Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Author Topic: Your anime life?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline foxhead556

• Huge Fan
Your anime life?
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:11 AM »
So i technically entered the world of anime when i was about 8 when i saw the anime Patlabor on some Asian network. But i didn't officially start watching anime till i was about 13 since i didn't even know Patlabor was an anime or its name. So i got caught up watching anime(mostly mechs) till i found Urusei Yatsura when i was 16? So my whole life was pretty much anime involved till i was forced to take a break when i was 19. And a couple of years later i got back into anime and here i am now.

Get Wild and Tough!

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Re: Your anime life?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
My Anime life began at 3 years old watching random Anime. Then at 4/5/6 years old Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon appeared. Then came Pokemon and years later Digimon. At this point, they were just cartoons. Later I watched Doraemon and even later DoReMi (don't know the original name). Then I stopped watching Anime because I would rather watch WWE or sports. Until I was 10 years old and found Urusei Yatsura episode 2 on TV and I just sat there and watched. I got addicted to it and I would get so angry when I missed an episode due dinner time. I would rush home to watch it and I would wait 4 hours of zapping for a new episode.

2 years later, I missed that Anime show and I wanted to re-watch it and that's when I remembered Lum's name and googled it. That's how I found this Forum :'D

And that's how I got in touch with Anime community for the first time. xD

Offline theclaw

• The protector.
  • Fan
  • Weird and weird.
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
Maybe bits and pieces of random anime when a kid. But I of course didn't think it different than any other animation or cartoons then. I later got caught up in the colossal Pokemon and WWE fads, as they overlapped about 1999 or so. I've still got remnants of those around here.

I guess I didn't have interest in "anime" in the usual sense until stumbling upon Haruhi years later. It'd be nice to see more of that story than the TV episodes, might pick up manga or novels sometime.

As for what any of this has to do with Urusei Yatsura... Well I don't think I'd have thought much of it, if not for TMNT long ago. Heck I can't be the only one who felt similar either. Trivia type people may recall Game Arts was involved in (not that great) video games for both properties.

Actually I didn't know about UY until 2009 as my reg date here shows. And yes, I'm among its very few originally English-speaking American fans.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
Well... My anime life started the same as all of you watching what we would call cartoons... later to find out it was something else. Probably it all started with Saber Rider... then Sailor Moon (thank you sisters), Dragon Ball and then Card Captor Sakura... I'm sure I watched other animes before those but really can't remember... heck I'm one of the people that watched the first Power Rangers export series where all characters where Japanese and it happened in Japan.

As for Lum... I just accidentally "zapped" to the channel that was airing the series (was 2nd episode) and I was just captivated for the comedy and the fact it was my first japanese experience... ;D
Then I searched the web... found this site... lurked around for a few weeks because it looked dead... then It moved to a new website (don't remember if I was already a member by that point) I learned there was hundreds more animes in the world and that's how I got to be a anime fan...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
My Anime Life .... May want to start back at My Cartoon Life. That is to say, western-hemisphere animation. And, that starts at Day One: March 17th 1956. As far back as I can remember ... no, wait: BEFORE I can remember -- there was a cartoon show about a little kid who made sound-effects noises instead of speaking: Gerald McBoingBoing. My mom told me that I used to make the sound-effects noises with him as I watched. Yet, I cannot remember watching Gerald McBoingBoing. So. BEFORE I can remember ... I loved animation.

WarnerBrothers' (their theatrical shorts presented in TV format) and Hanna-Barbara shows (The Flintstones and The Jetsons in prime-time; their Saturday-morning kiddee-fodder shows as well). Then, JayWard's cerebral mayhem (Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle) once I got old enough to get the puns.

In my 30's I discovered European animation, CGI and the New Breed of comedic animation through the International Tournee of Animation compilation films. Shorts by Bozetto, PIXAR, Plympton, OliveJar, Kricfalusi, and on and on.

At some time in the mid-1990's I stumbled onto a review in The Comics Journal (I was reading independent comic books at that time: the self-published masterwork Cerebus being the center of my comics fandom) of a newly-dubbed Japanese animated film. For no reason I can discern, it caught my eye. I lucked into finding a copy of the film (on VHS, dub-only) at a local video rental store. I rented it. I loved it.

Urusei Yatsura 2 - Beautiful Dreamer.

But, I never followed up on it....

... Until about 2006. I was playing on-line (on AOL, on dial-up) and remembered about "that anime series, what was it called again???" and searched the name ... and found a couple forums with information about the series ... of which Lum-Chan is one. I began reading. I liked it more as I read. I found AnimEigo and in 2007 began buying the DVD's of the series. And, in September of 2007, I joined here at Lum-chan (still remember getting the Evil Eye from Kroptik -- "noticed you'd been lurking, wondered when you were gonna post").

Since then -- picked up AzumangaDaioh on my own, but ... a review of Haruhi here lead me to that series .. which lead to LuckyStar .. which lead to K-On! ... which lead to many other series (most recent: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt). Currently collecting Touhou Project figures and music (just DL'ed a buttload of Touhou OST's from my friend 7h3D4rkw0lf) and learning to play EoSD, and out-of-my-mind over VOCALOID.

So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline foxhead556

• Huge Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
dam what Tv channel was this with UY being on? But anyways you guys take any major breaks from anime like me at 1 pt?

Get Wild and Tough!

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »
I first got the concept about anime in an issue of Pokemon World magazine whilst on a holiday in France in 2003. In 2008 I accidentally found an episode of Urusei Yatsura on youtube and I watched a few episodes and got hooked on it. I watched the whole anime before I watched any other shows, the next was Neon Genesis Evangelion, again on youtube but it's OK now because I bought it later on. After that I began watching Case Closed. In 2010 I bought my first manga was a single isolated purchase called Bus Gamer. in May '10 I started buying DVDs when I got a TV DVD combo in my room, the first was a Death Note boxset. Now I have loads of DVDs and I started seriously buying manga in October '10. Now I have a lot anime and quite a lot of manga. My most recent anime I bought was Martian Successor Nadesico which I have finished watching and the most recent manga was Fullmetal Alchemist volume 10 and Case Closed volume 7.       
She/her

Offline Lum-chan

• Administrator
  • Fearless Leader
    • The World of Urusei Yatsura's Lum
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »
Nice. It remembers me of the time when I made this page.

It surely needs extended a bit. Bring on the good stories  ^O^
Lum-chan

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
My anime life? Well I don't remember the order in which everything happened, so I'll just list the animes.

Sailor Moon- my first anime I found out about when I was four. I watched everything but the 2nd season. I would think more about the 5th one, but since they didn't dub it, and I was too lazy to watch the subs, I pretty much got VHS tapes if I ever wanted to watch it. It was fun getting the dolls too :D. I think I started getting those when I was around 11 or 10.

Dragonball-i just thought this was the best action anime, and for the longest I had a crush on Goku. Not sure when I found this anime, but after I didn't hesitate to watch DBZ. Do you know that anime turned out to be a lot better? But when I look back at it now, I dislike the fillers, and how they make you wait so long to figure things out. D: it and Dragonball still has a place in my heart though.

Tenchi Muyo- i found this anime on t.v. And started watching Tenchi Muyo Univers when Toonami existed.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
dam what Tv channel was this with UY being on? But anyways you guys take any major breaks from anime like me at 1 pt?

Yes. Like when I get addicted on some game or am busy with law school.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 01:39:38 AM »
I get  breaks from watching anime when I'm on vacations. Sounds weird but I watch most of the anime (or use forums) at work so... yeah... for me work = watching anime. ;D
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?