Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Author Topic: Would you describe yourself as being an otaku?  (Read 11400 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Would you describe yourself as being an otaku?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 06:34:58 AM »
If they used the same stories and same animation as the original UY, I'd call it an anime, obviously. Those are two of the biggest indicators. I hope you didn't think I based the distinction on location/language alone, that's Urusei0Yatsura :p

No, I distinguish Anime and Cartoons by a number of things. Example: Plot, Character, Themes, Content, Genre, Detail, etc. Again, you can find all this if you watched our video (Anime versus Cartoons parts 1-3)

Startrek would be a better example than others, I suppose. Though you could argue that every show has some kind of ultra level that fans can go to, to some extent. Of course it's harder to relate many series in the same way isn't it, so that's why you used Startrek as the example, I understand *nod*

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »
If someone here in the US made a Urusei Yatsura show for an American audience, used the same style of animation as the Japanese counterpart,and even used stories from the manga. Would you call it a cartoon or would you call it a anime?  What if someone in Japan made a Peanuts(charlie brown) show mostly for a Japanese audience,used the same style of anime and stories from the American comic strips and books.Would you call it a cartoon or a anime?

You're confusing cultures. Japanese culture is very different from Ocidental cultures. You cannot compare oranges to apples because even though they're fruits, they're not the same. Yes, Cartoons and Anime are animation but it's not the same thing. For some people, they are but there's lots of people that see apples and oranges the same. Not about the taste but have no preference whatsoever.

I respect your opinion but I can't accept that you're putting all fans in one big sack. I love sports and I'm a fan of Sporting Clube de Portugal. I have some scarfs, caps, picture frames, posters, plushies, pens, etc. Are you comparing me to hooliganism? I love fair play. I hate violence in games. I hate when someone is so blind with their own team that won't see the most simple thing in front of him. But hey, I have merchandise so I'm one crazy fan. -.-'

You're assuming EVERY fan that has merchandising, cosplays, talks random japanese and all that it's on their mind is Anime.

I'm an Otaku and proud of it. Yeah, I have some Naruto merchandising, including a poster. Yeah, I cosplayed twice. Yes, I talk randomly japanese but it's quite rare. Yeah, I have japanese music and Anime songs in my mp4. No, I do not like to go to Anime conventions, which I don't go, btw.

Am I insane? Maybe but this isn't insanity. This is called "doing what one likes". I don't care if you make fun of me because I'm 18 years old and still watches "cartoons". Most people are hypocrites. They watch Simpsons and such, yet they make fun of me. And look what's happening in Facebook: everyone put an image of your favourite childish cartoon!

Anyways, here's what's important:

DO NOT COMPARE FANS, OTAKUS TO WEEBOS. People that believe Anime characters are real people, should get help. People that believe they are Anime characters, should get help.

Otakus and fans, do not need help. Hypocrites, do.

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »
If someone here in the US made a Urusei Yatsura show for an American audience, used the same style of animation as the Japanese counterpart,and even used stories from the manga. Would you call it a cartoon or would you call it a anime?  What if someone in Japan made a Peanuts(charlie brown) show mostly for a Japanese audience,used the same style of anime and stories from the American comic strips and books.Would you call it a cartoon or a anime?

You're confusing cultures. Japanese culture is very different from Ocidental cultures. You cannot compare oranges to apples because even though they're fruits, they're not the same. Yes, Cartoons and Anime are animation but it's not the same thing. For some people, they are but there's lots of people that see apples and oranges the same. Not about the taste but have no preference whatsoever.

I respect your opinion but I can't accept that you're putting all fans in one big sack. I love sports and I'm a fan of Sporting Clube de Portugal. I have some scarfs, caps, picture frames, posters, plushies, pens, etc. Are you comparing me to hooliganism? I love fair play. I hate violence in games. I hate when someone is so blind with their own team that won't see the most simple thing in front of him. But hey, I have merchandise so I'm one crazy fan. -.-'

You're assuming EVERY fan that has merchandising, cosplays, talks random japanese and all that it's on their mind is Anime.

I'm an Otaku and proud of it. Yeah, I have some Naruto merchandising, including a poster. Yeah, I cosplayed twice. Yes, I talk randomly japanese but it's quite rare. Yeah, I have japanese music and Anime songs in my mp4. No, I do not like to go to Anime conventions, which I don't go, btw.

