Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 29
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Author Topic: Would you describe yourself as being an otaku?  (Read 11612 times)

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
Re: Would you describe yourself as being an otaku?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 05:47:38 AM »
I wish I could buy all that... but like Veehive said... "(shipping costs will frighten you)" And indeed they do... XD

That's what I figured when I look at getting some of these online. Just my luck, there's an anime shop 20 minutes away from my house (or 1 hour if I take a bus XD) If the stores aren't a bunch of rip-off artists, I'd gladly buy a figure or two ;D

Even if I don't get these, I'm definitely getting me some wallscrolls ^^

Offline theclaw

• The protector.
  • Fan
  • Weird and weird.
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »
I don't have the space for much these days. My largest collection was Pokemon before selling most of that. Haven't opened the lone Lum figure yet.

Though I've got lots of wall, few things will stick cleanly on the type mine is. :-\

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:10 PM »
Just came back from local a anime store today. Before I even crossed the road to get in, I saw a group with two cosplayers, one guy from Naruto (can't recall which character) and Miku from Vocaloid ^^. I really regret not taking a picture =(

Edit: OMFG I actually found the YouTube account for the cosplayer I saw today! What a coincidence XD Small world, huh?

The door had a HUGE poster of Miku, and there were little ones scattered around it. Ottawa must have a Miku obsession XD

Once I got in, I saw tons of different stuffs hangin' around; wallscrolls, cosplay, manga, DVD's (some I could rent), Figmas, plushies, all the good stuff. I even saw a Sonic the Hedgehog plushie, and I really should buy it =P And of course, half the store is splattered in Haruhi Suzumiya stuff, what do'ya expect? XD

I'm kinda broke after just buying myself a new 40" tv, so I really couldn't afford anything, but I felt bad and just got some of these

Uhhhh... yaaa..... XD Sorry 'bout wasting your time with this stupid blog entry =P

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:29:56 AM by SonicDaMan »

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:14 PM »
I wish there were anime stores near where I live, the conventions are always too far away from where I live so I can't get anything from anime without going online.

I don't consider myself an otaku simply because I watch anime and read manga every day, I think about anime nearly all the time. I wish I could get some stuff, especially figurines, DVDs and posters.
She/her

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »
It wasn't boring SDM. I actually thought it was pretty interesting. specially the fact that Haruhi's merchandising is more popular than Naruto's because in Portugal you only 3 kinds of stuffed figures: Pokemon, Naruto and Bleach.

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 03:22:43 AM »
Well, it's been 24 hours now since the GAnime 2010 convention was over. The awesome utopia of anime fans and otaku passed, and now I'm back in reality again =(

Anyways, if anyone cares, this is the stuff I bought from the dealers room:

I really needed a wall scroll for room. Just felt empty without one. (Though I'm slightly disappointed by the pinkness, I thought it was red like the logo XD)

Deciding between a generic, over-priced $17 plushie and a hard-to-find $15 vinyl figure...

And of course, I spent a heck of a lot of time trying to find UY stuff. I was only able to find Ranma 1/2 stuff. Then at the last hour before the dealers were closed for good, I found this =O :icon_mrgreen:

Spoiler (hover to show)

I also got some little things like bookmarks and pins, but I'm too lazy to upload those =P

As a first convention, I had a good experience. It could of been better, but it was still nice to be part of the anime community.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:35:45 AM by SonicDaMan »

Offline theclaw

• The protector.
  • Fan
  • Weird and weird.
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 04:32:31 AM »
I doubt I'll get to see one. No car, and being in a rural place like this...

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
Nice haul, DaMan-san!

Know what you mean about UruseiYatsura scarcity. When I was at Ohayocon (my 1st anime con) two weeks ago, I only saw ONE UruseiYatsura item (a teeny-tiny Kewpie-Lum on a keychain), although I admit I didn't look through any manga displays.

My next con? Probably Tekkoshocon in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (a little closer to me than Columbus Ohio!).
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
That's pretty good since in Portugal there are not even one RT stuff in Anime conventions.

Offline lilwiz

• Fan
  • Lea Sah <:
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
an otaku?
well lets c...

i really like Love Comedies cause im a sucker for super cheesy romance that makes me laugh cept all my friends think im a weirdo lol.Too bad i dont have time anymore to watch :( The guys dont mind too much the fact i love Japanese video games and the girls dont mind too much the mushy/funny romance but they all agree im a japan and Japanese culture lover lol.

