Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:44:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Author Topic: A good or bad schoolgirl?  (Read 11891 times)

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
A good or bad schoolgirl?
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »
Do you think that Lamù is a good schoolgirl?

For what we said RT, as a child was a real plague: refractory to discipline enough to launch missiles against teachers (she did it against CaO2 with Benten and Ran) or to place a bomb on their back (she did it against Cr-AB, in the manga, even with Benten and Ran), listless to do her homework (you can see it in the manga, in the episode "revenge of the convolvulus"), ready to fight all the time (it's learned in the first episode that talks about Ginger, Pepper and Sugar).

And when she grew up?

In all the episodes (both the anime and the manga) I've never seen her doing homework, but in the episode "that magnificent summer" Lum  threats Ataru: "if you don't date me I won't help you anymore to do your homework ".

The only time we see her take a test at school is in crisis and, in fact, it's understandable: it's so difficult for anyone to translate the ancient Japanese in the modern, let alone an alien!

But the question remains: do you think that Lamù is a diligent schoolgirl or even in high school  maintained her attitude impatient and lazy?

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Re: A good or bad schoolgirl?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
I think she's intelligent but that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to school grades. You can skip classes and be smart or be dumb and get high grades (with help from classmates or something).

Behaviour in the classroom means even less when it comes to school grades.

I think she would get average grades in Tomobiki. In her planet, I think she would get bad grades in the first years but quickly improve her grades in middle school.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
I believe Lum already graduated high school on her home planet but goes to school with Ataru so she can be close to him. I think this was referenced in one of the earlier TV episodes.
Why keep a dog and bark yourself?

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
Sorry ?!?  :o

Lamù already graduated high school on her home planet [...] hink this was referenced in one of the earlier TV episodes

Which one ?!?

I really missed it !!  :o

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
It was referenced way back in the first few episodes although I can't remember which one. Graduating at an early age is nothing new. in my wife's country most high school kids graduate at 16 years old. You'll have to watch those early eps again to find it as I don't have a Netflix subscription any more.

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
Wait, wait: now I got !!

Lamù is graduated with the diploma took at MIDDLE SCHOOL, like the one of Kagome !!

She got it in her planet when was about 14, togheter with Ran, Benten and Oyuki: we know it 'cos', during a reunion, prof CR-AB ("Gran-Kyo" in italian) give them some photo: "I took them during the graduation ceremony", he said  !! (this episode is one of the lasts of the manga).

This also means that Lamù still has no high school diploma !!

That's why she riskes serious rejection !!!

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
I seriously doubt that a girl who can fly a spaceship, build giant robots, traverse alternate realities and has a middle school diploma which on earth would probaby qualify her for a minimum of a college degree is all that worried about human high school in Japan where they still grade on a Bell curve.

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
I would be inclined to believe that extra-terrestrial beings would be educationally superior to us (as pointed out: they fly spaceships, so they MUST be smarter). My OPINION is that Lum is a bright girl who was BORED in her interstellar school (thus the pranks) and has graduated; she attends Earth high-school but is there ONLY to be close to Ataru; she merely goes through the motions in class 2-4 to play along while keeping close to Her Darling.
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »
You know the whole "being smart = good with computers" and such? I don't buy it. I wouldn't say Lum and the others are smarter because in their home planets they have more advanced technology. The aliens that MADE their gadgets are the ones who are intelligent, without a doubt. But the ones who only use their gadgets? I mean, I can work with a laptop but I didn't invented it so I can't build one even though I know how to use it. See what I mean? Just like you can build some table but have no idea how to get the right wood and such for the same table. Like, I can use a microwave oven but I know nothing about how microwave ovens are built and such.

I think I've made my point.

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
The point is that Lamù IS able to assemblate a duplicating-gun, or a live-translater-mask, or a 3D projector and other devilries coming from her planet !!

Both anime and manga are full of episodes like that !!

Veehive is right: Lamù went to school just to be so close to her darling but anything cleared us about the fact that she's a good or bad schoolgirl.

... OR MAYBE I MISSED SOMETHING ONCE AGAIN ?!?

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
Ataru can run non-stop for a pretty feminine face. Does this mean humans are physically better than aliens? No!

Ataru can flip girls' skirts using a yo-yo! C'mon, that's got to count for something! I mean, I never saw Lum do that so it must mean that Ataru is... huh... smarter?

I think the only conclusion we can get about UY, is that alien technology is way more advanced than human technology.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »
Ataru can run non-stop for a pretty feminine face. Does this mean humans are physically better than aliens? No!

Ataru can flip girls' skirts using a yo-yo! C'mon, that's got to count for something! I mean, I never saw Lum do that so it must mean that Ataru is... huh... smarter?

I think the only conclusion we can get about UY, is that alien technology is way more advanced than human technology.

So you think that doesn't transfer over as to how smart they are in general then?
The tech Lum uses is very advanced and uses wormholes to transfer between two points in space.
I am willing to bet most of us here cannot assemble a giant robot and yes we have them it's true they are industrial robots but no one here could asemble one.
We also had spaceships (Space Shuttle) until they were mothballed but no one on this forum can pilot one.
Go back 400 years and see how many people could drive a car or operate a computer.
Lum is IMO smart enough to do what most humans can't do and she does it with ease. She has also fixed her own ship on occaision.
I think if a test were given to pass high school Lum would ace it.  :)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 02:35:40 AM »
Alien high school, maybe...

Earth high school? Very unlikely.

There's even a chapter/episode where she is taking a test and having trouble even saying "they shouldn't expect aliens to know this" or something like that.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:14 AM »
Yeah, Mozzart, Einstein, Darwin, Da Vinci had a HUGE amount of intelligence. Guess what? Not a single one of us are close of that. Yet, we can use computers, get transplanted, go to the moon (for money), etc.

If you want to compare alien's IQ to a random Earth person, then you must be sure that their equal. What's the point of comparing Einstein's IQ with a random average person? Their not on the same class. If Lum could actually create something, then the conversation would be different but all she does is assemble mechanical parts, fire guns and pilot spaceships. We, random humans can build buildings, bridges, highways, assemble furniture, fire guns and drive cars.

In my perspective, Lum's IQ is average. There's not someone in UY who is the "smart kid". Not even Megane, the typical glasses nerdy guy.

So, you want to see who's smarter? Chose the most intelligent alien and chose the most intelligent human and then we'll see. Of course aliens would win BUT picking Lum won't work.

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 12:37:49 AM »
we had already discussed in another thread: Ten, an asylum-age child, speaks fluently a foreign language tricky and difficult as the Japanese!

Oh, the mistery of the alien school !!  ;)