Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:54:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Author Topic: Sprite ripping! (Finally)  (Read 3358 times)

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
Sprite ripping! (Finally)
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:08:21 AM »
After searching long and hard, I've finally found some Urusei Yatsura sprites that were actually worth ripping! (Except for the Famicom game, I'm ripping those too BTW)

Anyways, I dunno know if you guys were aware of this, but there are some pretty damn good sprites in the Sega CD (Mega CD) game "Urusei Yatsura: My Dear Friends". If you've watched the footage, or even played this before, you thought it was only a point-and-click game? Right?

I found an unlockable, Street Fighter-styled minigame! In English, it's called "Girl Fighter Nitro" (excited lulz)

You get to pick from Lum, Shinobu, Ryunoske and Asuka, and they basically sucker-punch eachother, along with a health bar and time limit above their heads. Each character is unique, bringing along a special move (eg. Shinobu throwing a desk) and an alternative costume (eg. Lum with red hair).

Since Urusei Yatsura games are so obscure, no one has ever ripped the sprites yet, so that's what I'm doing (at my own pace of course)

I've already started ripping Lum, as you can see with the animated GIF below:

I will release a proper sprite-sheet when I'm done.  Hopefully, I'll be updating this, so stay tuned!... or whatever =P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:10:25 AM by SonicDaMan »

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Re: Sprite ripping! (Finally)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
This is the first time I hear about that game and I'm in love with it. The only thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that there are no male characters and no Benten or Ran instead of Asuka!!!

Ataru's special attack would be jumping, hugging, kissing, grabbing his opponent if it's a girl. (It would be hilarious!) If it's a boy, it could be the frying pan since he used that on Ten.

Mendo's special attack would be his sword against male opponents and flirting against female opponents.

Megane's special attack screaming his lungs out. xD

Chibi's special attack could be avoiding his opponent attack and sneak on his/her back and kick him/her in the leg to make him/her fall down.

Kakugari's special attack could be crushing his opponent.

Perm's special attack could be combing his hair and accidently throws his comb hitting his opponent.

Onsen-Mark's special attack could be screaming his lungs out, too.

Ran's special attack would be being nice, then her opponent would approach her and then she would get mad and fire one of those super-guns and eventually be nice again. xD

Benten's special attack would be bike driving through her opponent or hitting her opponent with her chain.

Oyuki's special attack would be freezing her opponent or throw ice arrows or something.

Cherry's special attack would be (this is hard!! xD) exploding. xD

Kotatsu-neko's special attack would be his kotatsu but to restore its health since I can't see how it could harm anyone. xD

Ten's special attack would be fireburping or something. xD

Sakura's special attack would be exorcism.

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
That's pretty cool, I'm sure it will be useful to make some flash games. :P

Also, have you checked Endless Summer for the DS?
Those sprites could also be nice for a non-fighting oriented game.
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
That's pretty cool, I'm sure it will be useful to make some flash games. :P

Also, have you checked Endless Summer for the DS?
Those sprites could also be nice for a non-fighting oriented game.

Yup, and I've actually tried playing that game too (However, just like the other games, I don't know what I'm doing, because I don't understand Japanese =P)

If I was making an RPG, then I would rip those sprites, but I'm personally more into sidescrollers/platformers.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »
you da man, SonicDaMan XD

nice new banner btw

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:33:33 PM »
you da man, SonicDaMan XD

nice new banner btw

lol thanks. And didn't you upload UY stuff before?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
ya, I helped Neo1Fox

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:46:14 AM »
Yup, and I've actually tried playing that game too (However, just like the other games, I don't know what I'm doing, because I don't understand Japanese =P)

That's why I went and took Japanese this past year. When I get better at vocabulary, I'll try and play it again.

Offline SonicDaMan

• Another Canadian
  • Huge Fan
  • nyoro~n
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 05:27:30 AM »

That's why I went and took Japanese this past year. When I get better at vocabulary, I'll try and play it again.

ME learn Japanese?!? I can't even learn French! XD (I'm hopeless)

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
This is going offtopic but it's just to explain something.

In Portugal, English starts in the 5th grade (usually kids are 9/10 years old) and lasts usually until 11th grade (usually people are 16/17 years old). Some people of course, decide to keep taking English.

French starts at 7th grade (usually kids are 11/12 years old) and "lasts" until 9th grade (kids are 14/15 years old). Some people decide to take French during the 10th, 11th and sometimes 12th grade.

So, here goes the explanation:

When I was in the 3rd grade (7/8 years old) some english teacher came to my school and gave us a workshop that ended up learning how to speak in english and english vocabulary plus the alphabet. One of the few classes I remember was that she was showing us the letters and she was asking us how to say it in English.

Of course nobody knew the "A" (which in portuguese it's "AH" so she said "hey". xD Then came "B" (which in portuguese is 50% like "buh" >.<) so I said "bay!" xD and she said "bee". Next came "C" which is like portuguese "B". So I said "cee". And so on. (I really nailed these classes).
In the end of that class, the teacher came up to me and asked me if I ever learnt English somewhere and I said no, never. I just associated "hey" to vocals and "ee" to consonants. At 8 years old I was that "good" at English. x)

I took French and I never needed support after classes. I was good at it. But after 3 years learning it, it's not enough if people don't practice. So I forgot 93.7 percent about French.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
I think Japanese is easier (and more fun) to learn than French. And I am half french, though I don't remember anything beyond a few words now.

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
Definetely because there are very interesting japanese stuff. Much more than french stuff. Japanese cool stuff > French cool stuff. xD

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »
May the blessings of Odin be with you,SonicDaMan

That game looks promising