Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Author Topic: I need some advice...  (Read 8990 times)

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Re: I need some advice...
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »
I just a vision! Sorry if it's too stupid or whatever but I just imagined the guy on top of a tree, doing some "research" about girls while they were on a hot spring or a lake or something like that and one of the girls notices him watching them and this girl throws a rock at him, hits his head, falls down from the tree in the lake and gets eaten by an animal like an alligator or an orca or something like that.

I had another idea while I was thinking about Urusei Yatsura: lightening. Well, being hit/killed by lightening strikes is very rare but it can happen.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
I wouldn't say that idea is stupid, but that just seems out of character for what I have in mind.

Anyway, I've come up with a really REALLY cool idea for killing homeboy off. It definitely fits my requirements (and is most certainly over-the-top), but it might seem a little... insensitive, even offensive. So I don't know if I'll use it or not yet. But I would like some opinions on it. :)

So here's what I got. You all know how I'm already basing it off the idea of sending the guy to terrorist heaven with the 99 (or 72) virgins, so I decided to expand on that idea. I didn't want him to be a terrorist, but I thought... What if I make him an accidental terrorist? The part where I have him lamenting the suckage that is his life, I can have him walking to some crowded place, like a mall or something, and give him some reason or another to dig something out of his backpack. Then in the 2 page spread shock scene (what would have been the airplane crashing on him), he looks into his bag and sees some kind of timebomb on at 00:00:01 and his final words are "Hey, this isn't my bag...?"

Actually, I may have trouble resolving this with another idea I have for the story (well, at least one of the girls I came up with), but if I go with it, I'm sure I can figure it out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:15:25 PM by sidzero »
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:35 PM »
lol, reminds me of DBZ Abridged Ep 8 when Chaotsu uses Self-Destruct

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »
It's a funny idea, but I wonder if I can pull off making him a terrorist with really making him a terrorist?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »
if u see the abridged version though, they made it so Chaotsu thought he could be wished back.

Chaotsu: You can just wish me back with the dragon balls. Now goodbye my friend.

Tien: That won't work! You've already been wished back with the dragon balls, we can't do it twice!

Chaotsu: ... Wait, what?

EXPLODE

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
Poor Chiaotsu... xD

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
You know, as great as this idea is, I think I'm going to have to add it to the ever growing list of shelved projects. It's got too many damned characters for something I'm trying to keep short. I still need to do something short so I can start building some sort of portfolio, so now I need to come up with something new for that. I'm also reminded that it would probably be a good idea to organize all my shelved projects and keep a real list of all the good ideas that I'd someday like (or hope) to do. I'm starting to have too many to keep track of in my head (even I have trouble believing how many I have).

Ugh.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »
Yeah, I have too many projects too -_-'''

But I try not to think about it too much. When I'm ready, I'll get around to them.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »
Eh, I try to pace myself, just working on whatever I feel like at the time, taking time off whenever I feel like I need to, but I always feel like I'm slacking off if I'm not pushing myself all the time. I also feel like if I slack off too much, I'll never get anywhere with what I want to do. I'm getting old, I turn 28 in a week from today, and I'm getting frustrated with not really having anything to show for all I do. I can't say I don't enjoy my pace, but I need to start having results to show if I plan to do anything with it. Anyway, enough whining from me, I'm just frustrated...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »
I know that feeling all too well, it happens every so often. One thing I noticed is that, given time, you recover from such frustration.

Of course that concept is hard to grasp once you've entered the state XD

Theoretically, if you can grasp the concept during the frustration period, it should help you get over the overwhelming thoughts quicker.

Of course, I've never been able to do that -_-'''

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »
In case anyone was wondering, I've started to organize my ideas. I've come to realize that many of them overlap and have very similar ideas. It makes me glad to be doing this because now I can better combine and refine these ideas. It's also helping me realize how many solid story ideas I actually have.

As it sits right now, I'm looking at eight story ideas that I have pretty well defined. Nine, if you count my idea to turn the first book I wrote (one I started writing when I was 10, and finished when I was 14) into a comic. Ten, if you what's becoming of UYRemix. Eleven, if I can come up with a story for this fictional fantasy world I've been creating, in detail, for the past 7 years, that was originally going to be used for an RPG I was creating. Of course, that count doesn't include all the half-assed ideas I've come up with over the years but never really explored for one reason or another (because if I added those, the list will probably have somewhere around 30-some-odd entries).

