Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 29
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Author Topic: The Rise of the Phoenix?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
The Rise of the Phoenix?
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:43 AM »
Greetings, mine dear Lumaholics

Today, in contrast to many of mine usual merry posts, I want to tell you, because I enjoy your company, something somewhat saddening to me :

I am going to abandon my chance to get a Master Degree in order to dedicate myself to complete a thesis I wanted to do about Shakespeare and the Old West (Funny but true)

When I entered the University in 2006 to study English Literature and Culture it felt like a dream come true and for 4 years and a half I enjoyed the ride

Once I graduated on February 2011 I decided to take a rest from school and things were not very good considering that here at Mexico things have turned violent and that soon I felt the need to do something with my life

I decided to become a translator of any kind of texts by joining a translation community (my page can be found here) but my parents wanted me to get a Master Degree in Humanism in order to get a better job and revalidate my passport; I accepted doing it even when I really wanted was to keep on translating and finishing my thesis

I was victim of endless sea of bureaucratical mumbo jumbo and the admission fees were somewhat expensive yet I finally entered during this week; A feeling of uneasiness overtook me as I no longer knew nor cared about the material been covered there; Call me childish if you like but I didn't feel any kind of passion, the teachers didn't gave me confidence, my classmates are all professionals older than Veehive, I am not used to go to school at night and I also felt that in the end I would end up screwing things up or despising myself for not standing up for my principles; Today I have decided to leave that Master Degree in order to continue mine translation gig and carry on with my own projects related to what I have studied and love

I suppose you might wonder why I am telling you all of this, Lumaholics, and I can safely assure you that it's because, even though I haven't seen you in real life, I like your company as well as taking off this burden out of mine shoulders; Thanks for your understanding

Have a weird and nice day :)

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
Re: The Rise of the Phoenix?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
Your Majesty, my respects  ;D

I just read what you wrote and I can tell you that not only understand your feelings but I also have lived your own experience 12 years ago (wow, yet it seems to talk about events that happened just yesterday!).

At that time I had just finished his military service and, having taken the title of "analyst procedures" I managed to get a job at an IBM business partner (that the devil take them to hell: they used me as a slave, paid a pittance, and when no longer served them, applied on me the most ignoble act of mobbing just to "put myself in a position to go"), I didn't know how to complete my studies at the Faculty of Economics and Commerce (among other things I had left to take the exams more terrible).

Yet I didn't want to throw to the winds all the efforts and studies that I had done; more, I didn't want that the sacrifices made by my parents had been in vain.

I spent a night full of doubts and, in the end, I decided to go to the Faculty of Political Science, with historical-administrative.

I have a great passion for history and that one was peppered with tests that were based on that.

Well, even though the volumes that were to be studied were so many big that they would scared even Napoleon, thanks to that passion I "devoured" them any night: nor even a 8-10 hour work day could dampen by that, by torture, was transformed into an authentic delight.

The rest is history: in 2 years, 10 of exams I have taken 8 times 30/30 and wrote the thesis in less than 8 months.

When, on 4 December 2004, presented to the committee was about 12:30 I was the last of the queue and the teachers didn't expect anything else but to eat.

BUT ...

... they were so impressed by my work that lasted over an hour my exam, instead of 20-30 minutes requested by the Regulation and received honors and compliments of the dean.

The one I've written above is not for vanity but because I approve the choice you made, because I feel it is the right one.

What I'm writing now is an advertising slogan but, at least for me, for several years has been a way of life: the passion is all, follow your passion!

Long live the King !!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:20:21 AM by GiovaneDinamitardo »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
I think people often forget that "what's better for me may not be better for him" and that can cause a heavy climate between people. Also, sometimes you have to be selfish and when you don't have a family to raise or something else that depends on you, those are the times.

I'm with you 100% ;D

I'm attending Law school and I'll become a lawyer. Guess what? My mother wanted me to become a doctor or a teacher. My father didn't care about those things until I submit college applications. As soon as I told him about becoming a lawyer he laughed at me because I would never get in with my grades. My score was 13. 2. The last person to get inside had 13.5, I think. But guess what? I also applied for the night shift, which accepted my application. Weeks before I knew I got in, my father was pressuring me about getting a job and such because he was 100% sure I wouldn't get in. But I did got in. I even cried when I read my e-mail saying I was accepted in Law school! It was the first time (and last time) I cried tears of joy!

But even so, my father keeps doubting me. Keeps doubting me. Keeps pressuring me to leave Law school and search for something else that suits me better. And the worst? Most people I know agree with him. Even my "friends".

One year has passed since I got in Law school. Guess what? I passed. I have 3 subjects I have yet to do but I'm in the second year of Law. I don't know if I can pull it of in 4 years but I'll definetely become a lawyer. Oh and when I do, I'll rub it in in every people's faces that doubted and underestimated me.

I said it once and I'll say it again: GO COSMIC!!!!!

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
Thank you, Uncle Gio and Cata, I really appreciate what you have commented so far and it also intrigues me how doubts and insecurity can be mortal enemies to students all over the globe

Today be the last day I go to the Master Degree in order for the headmistress to see that at least I had the guts to be one academic week and today I am also going to speak with one of mine teachers from my Bachelor Degree to resume my project

Once again, THANKS!!!

Offline swizzle

• Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »
Ya Cosmic!!! Great to hear you're going for your passion!! xD
I'm in the same boat as you guys. My mom wants me to do something in science and my dad doesn't care too much as long as I get a job and can support myself, but you know what? I hate science.
I'm a Japanese major right now and after graduation I'm going to become a singer in Japan. My mom doubts me and my dad says I'll never make it without proper training, but I think if I keep working hard and keep improving as I am then it'll work out. My passions are singing/music and voice acting which are both difficult fields to get into and my parents most likely think I'll fail, but I'll have the last laugh when I'm a singer in Japan after graduation.
I say always go for your passion!!! xD
"There are many worlds, but they share the same sky -- One sky, one destiny."

Offline Kasaioni

• Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:16:56 AM »
These stories make post-secondary education sound more fun.

Hopefully by NEXT fall (2012) I'll be in Uni studying topics related to Classic history and English Literature.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
Ya Cosmic!!! Great to hear you're going for your passion!! xD
I'm in the same boat as you guys. My mom wants me to do something in science and my dad doesn't care too much as long as I get a job and can support myself, but you know what? I hate science.
I'm a Japanese major right now and after graduation I'm going to become a singer in Japan. My mom doubts me and my dad says I'll never make it without proper training, but I think if I keep working hard and keep improving as I am then it'll work out. My passions are singing/music and voice acting which are both difficult fields to get into and my parents most likely think I'll fail, but I'll have the last laugh when I'm a singer in Japan after graduation.
I say always go for your passion!!! xD

I'm already a fan of yours :D