Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Author Topic: Dragonball the Movie (Dragonball Evolution)  (Read 3696 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Dragonball the Movie (Dragonball Evolution)
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:01:18 AM »
Alright, it's about time we started this discussion.

Everyone list everything that annoyed them during this movie.

And I... will counter ^_^

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
Re: Dragonball the Movie (Dragonball Evolution)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:42:57 AM »
You'll counter our opinions?

That doesen't sound good...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:10:38 AM »
Like, for example, people are mad that Goku is white.

Well... the logical thing to say is that Goku isn't Asian so why not white? However, tuxedomoroboshi... that's right, another UY fan, did a youtube video proving that Goku is in fact Asian, or at least looks Asian.

So as far as that point goes, I'm so impressed by the facts TM was able to gather, I decided to call that fair game, ie, using the fact that Goku is a Saiyan is no longer a viable excuse.

However, let's be honest... I'd have to say that if they used an Asian actor for Goku, it would feel weird. I still don't exactly know why I'd feel weird about it, maybe because if the entire cast was Asian, which most of it seems to be, it would be almost too Japanese... like it should be spoken in Japanese too and then we need to read subtitles which is kinda annoying, especially for a live action film.

I dunno, maybe I haven't thought about it enough, but when I first saw the commercial for it on TV, I completely loved his attitude.

I've got lots to discuss, so please, gimme another flaw ^_^

There ARE some flaws that I agree with, btw.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:55:11 AM »
Hmmm... Here's another... Bulma... She can't be a teenager... at least not same age as Goku...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »
U mean in the movie she has to be older than a teenager. Well, I recall that in the anime, she was older than Goku to begin with.

So yeah, haha, they actually kept true to something from the anime XD

Why they decided to make Goku a teenager, I have no real idea. I guess they thought getting a 12 year old kid to play the role would look pretty pathetic. How tall would a 12 year old kid be? hmmm... I remember the grade 8's at my high school being pretty short compared to me, a grade 12er at the time, so I'm gonna guess a 12year old wouldn't be very tall.

Also, using a kid would turn this movie into a kids movie, and I mean a real kid's movie like Spy Kids and Shark Boy and Lava Girl, and I think the creators of the movie were going for a more serious effect than that.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
Ah,the Dragon Ball Evolution,the anime-based film that mutilated one of the greatest anime/manga stories ever made,indeed a completely flawed film (but do not take my opinion too seriously,I know there were people that loved it and I respect that)

Anyways,Akira Toriyama does not care anymore what producers do to this masterpiece (that is why we got Dragon Ball GT) and we should not complain at all,c'est la vie

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
Okay... since there was no new flaw, I'll point out a common one: Hair.

No I'm gonna go through more than just Goku's hair, but let's start with him anyway.

People have been b****ing about how Goku's hair is all wrong and stuff. Do they stop to think how ridiculous he would look if the managed to give him that longer spiky hair? He would look like an idiot! You can't pull off the spiky hair without looking like a cosplayer!

Okay, so now we're going to Bulma. Now Bulma's hair isn't spiky so it wasn't difficult getting the style down alright, but what everyone is concerned with is her lack of blueness. Seriously, I can't believe they are asking the creators to give her full blue hair. This is another thing that would make the live action character look like an complete fool. She actually did dye one stream of hair blue, and I've gotta say, that's all it took to make me happy. I'm dead f***en serious.

Now I haven't seen any complaints about Master Roshi... which I actually think should have happened. Master Roshi is bald... now c'mon, they couldn't make him bald in the movie? He wouldn't too weird bald, if he did, that could easily be counter by giving him the beard. They could have at least made his hair grey, but I guess they thought we might get him confused with Grampa Gohan. The only reason I can think of that could explain why they didn't bald him and give him the beard is that then Master Roshi would look like too serious of a character to give him the perverted traits. As for the lack of sunglasses, I dunno, I guess they would have made him look blind.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »
Master Roshi... from the movie... reminds me more of the Principal from Ranma 1/2 XD

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
We could have seen this guy as Master Roshi

Too bad Keye Luke died on 1991

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
When I get around to making a video for the movie, I wanna use that picture ^_^

Yes, if u just gave that guy sunglasses, he'd be perfect for Roshi, also maybe a Hawaiian shirt. They actually did give the Roshi in the movie a shirt like that, so I was pretty happy to see they had a little detail. Also, I liked how they managed to give Roshi that perverse side without going all out, like he would in the anime, which would have lead to an increase in the age rating of the movie.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »
When I get around to making a video for the movie, I wanna use that picture ^_^

I am glad that you liked that picture,Neo

I can get you more pics of Keye Luke from the screenshots I took from my Kung Fu DVDs (if you want them,of course)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:32:33 PM »
Thanks

Getting back to the movie, I think I'll talk about the characters. Now, I was completely surprised when I saw Yamcha in the movie, I had no idea he was gonna be in it, points for that. Puar and Oolang were taken out, but that's understandable since they are talking animals that would look rather irregular in a live action film. Yeah... I know... Piccolo is irregular too, but he's an alien and stuff so he makes it look good.

Now Launch and most especially KRILLIN were not in in the movie. Neither was Tien, Chaotsu, Kami, Mr. Popo, or Yajarobi. I keep hearing comments about the lack of Krillin and here's the simple logical answer, the movie is before his time.

Obviously this is the first time they've ever gone searching for the dragonballs, which would place the events of the movie prior to the introduction of Krillin. Yes yes I get it, Piccolo came after these events too, so you're going to ask why they put him in. I have a simple answer to that too:

The only other "villain" in Dragonball for the first round of searching for the dragonballs was... Emperor Pilaf. Now let's be honest, who would you rather see in the first live action Dragonball Movie, Piccolo or that creepy blue dwarf who mind as well wear the "Team Rocket" logo since that's about the level of villainy he really is. Piccolo was definetely the better choice. In fact, he's the best villain in the entire Dragonball series, of course they were gonna use him, he went on to become one of the most important characters in Dragonball - Dragonball GT history.

With regards to Krillin, I'm sure that they will put him in the sequel. You guys know there's a sequel right? There's planned for 2, actually.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Somehow methinks the sequel will be based on the Saiyan/Freezer saga,probably the woman that finds Piccolo at the end of the film is Uranai Baba (the sister of Master Roshi) who may want to enlist his help against the coming invasion of the Saiyans (she is supposed to see the future and Piccolo is supposed to have been a force of good that became corrupted)

Anyways,here are the pictures of Master Po (Keye Luke) that I promised

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »
now we just need sunglasses to put over his eyes.

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »
That can be fixed,Neo

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
XD nice, but it looks like u had trouble drawing the stick parts.

Offline luvjay0918

• Registered
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 04:19:52 AM »
The movie was seems to be like in the cartoons,master roshi still in a good poist and they act naturally,,..

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
question: why the link?