Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15

Author Topic: New UY Series??!! True Or False??  (Read 20734 times)

Offline Superchick24

• Fan
New UY Series??!! True Or False??
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:23:12 AM »
Hey everyone. I have a question. I recently was told by my sister that a friend of hers went to a convention or heard on otakumagazine..(not sure which one) but that there were rumors that Urusei Yatsura was being re released by a company that was given rights by Rumiko Takahashi to re make the series in a more modern version for the U.S. and Japan in 2013. Apparently a guy started a petition in Japan that had enough signatures  to get noticed and so they plan to do this dub/ re release of UY in 2013. I have not seen nor heard of this and it seems like a rumor to me. I assumed that the OVA "Obstacle Course Swim Meet" was the final thing to be released for this show since it to me is a masterpiece as it is.  I thought i would ask you..my fellow lum experts because im sure if there was new news regarding this show that you guys would be the first to know. If there is something that you guys find please share and please share your thoughts on this. You guys think if its true is it a good idea? Would the series be accepted as well as the old one?? Just thoughts opinions..I would love to hear them.

;) :???
~Lost In My Daydreams~

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Re: New UY Series??!! True Or False??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:31:11 PM »
I don't want re-makes. I want UY 2.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »
well... the Dr. Slum anime got a remake or two, I think, and it was a large series, so I can see why it might happen.

I'd watch it, thought chances that the same voices actors will get used, I'm not so sure...

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
I really hope they are planning a remake of Urusei Yatsura, I can't find it anywhere on google or anime news network so its unlikely. Also Otaku magazine made their last issue in Febuary 2009.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:16:22 PM by Urusei0Yatsura »
She/her

Offline foxhead556

• Huge Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
i hope they remake it(but i would like the sequel) but hey its still UY right? But if this is true i would fly to Japan just to give a hug to the guy who made the petition.

Get Wild and Tough!

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »
The thing is, remakes are only to improve the anime. Guess what? You can't improve UY. Why? Because the only way they could improve it is to remove Kitsune and turn Jariten less annoying but guess what? It wouldn't be UY that RT has created. It would be something else. Even if it was, it's very unlikely to change characters or even remove them.

And it's like: why would I watch a remake when I have the original? Same story. O.o

Heck, even when I want to watch an Anime, if there's a remake, I'll ALWAYS watch the original, even if it's worse.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:34:09 AM by cata »

Offline AtaruLum

• Huge Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 06:24:29 PM »
I love the old animation. If they would a remake, then only, if the story is following more the original manga story and stories, there are not included in the old anime. I heard, there a many differences between the manga and the anime.

The problem in dubbing for other countries is, there are not really good voices for Urusei Yatsura. Urusei Yatsura has 3 different US Dubs, an AnimEigo Dub for Movie 1,3-5 , a CPM Dub for Movie 2 and a different AnimEigo Dub for the first two TV Episodes, that was only released on VHS. Other English Dubs: Lum the Invader girl UK Dub and the Animax Asia Dub.

an example: CLIP: Those Obnoxious Aliens! (Urusei Yatsura) English Dub

Lums ~datcha is in the US Dub ~icha, but Fumi Hirano's ~datcha is really cuter than this.
(formerly known as AtaruLumFan or short ALF :D)
UY Voting in Germany:
Please vote for Urusei Yatsura in Germany weekly!

Offline Superchick24

• Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
Yeah...i would prefer the real voices then the dub...this dub is alright but not that great. If i was to just for the first time sit and watch...it would be the japanese version. I would totally watch a new series but i would want Viz or Funimation to do the dub if anything...But anyway...if not the original will always be the best to me regardless.

:hehe
~Lost In My Daydreams~

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
I really believe that the only weakness of UruseiYatsura is the animation. My personal wish-list includes 'have Kyoto Animation re-animate the UruseiYatsura TV series".
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
 It's like Sailor Moon. People want that anime back its been gone for so long, but a remake of UY doesn't sound necessary.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
^ Thank you! \o/

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »
I would like this new UY series to make some cultural updates but keep the same flavor as the original

2013 still seems quite far away if we consider how fast series can be done nowadays

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »
Some things that I would like to see from the remake are stories that were cut out from the manga or had bits cut out of them should be left in, one example was when Kurama tried to reform Ataru it was so much better in the manga but was cut out from anime making the anime counterpart good but nowhere near as good as the manga version.

They could cut out Kintaro, he was a bad character that kept reoccurring, they could also cut out that scarecrow that seemed to belong to a children's anime.

Has anyone been able to confirm that they are making a remake of Urusei Yatsura?
She/her

Offline RepublicEmpire

• Casual Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 06:53:34 AM »
What you remake UY? To reanimate the series or redo the whole thing which they have to bring old cast back. But if they reanimate the series and using audio clips of old one to save time. The worse case is replace old cast who made the famous show with younger cast is a bad idea. I hope of this rumor is true, if not it was a nice idea.

