Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Author Topic: Do you prefer anime with subs or dubs?  (Read 9810 times)

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
Do you prefer anime with subs or dubs?
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
Do you prefer to watch anime in its original Japanese with subtitles in your language or watch dubs?
She/her

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
Re: Do you prefer anime with subs or dubs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »
I think we already had a topic like this, but I can't find it. xD

Anyway, for me, save a few exception (Pokemon, Digimon, DragonBall, etc) anime has to be in Japanese with English subtitles, otherwise it just doesn't feel right. :P
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
For the sake of convenience, I prefer dubs. Less reading involved (less likely to get distracted), and I like hearing familiar voice actors in different shows. There are cases where the dub is better than the sub. Example, Sgt Frog and possibly Gurren Lagann.

However, I'll watch sub if there is no dub. And if the dub for it comes out later, then I get to enjoy it a second time :D

Dubs do tend to have things cut or jokes hard to translate, but online anime tends not to have that many problems (compared to anime that get aired for general audiences).

In summary, using a scale:

Dub------------------------Center-----------------------------Sub
                                  ^Me

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline dak

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
sub with original voice cast without doubt, can't deny that dub is good but the original is the best
The only person Lum love is Ataru.
Only thing i can do is watch over her from darkness.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Hum... This was already discussed in another topic...

http://www.lum-chan.com/index.php?topic=1752.30

I'm not locking this up because... well... it's not like that topic was meant for subs vs dubs discussion so... you're free to go, Urusei0Yatsura. xD

Hum...My opinion on this is the same as Kroptik's.

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:38:06 AM »
With me, it's whatever I see first. A notable exception is UruseiYatsura, in which I first saw the second movie dubbed (on VHS, no language option); later, whe I began watching the TV episodes I became accustomed to the original seiyuu and subs and so THAT became The Standard for me.

Been watching anime (fansubbed) on-line lately, so I don't think I'll accept a dub once I've accepted the original actors with subs.

Having said that: a good dub (LuckyStar, AxisPowersHetalia, even Haruhi) is an asset. A bad dub (Spice and Wolf, IMHO) will absolutely kill a show for me.
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline lilwiz

• Fan
  • Lea Sah <:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:16 AM »
I think we already had a topic like this, but I can't find it. xD

Anyway, for me, save a few exception (Pokemon, Digimon, DragonBall, etc) anime has to be in Japanese with English subtitles, otherwise it just doesn't feel right. :P

my thoughts exactly. But just to add, after a long time of reading subs it doesn't even feel like ur reading. It feels comfortable and unnoticed.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
When you understand vocabulary, sometimes you don't even read or when you do, you notice some mistakes on the subs. In Digimon Frontier, there were some big mistakes on a fansub I watched. x_X

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:27:00 AM »
When you understand vocabulary, sometimes you don't even read or when you do, you notice some mistakes on the subs. In Digimon Frontier, there were some big mistakes on a fansub I watched. x_X

That's the main reason why I haven't watched the last OVA yet...
The subs are so full of mistakes. >_<
And I hardly know any Japanese to begin with. :S
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:48:22 AM »

my thoughts exactly. But just to add, after a long time of reading subs it doesn't even feel like ur reading. It feels comfortable and unnoticed.

I agree with all of this... I just want to add my point of view on something... In hentai there's no room for dubs... because... well they are bad... except for italian dubs... for some reason they have some that are really good.
I also agree with Veehive... Probably thats the reason I like the Dragonball portuguese dubs.
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:50:28 AM »

I agree with all of this... I just want to add my point of view on something... In hentai there's no room for dubs... because... well they are bad... except for italian dubs... for some reason they have some that are really good.
I also agree with Veehive... Probably thats the reason I like the Dragonball portuguese dubs.
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline swizzle

• Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »
I like watching RAW anime. No subs since I can understand it, but it has to be the Japanese voices for me. Occasionally I'll watch with subs when it's a show with more complicated vocab., but for the most part I just watch RAW.
"There are many worlds, but they share the same sky -- One sky, one destiny."

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »
I think its very impressive to have learned Japanese Swizzle, I have just started to learn it from a book and I find it difficult.  I think we would all watch the Japanese if we could understand it Swizzle, I know I would, but I think most of us cannot.
She/her

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »
I've seen anime both in its original dubs or english dubs and all I can say although rare there are good English voice actors, but sometimes it doesn't make up for the rest of the cast that doesn't do as well.  But think of why some reasons why may the dubs or the translations themselves may be bad sometimes, first off read this article this may shed some light
http://kotaku.com/5679474/the-surprising-ways-japanese-games-are-changed-for-americans?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29

To start off the target audience in many works are the Japanese so the voices in mind for projects are Japanese, though it may not be entirely true
one thing proven that is that Japan has different tastes from what Americans do so Anime is not as demanded here in America. (sorry if I have specifically mention America since its mostly what I see here)
so much Anime isn't given much attention financially here and American voice actors don't fit in.
I could go in deeper in all of this, but it should suffice.
but this is only what I think though.

As for the fansubs, if you don't like a fansub group, choose another one. If you don't like the other ones or they are the only ones doing the work, then either learn Japanese so you won't need subs and maybe do them yourself or wait for the localization and complain about them.
its either bad dubs or bad subs, beggars can't be choosers so deal on what is given to you. but if an option is presented it will be just a matter of preference.

▲
▲ ▲

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »
Hum... I kept on watching a terrible dub because it was the only available one in non-torrent formats. X_x