Ive never been to any conventions so i dont own anything cept this one Fruits Basket Poster my friend got me for my birthday as a joke lmaoo. I hope i go to Japan one day not only cause its one of the fashion capitals of the world but also cause i would love to buy a cute keychain for my cell phone ^_^ 

so id say a slight otaku yes :P

Offline Urusei0Yatsura

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »
I'd say I was an Otaku as I am always buying anime and recently manga, I've think I've spent about £400 on anime this year, and I've only just started buying it this year too. I think about this stuff nearly all the time and watch and read it every day.

I have found an anime shop in my area but its stock is tiny.
She/her

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
Me too, essentially :p

Though I haven't been able to watch much anime lately, too busy. Just a few weekly shows that are put online after they air in the U.S. on weekends.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline ezikialrage

• Casual Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »
I consider myself a fan of cartoons regardless if they are from Japan, USA or any other country.

I see Otakus to be the equivolent of trekkie nerds.

For example there are normal people who have probably seen every episode and movie of the star trek franchise,those people are fans of the eries. THen there are people who have seen every episode and movies of the franchise, go to nerd conventions dress as characters from the series to ask desperate out of work actors stupid questions abut the shows, They sometimes speak made up languages from the show, the collect figurinees,posters and other crap associated with star trek.They most likely have the VHS,DVD versions and as soon as their mom gives them their allowance they will have the complete blue ray version all the star treks and movies.  They have to some sort of superiority complex about startrek shows they watch as though its the best thing in the world while everything else sucks.

Anime fans are no different. There fans who have seen dozens or even hundreds of series, these people are just fans.   Then there  are fans who not only seen dozens or even hundreds of series but the go to nerd conventions, dress as cartoon characters, bastardize the Japanese language by trying to mix it enlgish, they have posters/wall scrolls, figurines, have anime series in various forms like VHS,DVD and blue ray,They have a huge load of mangas, They have some sort of superiority complex about anime as though anime is not cartoons and that all other cartoons suck. And even though most of these people are not fluent in Japanese they will argue until the sun turns blue that dubs suck and subs do not.

:police: Careful with language. Kids visit this Forum  :police:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:58:11 PM by cata »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
That was kind of insulting to me (and likely other users on this forum) o.o

While I do believe that anime and cartoons are two separate categories (as I have laid out in a 40 minute video describing the differences so please don't challenge me in this matter), I don't have any problems with cartoons, ie I don't think they "suck"

I would agree about the bastardizing the Japanese language part, I noticed people were throwin in whatever japanese words they knew sometimes which became a little peeve to me. If I wanna say something in Japanese, I'll go for an actual sentence/phrase (which is rare because I need to be confident that what I am saying is correct :p)

I don't see anything wrong with collecting posters, you can get posters of tons of stuff that wouldn't be considered nerdy, like for bands, singers, TV shows that are not animated, cool poses, etc. Same goes for having a series in DVD or some other video viewing.

I would never say that dubs suck in general because I am neutral. If there is a series that is in Dub I will likely watch it in dub because it is more convenient for me. If not, I have absolutely no problem watching it sub. In fact, it may be better to watch it subbed first cause then if it comes out in dub later, I can enjoy the series a second time with a different experience.

I know the purpose of your post was to compare anime fans to startrek fans, but still, I don't think your definition is too strong, I know you weren't trying to bug anyone though.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline ezikialrage

• Casual Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 06:05:18 AM »

I know the purpose of your post was to compare anime fans to startrek fans, but still, I don't think your definition is too strong, I know you weren't trying to bug anyone though.

I think it is good comparison.  You got normal fans  who enjoy anime and to these normal anime fans anime is no different than watching Simpsons, SouthPark, Smallville or any other show that they would watch on tv. Then you got those who not only enjoy anime but take to some cult like social outcast level. I really could have used anything that has normal fans and die hard fanatics to who take it to a social outcast cult like level. Startrek was used as an example because that is known to most people as an example of a certian group of fans taking their fandom beyond healhly levels.

While I do believe that anime and cartoons are two separate categories (as I have laid out in a 40 minute video describing the differences so please don't challenge me in this matter),

What do you base your assumptions on that anime is somehow a separate category from cartoons instead of just a regional designation for cartoons from Japan?  If someone here in the US made a Urusei Yatsura show for an American audience, used the same style of animation as the Japanese counterpart,and even used stories from the manga. Would you call it a cartoon or would you call it a anime?  What if someone in Japan made a Peanuts(charlie brown) show mostly for a Japanese audience,used the same style of anime and stories from the American comic strips and books.Would you call it a cartoon or a anime?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:10:29 AM by ezikialrage »