alien lovelys (benten, ran, ouyuki, lum) in persuit of ou-samas sherbert birds! :DD it has laughs out the butt in it...i <3 that one so much!
Lum-chan

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
Only the shows with "Kitsune" the fox and the Ryuunosuke episodes really irritated me.

I haven't seen too many of those.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:24:40 PM by Necron 99 »
I wonder what's for dinner? --King Harkinian
Compared to Goemon, we're not very cool! --Arsene Lupin III

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:37:42 AM »
I really need to watch that episode to see what you're talking about...
What's the number (from 1 to 195, not 1 to 200 and something)?
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
The number is 134.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:25:08 PM by Necron 99 »
I wonder what's for dinner? --King Harkinian
Compared to Goemon, we're not very cool! --Arsene Lupin III