Am I insane? Maybe but this isn't insanity. This is called "doing what one likes". I don't care if you make fun of me because I'm 18 years old and still watches "cartoons". Most people are hypocrites. They watch Simpsons and such, yet they make fun of me. And look what's happening in Facebook: everyone put an image of your favourite childish cartoon!

DO NOT COMPARE FANS, OTAKUS TO WEEBOS. People that believe Anime characters are real people, should get help. People that believe they are Anime characters, should get help.

Rage post. xD
But I totally agree.
I'm tired of being called weird just because I like to watch anime every once in a while...
It's like being called a nerd because I game.
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 05:39:50 AM »
I was afraid that I'd get yelled at if I went too argumentative, so I was holding back on my posts XD

I wish people could start accepting outside japan shows, like Avatar: The Last Air Bender, as anime. Avatar actually meets many of my requirements for an anime.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
I consider Avatar to anime because the art seems like it.

But this topic is one of the things that... why should we care for what everyone else thinks? I consider to have cosplayed as Shane McCutcheon and I consider myself an Otaku. Deal with it. x'D

Offline ezikialrage

• Casual Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »
If they used the same stories and same animation as the original UY, I'd call it an anime, obviously.

Those are two of the biggest indicators. I hope you didn't think I based the distinction on location/language alone, that's Urusei0Yatsura :p

No, I distinguish Anime and Cartoons by a number of things. Example: Plot, Character, Themes, Content, Genre, Detail, etc. Again, you can find all this if you watched our video (Anime versus Cartoons parts 1-3)
I can find those things watching a x-men, spiderman, the avengers and many other cartoon series.  Anime varies in those things just cartoons from other parts of the world? Have you seen or took a look at Crayon Shin Chan, Dead Leaves, Sazae-san, Angel's Egg, Belladonna of Sadness? Not all anime has the big pan cake eyes,aimed at teens to adults, has a complex plot,theme or character development. Anime just has more variety.  And if you talk to some people they would say that the vast majority of anime is crap and what we outside of Japan generally watch is the cream of the crop.

Startrek would be a better example than others, I suppose. Though you could argue that every show has some kind of ultra level that fans can go to, to some extent. Of course it's harder to relate many series in the same way isn't it, so that's why you used Startrek as the example, I understand *nod*

I do not know about you but I have never heard of anyone going to a House Md convention,dressing up like Dr. House, talking or acting like him or people going to a Big Bang Theory convection,dressing like the characters on that show,and talking like them.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
"Not all anime has the big pan cake eyes,aimed at teens to adults, has a complex plot,theme or character development. "

If you watched the video, we say right off the bat that we understand that what we say does NOT apply to ALL anime and ALL cartoons. They are guidelines for the general case.

Crayon-Shin Chan... I'd really rather not call it an anime but since I haven't watch it yet I cannot say for certain whether my guidelines can be applied or not.

Also, we didn't really say that "Anime is aimed at teens and adults" we said that "Anime can be aimed at any age"

now your examples of cartoons... x-men, spider-man... what do they have in common? They are action themed. We already said that action genre cartoons are generally closer to anime is certain aspects such as detail. Their themes are very cartoon cornered, half the time plot is cartoon corner, character design actually goes a full step beyond anime (where anime allows occasional disfigurement, action themed cartoons are more strict to keeping a very realistic figure. Perhaps this note would allow one to better distinguish shows such as Comedy Cartoon --- Anime --- Action Cartoon where the scale is based on character realism).

To effectively use the guidelines in our video, you need to consider every level discussed not just one.

And whose to say that (certain versions of) X-men and whatnot aren't actually closer to anime now?

Offline SonicxReiHino

• Big Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 03:20:05 AM »

Rage post. xD
But I totally agree.
I'm tired of being called weird just because I like to watch anime every once in a while...
It's like being called a nerd because I game.

Yes, I agree with Kroptik about the anime nerd thing. I can't talk to many people about anime because sometimes they've never heard of it, so that differentiates me by a lot. But about the cartoon/anime matter, sometimes its easy to tell if its an anime or cartoon. Like Teen Titans, I figured because of the expressions they use, that its an anime. but i feel better saying american anime for obvious reasons. So most of the time it should be easy to tell whether something is an anime or cartoon. I'd say that I'm an Otaku though, xD because I record anime music, write about anime, watching a lot. Although, what Urusei Neo mentioned about the Urusei Yatsura animation being in something else, I see the point in that.