Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Author Topic: Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Discussion  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Moroboshi-kun

• Fan
  • aka RTAE86
    • MyAnimeList
Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Discussion
« on: October 14, 2022, 01:10:30 AM »
Note: This topic might have spoilers!!!

What's your opinion on the first episode?

Vote! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 01:17:19 AM by Moroboshi-kun »
Lum fan till the day I die
MyAnimeList | YouTube | Steam | Twitter
Feel free to add me~

Offline Moroboshi-kun

• Fan
  • aka RTAE86
    • MyAnimeList
Re: Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 01:26:20 AM »
First of all: I have watched the original anime, but have never read the manga.

Well, where to start...

Overall I was very hyped for this and I was not dissapointed!

Voice acting - So far so good. Ataru's VA IMO did a great job and I could tell he is using most "ticks" from Furukawa Toshio. Tho I have read in other sites that people are complaining about "excessive yelling"?
Lum's voice is also good, kinda hard to tell her VA also voices Shalltear and Nagatoro.
Other characters are good too.

Animation: I loved the animation on this episode and most importantly the visual effects!

Comedy: I felt a different vibe on the comedy used on the new series. A bit different and not so "80's style" but still very good. I laughed out loud before the 2 min mark and the remaining episode was hilarious.

Sound: I am missing so much the sounds used on the original anime, especially on the comedy moments. Lum's flying sound is also different, but good. I knew there were going to be big changes here, but I was still hoping to listen do the original and funny sound effects.

Overall: Still gave me the exact same feeling I had waching the original anime back in 2004, 18 years later!!  ;D
Feel free to add me~

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 02:35:15 AM »
Okay where to start where to start...

First of all I never read the manga, only the original anime, but I got the same vibes of the original anime.

The seiyūs performance was top notch, if I didn't know I would think it was the original seiyūs giving their voice.

There was some concern that maybe some characters wouldn't sound like their original voice, but the new seiyūs honored their senpais xD

Ataru's was really great, even that specifically laugh that he's know for was great.

Lum's I was really surprised, when she started talking it sounded like the original seiyū, even with the tcha in the end.

The rest of the characters maintained the good work also.

In my opinion this 'finale' of the tag race was even better than the original, it had more action involved and more groping xD

The second part of the episode was like a typical 80's Urusei Yatsura episode, comical and crazy till the end, like the original series the first episodes also engaged in this kinda love triangle between Ataru, Lum and Shinobi.

You know that sound that start to play on the finale of a Urusei Yatsura episode that went chaotic and comical? That was the only thing that was missing.

I loved the opening and with all that artwork and game references, like the ending it sounded very 80's.

I still didn't hear no "Lum no Love Song", I'm still hoping.

We already know that there are no Stormtroopers, RIP, so I guess the comical relief will go for those 2 friends that were in Ataru's house, I didn't read the manga so I don't know their names XD.

Overall I was gladly surprised, like seeing again a part of your childhood, the first time I saw Urusei Yatsura was in 2004 when I was a kid.

I can't wait for the new episodes to come out, maybe I will see some old episodes of the series, after watching this it kinda gave that feel.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 02:37:13 AM by Jataru »

Offline KasugaKyosuke15

• Chibi
  • You're gonna carry that weight!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 02:37:58 AM »
First episode got off on the right foot- Hearing Mr. Moroboshi was a treat, and the style looks new, while being faithful to the original.
The alien invasion seemed bigger in scale compared to the 80's adaptation.

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 02:41:02 AM »
The alien invasion seemed bigger in scale compared to the 80's adaptation.

There's that also, in the original series it looked more focused on Tomobiki, with all that aircraft around the world it looked more like a real invasion.

Offline Revenge

• Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 09:18:33 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm late for the party as usual but as they say here, it's better later than never  ;D

I've just seen the episode, first thing I did after work as yesterday I didn't have the opportunity to watch live 'cause I was in a concert  :-\

Bottom line, I liked overall. It was made to please the old fans as well to earn new ones. It was very nostalgic to watch and notice the similarities with the original first episode like the dialogues. The animation was great, the opening was nice (no Lum Love song though) the seiyuus were fine too, the only seiyuu that didn't click yet for me was Sumire Uesaka.
As everyone was saying and expecting, it seemed to me almost a carbon copy of the first chapter of the manga.

