Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Author Topic: Which movie would you recommend to someone who is new to the world of Lum?  (Read 67943 times)

Offline DarkDevil

• Otaku
  • My dark heart belongs to Lum
Done my voting
DarkDevil, king of the Demons.
Servent of Lum Invader.

Offline MeganeMan

• Chibi
For someone new to the UY experience, I would recommend, and voted for, the first film, Only You.  Yes, the others are all excellent films and worthy of viewing, but can come across as formidable and at times confusing to someone as yet unfamiliar to the wacky world of Lum and friends.  The first film does a nice job of balancing out all the various elements of UY that makes this series SO appealing and thus is the most accessible of the five ( or six, depending on one's POV ).
Just my opinion.   

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
I had to learn this the hard way.

My first experience with UY was Movie 2 (Beautiful Dreamer). I fell right in. I got it. "Tadaima!!"

So, when friends who were kind enough to humor my obsession (partly to shut me up, I'm sure) asked which one to see, I recommended Movie #2. They rented and viewed. Their reaction was ... lukewarm. :'(

They then (on their own) rented Movie 1, and after watching, proclaimed it to be much better for UY-neophytes.

I still think Movie 2 is the best of the first 5 (haven't seen 6 yet -- maybe soon). But, Movie 1 (Only You) is the best choice for a first-time viewer.
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
I would choose beautiful dreamer because it has the best story, best sound track and has more of an oddity factor when compared to the other movies.
She/her

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
But for first time viewers of the whole series, it's better Movie 1 because if they decide to watch the Anime, they already have an idea of what the story is and they won't get disappointed because they already were expecting something like UY.

Movie 2 doesn't show much of what's going on between Lum and Ataru which is what UY is all about, except weird people and weird situations.

Movie 2 is very different from the TV series.

That's why I think Movie 1 is the best to introduce UY to new people.

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
I wouldn't show movie 1 to anyone but children because the sequence at the start with the alien delivering invitations on a bike looks like its for kids.
She/her

Offline cata

• Otaku
What the hell?!?!?!

So I can't watch Movie 1 because there's an alien delivering invitations on a bike which means it's childish?

What Planet are you from again?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
and u cant say its childish cause of that one scene... and u said u wouldn't show it to ANYONE BUT children? that's just screwed up.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan

So I can't watch Movie 1 because there's an alien delivering invitations on a bike which means it's childish?

Just go back and watch the first bit of the movie and pretend you have never seen UY before, you would lose interest or sneer at it because you would think its for kids. Try this out on people who don't know about it and they won't want to watch the rest of it.

When I first saw movie 1 I thought the plot was a bit weak and that it was slow.
She/her

Offline cata

• Otaku
I can't believe what I reading. Are you even serious?!?!?! So, if the first scene doesn't appeal you, you're not going to even give a second chance to the movie? That's just insane!

For your information the kind plot of Movie 1 is the same kind as Kurama's storyline and love triangles are one of the most plots that UY has. If you like UY so much as you say so, then I don't believe you don't like the movie.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Give it a second chance? HOW ABOUT GIVING IT A FIRST CHANCE??????

Here's something u need to know about anime: If the main characters are teenagers, it's for TEENAGERS.

Seeing Mendou alone proves that the main characters are in the teenage state, so if ur gonna go by first impressions, make sure u interpret it CORRECTLY.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
Heck! Kurama's storyline, Lum's storyline and Elle's storyline are the SAME. If you don't like Elle's storyline, HOW can you LIKE Lum's storyline, which means, HOW can you LIKE UY?!?!
Btw, Elle is the alien Princess that kidnaps Ataru to marry her in Movie 1.

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
I just didn´t think movie 1 made much of an impact to me. There are no memorable moments in it. Unfortunatly most of the UY movies aren´t very good. I liked movie 2, and I liked movie 4 (the 2nd best film for me) but it should at least have had a proper plot. Movie 3 had a good beginning up to when she follows the magician through the city (good music at that bit) but then the rest of it I don´t care what happens and the characters are poor.
She/her

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
-_-#

Offline cata

• Otaku
I just didn´t think movie 1 made much of an impact to me. There are no memorable moments in it. Unfortunatly most of the UY movies aren´t very good. I liked movie 2, and I liked movie 4 (the 2nd best film for me) but it should at least have had a proper plot. Movie 3 had a good beginning up to when she follows the magician through the city (good music at that bit) but then the rest of it I don´t care what happens and the characters are poor.

Oh... my... Lum!

So you say "there are no memorable moments in it"? Okay... Let's see ONLY a few because THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM (potential spoilers) :

SPOILERS:

And that WHOLE scene where Ataru is about to get married to Elle and Lum just bursts through the window and Ataru runs like mad with a heavy ball attached to his foot and they hug each other. Lum's crying and Ataru even kissed her on the cheek!.

And that scene where Lum's holding Ten and they're both sleeping, Ataru appologizes to her and goes to kiss her on her forehead. She woke up and they both laugh about it, he covers her up and soon as he's about to kiss her, the spaceship where they are, suddenly stops and Ataru falls down.

HOW CAN THAT NOT BE MEMORABLE?!?!?!

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT MOST UY MOVIES AREN'T GOOD?!?!?! They have EVERYTHING UY has!!!!

Everyone has different opinions which should be respected but you... you just contradict what you say. You say you like UY but with those statements all you're doing is showing us that you don't like UY's plot and characters.

UY's characters aren't poor. I'll tell you what's poor: YOU ARE!