Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 29
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Author Topic: Writing a Story  (Read 8299 times)

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
Re: Writing a Story
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 01:56:54 AM »
I don't know why but all that sounds very familiar to me... I'm sure I seen that before somewhere...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 02:17:22 AM »
What, Elemental Evolution? That's freaking our original idea.

No way someone else has it. The concept of Elemental Evolution has been in development for the past three or so years.

It all started with 4 elements instead of 8; Fire, Wind, Earth, and Water. One guy got greedy and had his fire character also have a shadow blade, in addition to that he had his third character have a light blade. Then I decided to add Forest and Spirit. This was during the First RP and over that time two characters developed a new form of EE involving two swords which was labeled as Duplex Elemental Evolution. Further development on the idea of using more than one blade to further transform was considered and "Matrix" (4 blades) Elemental Evolution was established for 2 characters. Finally all 8 blades were gathered to summon "Element Master Shizuku" and this was all in RP ONE.

RP two, new characters used the 8 blades in a fresher start and eventually they too also got to use Duplex Elemental Evolution and Matrix Elemental Evolution but in a perfected state. This was the story in the prologue to the one this topic is about.

RP three (this topic) doesn't consider Duplix nor Matrix EE but instead takes a completely new turn by replacing these with two newer and better concepts. The first being Cross Elemental Evolution and the second being Trans Elemental Evolution, NEITHER of which I feel like discussing just yet.

There is NO EFFING WAY someone else did this before us.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 02:53:53 AM »
You know, as I was reading this, I was considering replying with something about the whole theory that it's entirely likely that out of all people who have similar influences in their lives they will usually have the same creative responses given the same stimuli. But I decided that it would probably be a lost cause.

But there's no need to get upset when you find out your brilliant idea has been done before, or will be done again. There's no such thing as complete originality in this world.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:28 AM »
C'mon seriously, I wanna know where Falling supposedly seen all this before. Cause I've never seen anything like it.

Combining an elemental beastly guardian, that came out of a sword, with yourself to transform into two different forms, each with their own special aspects.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 04:43:06 AM »
Easy... I'm searching... I'm at work now so when possible I will reply with the answer.
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 04:52:44 AM »
sry I read that wrong. At first I thought that WAS your answer XD

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 05:29:27 AM »
Elemental Evolution maybe your original idea/concept... But I've seen alot of similar animes and games with parts of that concept...

... Not all togheter in the same but the concept is everywhere... The part when you said "...Each sword is a hilt that emits its element as the blade (ie the Fire E-Sword emits flames as a blade)..." Reminded me of Guild Wars...

Then there was the Neo (beast) Mode and Warrior Mode... I'm still trying to figure that out but I'm sure I've seen that too... not with that name obviously...

Then you gave the details of some characters... and it reminded me of a Shaman King meets Full Metal Alchimist thing...

And theres more... but the information is scatered inside my brain... I need to run the disfragmentation tool in my brain... XD

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »
As long as EE is copyright for us ^_^

Never heard of Guild Wars but the original deign of the E-Swords (from the first 2 RPs) was actually completely different and non consistent as each sword looked different. I chose to make the new design as it was for the sole purpose that it allowed a guardian to emerge from it.

So far we actually have quite a few anime references, although I dunno how FMA or Shaman King fits into it, here is a list of things the were purposely done XD:

-As you probably already noticed, my two characters (Hiten and Maritan) are based off the Oni of Urusei Yatsura. Maritan however is supposed to be half oni so I only let her fly. She does have Electricity spells though. Hiten is like Ten. Instead of cutting of the horns to seal the Oni powers, I took a chapter from InuYasha and made it a certain moon phase that negated their abilities.

-The guy who uses Kyo and Kisa based those two names (but not the characters) off of the Kyo and Kisa from Fruits Basket.

-The guy who uses Kongol based his character off of... Kongol... from Legend of Dragoon

-The guy who does the villain set up his minions in a similar way as Bleach set up the 13 quart squad (name?). There is one lieutenant and one general for each of the 8 elements.

-Most of the spells are based from Slayers' spells. After a short period though, I decided to set the spells of the story. There are now 6 spells for each: Black Magic, White Magic, each of the 8 Elemental Magic. And each 6 set of Elemental Spells comes with 1 Defense against that element spell, 1 Ultimate Elemental Spell, and the rest are support/offense spells.

-We have our own transportation device called the "707 Brawl". Eureka 7 and its games had LFOs named the "505", "606", "808", and "909". The 707 part of the name came from there but that's about all.

-When I found out that the main villain's name would be "Arcana" I couldn't help but figure out a way to introduce the 22 Major Arcana into the mix ^_^ more on that later though.

-The guy who does Kyo named and based his Ultimate attack from one of the Gundam Series... we are planning to change the name...

-Dragon Wave = Dragon Slave from Slayers XD
---------------

That's all I can think of or remember right now.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »
... Not all togheter in the same but the concept is everywhere... The part when you said "...Each sword is a hilt that emits its element as the blade (ie the Fire E-Sword emits flames as a blade)..." Reminded me of Guild Wars...

