Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Author Topic: Lamù has changed your life ?  (Read 12609 times)

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
Re: Lamù has changed your life ?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 01:59:06 AM »
Yeah, I know, I'm just speaking for me. Like I'm so shy that people sometimes don't notice I'm in a room.

Shy girls can sometimes appear to be unapproachable. They don't always look shy even if inside they are.
I'm shy around girls and really don't ask them out unless they show an interest first.
Of course now I'm married and they have to get my wife's permission before they ask.  ;)
Why keep a dog and bark yourself?

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »
Unapproachable? Well maybe that explains a lot lol its like i am nice but people sometimes think im mad too.

Offline Kasaioni

• Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 01:52:04 AM »
Urusei Yatsura hasn't really changed my real life, but it has given me an open eye to another type of anime. And I love it.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:19 AM »
Unapproachable? Well maybe that explains a lot lol its like i am nice but people sometimes think im mad too.

I lived overseas for years and many girls there are very shy and they can appear unapproachable or angry.
If you want to fix that just smile nicely and even if you are shy, people will be able to figure it out a bit more
easily.

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
Yep, it's as simple as that. Kinda back to the main topic though, she's really changed my life by teaching me how to work on my character. I've tried thinking about if I'm in common with her, but not so much. And don't get me wrong. It's not that I wanna be her or anything, but I admire her xD

I lived overseas for years and many girls there are very shy and they can appear unapproachable or angry.
If you want to fix that just smile nicely and even if you are shy, people will be able to figure it out a bit more
easily.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:01:51 PM by SonicxReiHino »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
I think we all learn some things from Anime that improve our personality and/or way of seeing things. I became a lot more determined about playing football without caring about my gender (football is for boys!) after watching Ataru fighting desperately for his girl-hunt and sometimes to save Lum.

Then, I got even more determined and confident about chasing my dreams and making them come true after I saw One Piece's Luffy. He's not my favourite character and he's far from it but the way he always yells his lungs out "ORE WA KAIZOKU OU OTOKO DA!!!!!!!!!!!", makes me keep walking forward when things or people are pulling me back from Law school. =)

Offline tomorrowist

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »
I got into Urusei Yatsura in the mid 90's. Back then in Australia, it was very hard to come by any manga or anime here, and when you did it was very expensive.  I first saw it in an issue of Animerica. I'm not sure how my friend came by it, but I love the story in that issue and decided to research it more. I happend to read one of the most popular issues of that manga I later found out, it was the one where Lum disappears and Ataru is heart broken when he thinks she actually left him for good this time (turns out she was renewing her passport).

I managed to collect a couple of videos and saw the movies, although it took a while to get my hands on them.  The original "Lum" series was actually bound, not stapled, and I manged to get a few of those, after that I started collecting the "Return of Lum" graphic novels.

It sparked my interest in other Takahashi series like Ranma, and eventually other anime. Then, after that, the wider Japanese culture.  After I graduated from University, I decided to go to Japan and joined the Nova program. Something I got sick of very quickly, ad soon became a English Elementary/Junior High Public School teacher. I meant the girl who would become my wife when she was a university student, and stayed there for 7 years in total, after that, we moved back to my home town of Canberra in Australia. I also ended up taking my wife's name of "Yoshimura" as well, as she is an only child.

So in a round about way, Lum had a huge effect of my life. I'm still very fond of it and will watch it every now and again and read the graphic novels.  I also have a quite a big (at least for an Australian) collection of Lum Chan related products.

I was also lucky enough to be over there when they held an exhibition in Ginza and saw some of the original drawing by Takahashi.

I also used one of the images as my wedding invitation :)

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 03:17:58 AM »
Wow. Just wow. THAT is the full-blown Fairy Tale come true! Good for you, tomorrowist, and thank you for sharing that with us.

Was the exhibition in Ginza in 2008? 

So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline tomorrowist

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 03:48:35 AM »
Yep, that's the one! It was really interesting. I got the book with all the artwork too which is amazing.  It also has a timeline of all the Takahashi Rumiko stories too, she is one hard working lady!  One of the most interesting things was her drawing of Lum. She hadn't done drawn her in about 20 years, and looks a bit different when she atempted it again, still Takahashi's style though. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.

Offline tomorrowist

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 04:13:10 AM »
Sorry for the double post, managed to track down what I think are the pictures I mentioned in my previous post.

Offline AtaruLum

• Huge Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
is this from the It's a Rumic World Artbook/Memorial Book?
(formerly known as AtaruLumFan or short ALF :D)
UY Voting in Germany:
Please vote for Urusei Yatsura in Germany weekly!

Offline tomorrowist

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
Yeah, it's a really good book! Excellent art work, and fun to flip through. These pics are from the from cover, the most recent drawing that Takahashi did of Lum. More reminiscent of Inu Yasha than her early work.

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
Tomorrowist, that was a very cool wedding invitation, very clever! My wife would have loved us to use something like that!  :hehe
Instead we texted everyone.  :o

Offline reoyoshi8

• Registered
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Urusei Yatsura hasn't really changed my real life, but it has given me an open eye to another type of anime. And I love it.
Yeah, same here.
Before UY, I've been watching more recent anime series. After UY, I've been watching more 80's and 90's animes and noticed alot of newer animes using borrowed plots and characters from older animes.
Its like the Honeymooners and the Flintstones relationship~

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »
That wedding invitation... is a pure win. ;D