The focus on the alien invasion (new characters, more shots of the spaceship and the insides) was really nice too.

Only downside is to wait one week to watch the second one but I think I'll manage  ;D

Have a nice one guys. It's good to see this house flourishing again

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 09:46:46 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm late for the party as usual but as they say here, it's better later than never  ;D

I've just seen the episode, first thing I did after work as yesterday I didn't have the opportunity to watch live 'cause I was in a concert  :-\

Bottom line, I liked overall. It was made to please the old fans as well to earn new ones. It was very nostalgic to watch and notice the similarities with the original first episode like the dialogues. The animation was great, the opening was nice (no Lum Love song though) the seiyuus were fine too, the only seiyuu that didn't click yet for me was Sumire Uesaka.
As everyone was saying and expecting, it seemed to me almost a carbon copy of the first chapter of the manga.

The focus on the alien invasion (new characters, more shots of the spaceship and the insides) was really nice too.

Only downside is to wait one week to watch the second one but I think I'll manage  ;D

Have a nice one guys. It's good to see this house flourishing again

O engraçado é que somos nós os portugueses que de certa querem dar algo a este fórum xD (Moroboshi, eu e tu agora Revenge)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A side note, I still haven't read the manga but I know that movie 5 is the finale of it, so in a way we'll have a remake of the movie incorporated on the series.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:48:41 PM by Jataru »

Offline [uy]

• Long time fan
  • Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 01:11:47 AM »
O engraçado é que somos nós os portugueses que de certa querem dar algo a este fórum xD (Moroboshi, eu e tu agora Revenge)
Eu também sou português, apenas não tenho muita actividade por aqui mas sou da velha guarda  ;D :P

I was excited to get home from work and watch the first episode, which I did!
I did read the manga many, many years ago by the time the show was airing in my country but did not read everything, tho the show looks promising to me.
Voice acting was good and overall it showed what UY is for new fans of the series, my only concern than everything that has been discussed on social media is perhaps the soundtrack. We don't have the great genius artists from the 80's and most sound effects were not as good as the old one but I hope it gets better far ahead in the series.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed it a lot!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 01:20:51 AM by [uy] »

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 02:04:29 AM »
Eu também sou português, apenas não tenho muita actividade por aqui mas sou da velha guarda  ;D :P

A maioria de nós apanhou a série em 2004 quando começou a passar na SIC Radical xD.

Like you said, the vibe is there but somehow the soundtrack not, it's understandable since it has been 41 years since the first release of the series, something's have to change.

Nonetheless I want to see some "Lum no Love Song" or " Forlorn aren't you" in the new series, a remake of the songs or something like that.

I found that comical sound effect that appears in the finale of a episode that was completely comical relief xD

https://youtu.be/uR7jGZpkPVA

P.S. - On a side note, our administrator needs to update the embed codes, if we try to embed a youtube video it´s not possible
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:10:11 AM by Jataru »

Offline Moroboshi-kun

• Fan
  • aka RTAE86
    • MyAnimeList
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
I found that comical sound effect that appears in the finale of a episode that was completely comical relief xD

https://youtu.be/uR7jGZpkPVA

Aaaaah the memories!!!!! Someting completely random happening while this song plays and sometimes the "camera" would zoom out :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It was also somewhat frustrating because it meant the episode was ending :P And there was no rewind at that time...

Nonetheless I want to see some "Lum no Love Song" or " Forlorn aren't you" in the new series, a remake of the songs or something like that.

I have a feeling one of these songs (or maybe both) will appear in some special moment in the anime ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:38:00 PM by Moroboshi-kun »
Feel free to add me~

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
Besides the comical episodes I wish to see some remakes of the top 10 episodes, episode 194 of the original series show the top 10 episodes and from that list the ones I would like to watch a remake are:

Parallel Worlds! Where's Darling?
Darling, I love your Kindness!
Scramble! Rescue Lum!
And Then there were None!
After you've Gone!
Lum&Ataru, a Night Alone!
Document! Who'll be Miss Tomobiki?
Lunchtime Eat-Outhers gather Around!
We'll risk our Lives during Class time!

