Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Author Topic: Anime Vs Cartoons  (Read 20080 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Anime Vs Cartoons
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 05:48:39 PM »
can I find a better version of that video? Mine seemed to have the video stalling until the end where it suddenly sped up to catch up to the audio.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
Better version of the video... That's the one on the Tonight Show website... I don't know of any other... sry.

btw... It worked fine for me.
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 01:42:11 AM »
it works now, thank you for the link.

is there a way to download it?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 01:52:59 AM »
http://vodpod.com/watch/1955864-the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-conan-andy-do-manga-072409-video-nbc-com

Try this thin... they have an option called "collect this video" I don't know if its the same as downloading... I haven't tried it because we need to register...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 03:33:50 AM »
I can upload on YouTube for ya if you want...

Offline janus

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
pretty nice video you found there falling, I was seriously laughing about the wallet part

▲
▲ ▲

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »
I only got time to see the video now.

I seriously want those NGE and etc. posters.
They actually made "MANGA!!!!!!" sound awesome!

Thanks for sharing. I used to find that show boring and a waste of time but now since they did this, it went on my ranking. =)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »
thanks, SonicDaMan, that would be helpful.

Sry, Falling, but ur collect video idea doesn't seem to work. I dunno what that thing is for...

Can you tell me when it gets uploaded? I wanna be able to get it before some copyright tries to take it down, if that.

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2009, 04:01:54 AM »
ill upload it tomorrow

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
Have you uploaded it yet? :S

Going back to the video we're making. I finished writing the first 2 and a half pages of script. (Some things have to be left open in the script till I've written other parts of it). I wanted to see if there was anything wrong with it, so I'm showing it here:

Q: Hello, I’m QuizGuru

P: And I’m PowerDodge69

Q: This is the first video we’ve made together.

P: And it wasn’t easy since we live 8 hours away from each other.

Q: But we made it, and so we’re here to present to you our (insert time) long episode entitled “Anime Versus Cartoons”

P: So why did we decide to make this?

Q: Well, I guess it all started when I was having a forum debate about the subject and I suddenly got the idea to make a video to prove the differences between Anime and Cartoons.

P: So anyway, here’s the schedule for the video, first we will be discussing the differences in Genres.

Q: Next we will go into the Themes, as in the opening and ending sequences that all shows have.

P: Following that will be how the Characters are portrayed in the two different show types.

Q: Plot will then be discussed as it is one of the most crucial differences between Anime and Cartoons.

P: Then we will get into the more complicated parts, beginning with Backgrounds.

Q: After that is Detail, Angles…

P: And finishing up with Content.

Q: Then at the end, we’ll have a special performance, aided by two of our other friends.

P: But before we get into any of this, I think we should answer this question “What is the definition of an Anime and a Cartoon?”

Q: Well, luckily, we looked them both up on the internet dictionary. Let’s start with Cartoons.

P: “Cartoon: A sketch or drawing, usually humorous, as in a newspaper or periodical, symbolizing, satirizing, or caricaturing some action, subject, or person of popular interest.”

Q: “Anime: A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art and often adult themes.”

P: So right off the bat, by definition, Anime and Cartoons are different. So why are we making this long video?

Q: Some people are not satisfied with this by itself. In fact, I have a direct quote from the person I was debating with on the forum, Lum-Chan.com. This was shortly after my denial of anime being a type of cartoon. Ahem…

“So anime isn't a series of pictures displayed at a speed that gives the illusion of motion? Is that what you're saying? Because that's what a cartoon (of the animated variety) is.”

P: WHAT?

Q: Okay, first I did not say that anime wasn’t “a series of pictures displayed at a speed…” etc etc. I said it wasn’t a type of cartoon.

P: There’s something wrong with that statement… EVERYTHING you see on a TV or a movie screen is “a series of pictures displayed at a speed that gives the illusion of motion” not just cartoons.

Q: Before we move to Genres, there’s one aspect we have in our notes that I wanted to mention, as we couldn’t fit it in another category. Here you read it.

P: Let’s see… It should be fairly clear that most of the time, Anime is derived from Manga. Cartoons, therefore, are derived from comic books or comic strips.

Q: However, this doesn’t seem to occur as much as transfer from Manga to Anime, and there are a number of Anime AND Cartoons that aren’t derived from a prior media.

P: So if Manga and Comic Strips are the origins, when were these created?

Q: According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_strip), Comic Strips started in the 1930’s as adventure stories.

P: 1930’s??? That’s almost 80 years ago!

Q: I know. However, according to an article by Matt Thorn in 2005 (http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/history.html) Manga was developed in the 18th century. That’s between 200 and 300 years ago!

P: That’s nuts, so manga is older than comics?

Q: Not quite… according to his article, the Manga from this era are not DIRECT ancestors of modern day Manga. More like the content was transferred over, but the presentation of multi-panels was adapted from comic strips.

P: Ahh… so then manga comes from comics then.

Q: That's not quite true either. Who’s to say that modern day Manga would be the same if not for the 18th century manga content, content which we will discuss later in this video.

