Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Author Topic: Touhou Project  (Read 7911 times)

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
Touhou Project
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
Decided to start a thread about this. The Touhou (Shrine Maiden) Project is a series of computer games created mainly by the independant developer Team Shanghai Alice (a one-man "team": Junya Outa, a.k.a. "ZUN": doing all the coding, art, story, and music himself). The series has spawned a gigantic fanbase who happily produce their own comics, animations, music (taking melodies from the game themes), fanfics, and collectables.

Some of the animations & music have been showing up here in the song-sharing thread. So, we're aware of them, and they are enjoyed. Possibly enough to keep a memorandum of Touhou news here in this Other Anime catagory.

(I'm tempted to call this thread the "Bunbunmaru Shinbun" after the name of the newspaper/gossip-rag that is produced within the Touhou storyline. But that would be too obtuse a reference.)

So, why does this now merit being in "Other Anime"?

Because an official Touhou Project anime has just been announced.

Me so haaappyyy! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
Re: Touhou Project
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »
Because an official Touhou Project anime has just been announced.

I demand a name, plot, release date and number of episodes. D:
Also links to anything related to it...

I love the games, even if they're hard as hell (they're not called bullet hell games for nothing ;D).
Not sure it'll work as an anime, but I guess I'm about to find out. :o

Edit: By the way, is this what you were talking about?
http://www.animekon.com/news-1278-Anime-Tenchou-x-Touhou-Project-Announced.html
Please say it ain't so, I don't want a stupid crossover...   :'(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:55:10 AM by Kroptik »
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:31:21 AM »
Dat's De One. Fortunately and unfortunately.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more ... concerned ... I am that it will be corrupted by the presence of Anime Tenchou (the raging anime-store-manager "mascot" for the Animate store chain, who was parodied so perfectly in LuckyStar). But, it will bring Touhou to the screen and will prove whether Touhou can work as a story (which I think Touhou WILL).

Would LIKE to have seen "A Summer Day's Dream" finished. Wonder what happened? Did Studio Maikaze run out of money?
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »
Bah, but crossovers suck when you want a good story. D:
Sure, the One Piece X Dragon Ball one-shot was awesome, but it completely out of both storylines.

I actually wanted one that followed Touhou's story, because I never understood it with the games in Japanese. :S
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
the games are fun and challenging, I don't remember where I said this before but I think that there shouldn't be a official touhou anime. Because in the game the characters are one way and the fans have portrayed them in another way like a doujin of a doujin. but that's me, lets see how this one turns out.

▲
▲ ▲

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:39:56 AM »
A camrip of a preview has been posted on YouTube. If there have been any fears over the mash-up of Touhou and the mascots for the Animate stores, they have been seriously arrested.

(the preview for Touhou Project begins 0'36" into the video)

アニメ店長×東方プロジェクト予告ムービー

edit ~ 2010.10.12: Sadly, this YouTuber has elected to keep the video Private. We can no longer view it. Allow me to tell you then: the footage looks DAMN GOOD ... a gleeful Flandre in the air above Tokyo, her hexagramic demon aura in full rotation about her; the Scarlet Devil mansion in tatters before a background of Metro Tokyo (reminds me of the delapidated school in UY2); Marisa flying fast amidst the skyscrapers, towing AnimeTenchou with her ....

Very VERY promising.

I have but two hopes now: that the preview will be placed on-line, and that the anime itself will be made available for purchase.

edit again ~ 2010.10.13: the video has been posted by another YouTuber (I think this one will stay)трейлер по Touhou

... and, an interesting 3D video of a fight between Reimu Hakurei and Utsuho Reiuji (the one with the nuclear arm cannon) was listed nearby. For your amusement then:  【HD】 東方闘犬劇SE - Touhou 3D DogFight SE Edition

edit ~ 2010.10.17: I just keep running into more and more Touhou wonderfulness:

A short animation, almost like an OP. Amazing quality. Several copies of this are on YouTube but THIS one has the words supertitled and an English translation subtitled. Open it up to YouTube, enhance it to 720p or 1080p as your computer will handle, and then open it up to full screen and enjoy!
【English Subs】 【Touhou】幻想万華鏡 ~The Memories of Phantasm~

But, wait, it gets better. Want a download (no subs, 'though)? Thanks to my friend 7h3d4rkw0lf : http://www.mediafire.com/?rrb2k2pbabuqrmv

[note to self: purple text does NOT work on these green backgrounds ;D]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:50:54 PM by veehive »
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »
*bump*

mmm... yeah I know it's a Double-Post (I can hear knives being unsheathed as I type) but it's been a long time (Uh oh --  Thread Necromancy -- I can hear more knives being unsheathed as I type).

As I wander through Gensoukyo (the setting for Touhou, if ya don't know), I've been keeping an eye for UY-Touhou crossover art. There IS an Oni girl in Touhou (actually, TWO of 'em) but Suika Ibuki couldn't be more different than Lum. Anyway, found a crossover fanart!

This is Ran Yakumo, the 9-tailed fox, cosplaying as Lum. Suika Ibuki is sleep-flying through (as Ten-chan?), with Lum's bandeau caught on her long horns.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Hope you enjoy! If I find any more I'll surely post 'em.
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
Was just co-miserating with another Touhou fan (shout out to my man Arche), wondering what became of the Animate-Touhou crossover OVA -- previously only shared from a camrip ... and was wandering around YouTube tonight and came across this: the trailer for the OVA, full-screen.
#Invalid YouTube Link#

The animation art looks great:

And, while wandering around YouTube I chanced across this: the teaser for the forthcoming episode 2 of "A Summer Day's Dream" from Maikaze Animation:
#Invalid YouTube Link#

Animation and character design show improvement over ep.1, don't you think? :*)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:48:06 PM by veehive »
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
Time goes on and anime derived from the Touhou Project keep getting promised. A pair of very short (like OP length) pieces came out at this year's Reitaisai (the annual Touhou-specific convention): one each from ManpukuJinja and Maikaze.

So, here we are, the weekend of Comiket 82. Maikaze pulls an ace out of their hat: A Summer Day's Dream 2 FULL EPISODE. Continuing their episode 1 (made 4 years ago), many improvements. And here, expertly fansubbed by a joint between Ahodomo and Evetaku fansubs, in glorious 1080p.

#Invalid YouTube Link#
So Old, I'm Young Again!