There are others kinda psychological with a dark tone like:
Miserable! A loving and Roving Mother!
Terror! Attack of the killer potatoes!

Offline [uy]

• Long time fan
  • Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
I read that they will focus only on the most famous/"coolest" moments of the manga rather than adapting the whole series. 46 episodes in total will be enough to show content that was never animated and also bringing back the oldies!

Depending on the success of the show I hope they can release in the next years another movie/OVA.

Offline Revenge

• Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 02:09:39 AM »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A side note, I still haven't read the manga but I know that movie 5 is the finale of it, so in a way we'll have a remake of the movie incorporated on the series.

Verdade !  ;D

IMO one doesn't lose that much by not reading the manga. It's quite bland comparing to the anime, IIRC I wrote about that in a topic here somewhere many years ago.

Voice acting was good and overall it showed what UY is for new fans of the series, my only concern than everything that has been discussed on social media is perhaps the soundtrack. We don't have the great genius artists from the 80's and most sound effects were not as good as the old one but I hope it gets better far ahead in the series.

I felt that too. j-pop from the 80's was the best and most likely will never be matched, but not only that, the proper BGM was weak. I'm sincere that I don't know the work of Masaru Yokoyama because I usually don't watch season anime, but it felt pretty tame and unenthusiastic. I know its early to judge but I fear the soundtrack will be entire forgotable by the end of the series. The soundtrack of the original series specially the ones made by Shinsuke Kazato and Anzai Fumitaka were fantastic. Synth based, had emotion and spirit in them. Katsu Hoshi score from Beautiful Dreamer is a good example too, the music feels very dreamlike and peaceful (like a dream). I believe that isn't only nostalgia speaking, those tracks were truly good and well composed.

Besides the comical episodes I wish to see some remakes of the top 10 episodes, episode 194 of the original series show the top 10 episodes and from that list the ones I would like to watch a remake are:

Won't happen if they really plan to adapt only the best ones from the manga, since that list includes stories that weren't in the manga, like the killer potatoes episode, Ataru's mother dream and the one episode in the mansion and the poem.

I read that they will focus only on the most famous/"coolest" moments of the manga rather than adapting the whole series. 46 episodes in total will be enough to show content that was never animated and also bringing back the oldies!

Depending on the success of the show I hope they can release in the next years another movie/OVA.

David Production said that they were only doing 46 episodes? I've always read "cours" but I didn't really understand how many episodes would that mean.
If its 46 episodes it won't stretch the story too long that's for sure. I too think that its enough and fits the nature of the anime.

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2022, 02:50:27 AM »
Despite being a overall comical series, it's the mysterious and psychological episodes that I'm most draw into.

I've said many times that my favorite movie is Beautiful Dreamer, since it's a totally different view of the series itself, all mysterious and all that.

Like Lum 4ever, the movie is soo confusing and mysterious but also endearing, the soundtrack, like the name itself, gives a feeling of melancholy.

I kinda want to feel like that again.

Nonetheless I love the comical episodes, I had so many laughs watching.

Also just curious, is the movie Only You manga canon or not?

If so then it should be interesting, I never appreciated some artworks of the first movie.

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2022, 06:24:18 AM »
I'ts been a while since I've last been here. But here are my toughs on the first episode:
Artstyle is very good and colorful, no complaints.
The opening and ending is a bit generic for my taste compared to how awesome music the original has. I did notice that there were some references to actual UY games like the lum sprite that appeared in the famicom game.
The voice acting sounds way different from the original but the voice actors are top notch and do a great job.
The pacing a bit too fast for my taste but it works and gets the job done.
I was a bit confused on what time this was set in since the opening shows Ataru using a dating app on a smartphone. while the episode showed old tube television used and landlines. I would of preferred if it was set in modern day to keep it fresh.
Overall this was an enjoyable episode and I'm curious what is next in store.

▲
▲ ▲