P: According to Matt’s article, there were some differences between the first manga and the comics of those days. For starters, Comics were seen as more of a children’s entertainment. But Manga stayed with people through high school and even college! There are adults who read manga too. Another thing is that while comics were seen as a boy’s thing, Manga had a sort of split between Boy Manga, Shounen, and Girl Manga, Shoujo.

Q: I think that completes our first segment of the video, from this point on we will no longer be talking about Manga or Comic Strips. If you want to know more of the history, check out Matt’s article. Moving on, we’re going to discuss Genre.

That's what I have so far. Once I pick my anime to example from, I'm gonna write the Genre section.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:20:26 PM by UruseiNeo »

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2009, 01:23:29 AM »
Have you uploaded it yet? :S

To be quite honest with ya, I kinda forgot XD. Thanks for reminding me. I'll try getting it up by tomorrow.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
I'm having trouble reading the whole script because I want to scroll down and when I go to do it with the mouse, it disapears and I don't have that thingy that scrolls down between the two buttons of the mouse. -.-

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
lol, I c, I'll take spoilers off then.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2009, 04:53:06 PM »
Thank you so much, UruseiNeo.

I think it will be a long, long, long video. Still, I want to watch it.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2009, 12:52:07 AM »
This is the next part of the script (Genre):

-----------------------------
P: Alright, so starting with Cartoons, the only genres you seem to find are either Comedy or Action. To this day, we’ve yet to see many Cartoons that are horror, romantic, dramatic, or sportive.

Q: Cartoons are sometimes violent… but even then it’s more like comedic violence like… Itchy and Scratchy!

P: Yeah, like if you watch Cartoons like American Dad, the Simpsons, or Family Guy, there are occasions where there is violence and blood, but even then it doesn’t seem to be taken seriously.

Q: However, we’re talking about Genre FOCUS, as in the genre of the series as a whole. Having one or two episodes outside the comedic genre doesn’t count; cartoons have a main Comedic or Action focus. The shows mentioned so far are Comedy, that’s that.

P: As for the Action Genre, these normally apply to super hero shows like The Batman, The Spectacular Spider-Man, and all your other favorite comic book heroes.

Q: It is these types of Cartoons that carry a more seriousness throughout the show. With action types, you can’t help but have some violence and drama, and unlike Comedic Cartoons, the violence in Action Cartoons is serious, not funny.

P: It is the Action type of Cartoons that seems more like Anime in terms of genre, which we shall discuss now.

Q: Anime can have a series focus of almost any genre. There are Anime that focus on Romance, Psychology—

P: Mind Blowing

Q: Sports, Martial Arts, Thriller, Mecha, all this in addition to Comedy or Action, like Cartoons.

P: “Slam Dunk” is a sport Anime, it focuses around Basketball. There’s also “Prince of Tennis”, which is, obviously, a Tennis Anime, and “Big Windup” is one for Baseball.

Q: There are Anime that don’t have a genre focus of Comedy or Action at all. Death Note is an example of a somewhat Thriller/Psychological Anime. Death Note is NOT FUNNY… EXCEPT FOR MISA… Who is the only Comic relief character in the show.

P: Death Note involves a lot of killing, actual killing… by the main character.

Q: Basically he’s killing all the criminals in the world and anyone who tries to stop him.

P: There are too many Martial Arts Anime to count. “Dragon Ball Z”, “Kenichi”, “Yu Yu Hakusho”, I guess “MAR” might count as one… and Romance Anime include “Ouran High School Host Club”, “Clannad”, “Hatsukoi Limited”, “Karin”, and many more.

Q: Mecha is basically an Anime exclusive genre that involves giant mechanical humanoid robots that pilots control. Transformers wouldn’t really count, I don’t think, cause nobody pilots them. Any “Gundam” Anime counts as Mecha, as well as “Code Geass”, “Eureka Seven”, “Neon Genesis: Evangelion” and the list goes on. If there are giant robots piloted by people usually between 14 and late 20’s, then you’re probably watching an Anime.

P: Oh, and then there’s Slice of Life Anime. Slice of Life is a genre involving the characters going to school or work or whatever. When Slice of Life is the focus, generally there are no super natural happenings throughout the anime, it’s kinda like “Friends” or “90210.” Examples: “Azumanga Daioh”, “Clannad” again, “Hatsukoi Limited”… again… A lot of Slice of Life Anime seems to carry the Romance Genre as well… “Ouran High School”… Again… “Kenichi” Again, but that was a Marital Arts before. “Lucky Star”…

Q: “Lucky Star” is the ultimate Slice of Life; the main character is an ANIME FANATIC.

P: “Welcome to the NHK” is Slice of Life… but it’s also a Psychological Anime and…

Q: Creeps me out…… There’s a lot of suicide attempts… Love it…

P: I think we made our point in terms of Genre…

Q: Ya… just for the record, there’s also Sci-Fi, Magic, Game, Music, Military, Drama, Fantasy… and many more, some of which I can’t mention…

P: Okay so we’ve discussed Genre, the next segment is all about Themes.

--------------------------------