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »
The thing is, remakes are only to improve the anime. Guess what? You can't improve UY. Why? Because the only way they could improve it is to remove Kitsune and turn Jariten less annoying but guess what? It wouldn't be UY that RT has created. It would be something else. Even if it was, it's very unlikely to change characters or even remove them.

And it's like: why would I watch a remake when I have the original? Same story. O.o

Heck, even when I want to watch an Anime, if there's a remake, I'll ALWAYS watch the original, even if it's worse.
Totally agree with you. UY doesn't need to be remade lol.

Offline Ryou

• Casual Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »
I definitely don't want a remake, but a sequel of it starting from the final chapter (The 5th movie). We all know that Rumiko's cast won't grow up if the anime is placed in 2013 or any other year, just that technology updates need to happen (Like if Ataru instead of asking for phone numbers and addresses, now he'll ask for mobile numbers, e-mails and such).

And something that seems possible here are new characters; I mean, new guys to the original cast is not bad, but I'm completely sure that fans wouldn't like to see something that doesn't feel "Rumic". I'd rather see characters from the original cast that weren't very popular brought to the main cast, like Prim and her fiancée (The underground prince), Nozomi, Kaede and the ninjas, the other six goddesses (Benten's gang), the florist girl, Mr. Hanawa, Natsuko (the psycho volleyball captain), Sakura's mother, Suyuko Amamori, etcetera.

And just only one more thing, keep the facial expressions original, we all know that in the original Urusei expressions like anger or enjoyment are often drawn with big mouths, big eyes... everything is facial, nothing drawn over the faces (parallel lines, drops, noisy doodles).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:01:19 AM by Ryou »

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »
^ Thank you! \o/
Your welcome. It has to be said. Remakes usually upset people anyway.

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I definitely don't want a remake, but a sequel of it starting from the final chapter (The 5th movie). We all know that Rumiko's cast won't grow up if the anime is placed in 2013 or any other year, just that technology updates need to happen (Like if Ataru instead of asking for phone numbers and addresses, now he'll ask for mobile numbers, e-mails and such).

And something that seems possible here are new characters; I mean, new guys to the original cast is not bad, but I'm completely sure that fans wouldn't like to see something that doesn't feel "Rumic". I'd rather see characters from the original cast that weren't very popular brought to the main cast, like Prim and her fiancée (The underground prince), Nozomi, Kaede and the ninjas, the other six goddesses (Benten's gang), the florist girl, Mr. Hanawa, Natsuko (the psycho volleyball captain), Sakura's mother, Suyuko Amamori, etcetera.

And just only one more thing, keep the facial expressions original, we all know that in the original Urusei expressions like anger or enjoyment are often drawn with big mouths, big eyes... everything is facial, nothing drawn over the faces (parallel lines, drops, noisy doodles).

A sequel to the 5th movie! That'd be so wonderful! I love your idea! *hugs you tight* that would really be something, since the ending leaves you hanging a bit. And yes, Ataru could ask for emails and mobile phones. I could see him like, "Can I have your facebook, twitter, myspace, cell phone" xD

Offline Ryou

• Casual Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 04:36:07 AM »
I'm glad you liked it, and... well, just the time will tell us if this is gonna happen

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 03:38:39 AM »
I think if they do make a new series maybe Funimation should dub it.

Offline Kasaioni

• Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
They should do a monthly or quarterly OVA or something. That would be good enough for me.

Offline gaudintig

• Registered
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
Ataru2, on est 2 français !  ;D
And we hope that if a new serie is produced, we will can watch it on our french tv, or it's only in US and Japan?

Offline foxhead556

• Huge Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 05:12:04 AM »
ahhh man u guys gotta stop exciting me like this xP My eyes always light up when i see the label "New" next to this topic ^^

Get Wild and Tough!

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »
Even if they do make a new UY it will NEVER be like the old one and if they try and duplicate the old series it will flop.
For example look at Bugs Bunny, for years they tried to re-invent him and it always failed. Too much has changed.
So finally they dropped the old school and went all new and so far it's working.
Watching Ataru girl hunt on the Internet or do a ton of texting won't be the same as the original.
They would also likely make it more PC as well.  >:(
Why keep a dog and bark yourself?

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »
I'd like to see it remade but I would hate to see it turned into an anime where the producers think a good show is one with lots of fanservice like ikki tousen or master of martial hearts. I would most like to see a few episode introduction to establish the characters and the situations and to briefly go over what happens in the manga and movies and then a continuation from the end of the manga. I would like to see the show with modern production values, up to date humour and better animation. Also if it was good it would boost the shows's and manga's popularity and maybe here if it gets licenced and hopefully by funimation with a good English dub.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:47:43 AM by Urusei0Yatsura »
She/her

Offline Kasaioni

• Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »
Yea, I guess it'd be best to leave it alone.

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 02:25:55 AM »
I would like to see the show with modern production values ... and better animation.

EXACTLY!! If I have any complaint about UY, it's that it is held back by 1980's production values.

I'd like to see it remade but I would hate to see it turned into an anime ... with lots of fanservice ....

... brings the recently-viewed Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai to mind: became a fan service show which detracted from its story and lowered its quality.