Reminds me of Star Wars. Lightsabers, specificially. After all, isn't light one of his 8 elements? But swords with blades made of magic is an ancient idea. I seem to vaguely remember the idea present even in mythology.

Then there was the Neo (beast) Mode and Warrior Mode... I'm still trying to figure that out but I'm sure I've seen that too... not with that name obviously...

Maybe Dragonball? I mean you had Super Saiya-Jin mode, and you had the giant Monkey mode. Or, hey, how about Transformers: Beast Wars. They had their normal robot mode and beast mode. Well, the whole transformation idea has been around a long time.

Then you gave the details of some characters... and it reminded me of a Shaman King meets Full Metal Alchimist thing...

I was reminded of Chrono Trigger, myself. Especially the whole giving each character an element. Although I've also seen that idea done time and again in manga and RPGs. Hell, even Naruto uses it.

You do know it's not a copyright unless you file it with the proper authorities, right? Even if you can prove you came up with a name or an idea before someone else starts using it, unless you can prove you filed a copyright for the idea before the other person, you don't have any rights to it. IP Copyright law is kinda funky, and a little different than what most people expect it to be.

-The guy who does the villain set up his minions in a similar way as Bleach set up the 13 quart squad (name?). There is one lieutenant and one general for each of the 8 elements.

Actually, the way each of the 13 divisions are set up is pretty much reflective of the way any military unit is set up. You have the CO (Captain or Taichou), an XO (Vice Captain, Lieutenant or Fukutaichou), several division officers (the 20 seated officers of each division) and then all the grunts of various rank below them. A standard military-style organization that's been around since, at least, the Roman Empire.

-Most of the spells are based from Slayers' spells. After a short period though, I decided to set the spells of the story. There are now 6 spells for each: Black Magic, White Magic, each of the 8 Elemental Magic. And each 6 set of Elemental Spells comes with 1 Defense against that element spell, 1 Ultimate Elemental Spell, and the rest are support/offense spells.

Question: If you don't consider elemental magic to be black magic, then what do you define as black magic in your universe?

-When I found out that the main villain's name would be "Arcana" I couldn't help but figure out a way to introduce the 22 Major Arcana into the mix ^_^ more on that later though.

So you also want to add copying off of Shin Megami Tensei, eh? Actually, I wanted to do something with the major arcana before too, but I was thinking it long before I ever heard of Shin Megami Tensei. I was going to create characters for an old game I was doing by basing them on a cross grid of the major arcana and the zodiac signs. Now that I think about it, I think that was the reason I first learned to read the Tarot, way back when. Hmmm...
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »

You do know it's not a copyright unless you file it with the proper authorities, right? Even if you can prove you came up with a name or an idea before someone else starts using it, unless you can prove you filed a copyright for the idea before the other person, you don't have any rights to it. IP Copyright law is kinda funky, and a little different than what most people expect it to be.

I was figuratively speaking.

Question: If you don't consider elemental magic to be black magic, then what do you define as black magic in your universe?

Black Magic is where the spellcaster borrows power from a dark lord or something as such.

Elemental Magic is where you draw power from the elements. Since Hiten can breathe fire, he is specially adept in using Fire Magic compared to other Elemental Magic.

White Magic is like holy magic, healing, anti-evil, etc. That calls upon power from the gods.

Here are the Black Magic spells:

---------
Chaos Flare (Formerly known as Gaav Flare): A purple flare ball to be fired at an opponent.

Tamago (FKA Ferious Breed): Summon Animal.

Furosuto Breath (FKA Dynast Breath): freeze target

Chaotic Dart: (FKA Dolph Zork): Requires large body of water nearby. Turns water into a sharp projectile.

Dark Rod (FKA Balus Rod): creates a shadow whip.

Dragon Wave (FKA Dragon Slave): Strongest Black Magic spell. Fires a energy wave from the palm of the caster.
---------------

As for the Arcana thing, I basically planned to assign Arcana and each of his lieutenants and generals an Arcana (this would amount to 17/22 of the arcana).

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
Also, since the concept of Arcana Tarot cards has been around for so long, I don't think it would be too big a deal if I used them this way.

Even YuGiOh GX used them.

A lot of the concepts used in this story are fairly generally used in other shows as well.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »
"Tamago (FKA Ferious Breed): Summon Animal."

LoL Tamago... XD

Furosuto...
Almost Furo = Bath + Soto = Outside
It would be funny it it was Furosoto... XD

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »
Furosuto = Frost XD

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 01:03:01 AM »
LoL... I know...

I just like how in japanese (and any other language) a simple change/mistake in 1 letter is enough to give new meaning...

ie = house

iie = No

ebi = Shrimp

Hebi = Snake

;D

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 05:32:32 AM »
Okay, I've thought about this for a while. How does this sound for the name of the story?:

ばんしょうに八りまわって

---> "Banshou ni hachirimawatte"

I'm pretty sure that roughly means "Running around all universe" or more Englishly "Running around all the universes"

you'll notice that I used the Kanji for "8" in the verb "Hashirimawatte" --> "running around"

I replaced "hashi" with "hachi" to do something similar to   Urusai---> Urusei

How does that sound, also I want to know if that translation is correct?