Also if it was good ... if it gets licenced (and hopefully by Funimation) with a good English dub.

Unfortunately, UY is OWNED by VIZ these days. But I know what you mean: a high-quality dub can help a show (and anything less than the highest quality of dub ruins it).
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline AtaruLum

• Huge Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
Unfortunately, UY is OWNED by VIZ these days. But I know what you mean: a high-quality dub can help a show (and anything less than the highest quality of dub ruins it).

what? the manga i know, but the anime? I found only a petition http://www.change.org/petitions/viz-media-english-dub-the-urusei-yatsura-anime
UY Voting in Germany:

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
This is why AnimEigo lost the license for it. VIZ is consolidating all Takahashi's works into its own grasp (even 'though it means there will be no DVDs of UY available).
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline AtaruLum

• Huge Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
Well, only because AnimEigo have lost the rights to UY, it does not mean automatically that Viz has the rights. They have already lost the rights on Maison Ikkoku Manga, TV series and Ranma 1/2 OVAs. I know that VIZ is own by the Japanese-Shoeshia Shogakukan Productions (ShoPro), like here in Germany the company "Kaze Deutschland" also own to this Japanese company, but every company need to aquire separatly the rights. Kaze Deutschland have only rights on the first 80 episodes of ranma 1/2 tv series (which has only the cut rtl 2 version and only german dub) and Maison Ikkoku: Kanketsuhen (which was never released in the USA), but not on other Takahashi series like Inuyasha or Urusei Yatsura.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:40:53 AM by AtaruLumFan »
UY Voting in Germany:

Offline foxhead556

• Huge Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
Whats the point of viz having the UY license if they dont do anything!? Like if you gonna own the UY rights put it to good use like releasing the manga or dvd translated :X 

Get Wild and Tough!

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 06:59:17 AM »
The point is probably the same one as Disney owning all the rights to Studio Ghibli and never releasing any films in the US.  >:(

Offline lilwiz

• Fan
  • Lea Sah <:
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »
Whats the point of viz having the UY license if they dont do anything!? Like if you gonna own the UY rights put it to good use like releasing the manga or dvd translated :X 

every time i accept that UY is done and over (it was really hard after the OVA) i hear more rumors :P i'm not gunna get my hopes up but i agree at least if they did a little something it would raise publicity or something.

Offline JaneStar

• Registered
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »
Moderator Break:

Sorry, JaneStar, but you will have to find another place to post propaganda for that psychic mumbo jumbo

This be just a warning so do not push your luck

Regards,
Moderation Team
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:10:39 AM by Cosmic King »

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 05:08:04 AM »
So, you want to see a new series of UY.
However... maybe my question will seem strange to you.
But whether you'd like to meet and communicate and maybe more with a REAL Lum?
And not only Lum, but also with any other character, does not matter, he is real or not, and travel in any virtual worlds?
At first glance this all seems very strange, but in fact it's available to everyone absolutely, and this can be learned in a few days, if there is a desire.

Would you like to?
This is absolutely possible to arrange.

All information is here: http://obe4u.com/. Pay attention to the a practical guidebook.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

I am sorry to inform you this on your 1st post, JaneStar, but this ain`t the place to make propaganda to psychic mumbo jumbo

I highly suggest you to better enjoy the wonders we offer at the forum instead of posting strange stuff since it is not very welcome considering our ethos
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:04:30 PM by Lum-chan »

Offline foxhead556

• Huge Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 05:17:25 AM »
At least he mentioned Lum ^^ Not like the other random spam lol

Get Wild and Tough!

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »
off-topic post is off-topic.
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
I don't think a production company will remake an anime just because of a petition, companies sell things if they think it will sell. People seem to think petition and letter campaigns will get funimation to dub and release more episodes of Case Closed but the reality is they will only do that if they reach their season box sets sales targets.

Off topic: Watch the show and take LSD? Seriously, I don't think its possible to seperate mind from body but I think its possible to make yourself think you are. I think the stuff Janestar linked to is complete pseudoscience though and I don't think it will get the claimed results.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:07:26 PM by Urusei0Yatsura »
She/her

Offline REDACTED

• Big Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
I didn't follow the link but Placebos have proven as effective as treating illnesses as many new drugs coming onto the market.
The ones that might be more effective usually seem to have deadly side effects.

Taking any illegal drug is bad, the legal ones are bad enough.

I want to watch Lum & Ataru battle it out sober and in my right mind, not messed up on some weird drug!
If I want to feel really really good, I just cuddle up with my wife!  :mrgreen:
That'll beat any drug out there!

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »
I didn't follow the link but Placebos have proven as effective as treating illnesses as many new drugs coming onto the market.
The ones that might be more effective usually seem to have deadly side effects.

Taking any illegal drug is bad, the legal ones are bad enough.

I want to watch Lum & Ataru battle it out sober and in my right mind, not messed up on some weird drug!
If I want to feel really really good, I just cuddle up with my wife!  :mrgreen:
That'll beat any drug out there!

Kudos to you, good sir!

Now I shall lock this topic unless we get actual news regarding the future of UY animation