My plan right now is to write up some short summaries of these story ideas. Then maybe I'll share those summaries and get some feedback. Regardless, I'm sure this is going to help me keep better track of what I'm working on (and provide options for when I hit a stumbling block and need to work on something else).

Currently, I'm trying to concentrate on fleshing out the idea of what's becoming of my ideas for UYRemix, now that I've decided to scrap it and cannibalize the ideas for something a little more original. Actually, this is what I was working on before I came up with the 99 Virgins idea. Basically, I'm taking the ideas I had for UYRemix and removing as much of the original UY as I can. I've already got a lot of pretty good ideas (such as the alien girl I'll be replacing Lum with, Star Lucent), I just need to flesh them out some more, though there are a lot of ideas that still need a lot of work (such as the guy I'll be replacing Ataru with, who remains lacking in both name and personality). I'll probably be posting some of my ideas for it before too long once I flesh it out a little better. I'm thinking of posting it as a thread called "What ever happened to UYRemix?", so um... be on the lookout for that.

Anyway, that's enough status update.

Offline SandStorm

• Casual Otaku
    • Storm Resources Forum (your mobile edge)
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 03:56:58 AM »
make him go on a trip, and somewhat he have one crash and die.
yup, he saw some nice 'things' got distracted and "BAM!"
Follow your dreams...

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 06:24:48 AM »
Erm, um, sorry, perhaps I should have mentioned that I decided to go with the accidental terrorist idea when and if I ever get around to doing this story.

I would say that if you want to throw ideas at me, throw ideas for my used-to-be-UYRemix story, but I don't really want to give out anything until I nail down my 3 main characters (Ataru, Shinobu and Lum's replacements) and their dynamics first. Right now I got a few good ideas for the characters, but I have yet to strike that balance between them that will make for an interesting story. But I will say this one thing, the replacements have VERY little in common with their replacees.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
Okay, change of subject, but since it's still related, I'm keeping it in this thread.

So I was trying to work out some of the details on my list of story ideas, figuring out what I've really got and what I've really got to work on. Just something to kill the time with while I'm still trying to work out the dynamics of my 3 main characters in my still untitled used-to-be-UYRemix story (I'm still lacking a name for the male lead, but I've got the characterizations down, though I'm still working out the dynamics, especially between the male lead and the second female lead, Ataru and Shinobu's replacements if you're following along).

Anyway, let's say I had 11 ideas before. But one of them I decided needs to go back to being filed under "half-assed ideas that weren't really developed". I thought I had some good ideas for it, but I seemed to have lost most of them and all I have left anymore is a premise. So that idea is officially scrapped. .However, before I decided that, I came up with yet another really good idea that I wanted to share with the class to take it's place. I don't think I mind sharing it because it's immediately going on the shelf. This is because I think it's a really good idea and I really want to do it, but not yet. It's definitely a future project. Ok, so it lacks a lot of definition (characters and a big gap in the middle of the story, mostly), but the story idea I have down pat. So here's the basic idea (sorry, it's long):

The main character is an American Otaku, your typical anime/manga/video games/japanese anything fanboy American who wishes he was Japanese (who my expected fanbase will probably easily identify with). The story begins when he moves to Kyoto, Japan to go teach English at a local high school (and the story becomes even more familiar to me because that's what I'd like to do). Inspired greatly by the magnificent Great Teacher Onizuka (go read the manga or watch the anime or even the live-action show based on it, it's one of my favorite mangas and I highly recommend it to all), he decides to become the teacher who personally involves himself in trying to solve the problems in his students' lives. Within a week, he finds his first (and only, because his students are actually pretty normal) student with a problem he can solve. Of course, since this is me who's writing this story, it's going to be something completely ridiculous that gets out of hand. For starters, the girl (the aforementioned student) is an idol. Her problem that needs solving is that despite how much she loves being an idol, and loves coming to school, her parents are extremely traditional and are trying to marry her off and make her quit both. Enter the teacher, here to save the day, who sets himself up to be one of the marriage candidates, intending to fake the engagement until the girl is old enough to live her own life so that she doesn't have to quit the things she loves. Of course, traditional Japanese parents aren't going to want to marry their daughter off to some gaijin, but they agree when he reveals his secret identity as a world-famous novelist (novelist is subject to change, it was just the first thing to pop into my head, but world famous something-or-other, maybe like a retired child actor, I don't know) who's just using the teaching job as an excuse to stay in Japan. The school finds out and he has to face the board of directors who want to fire him for getting involved in a personal relationship with one of his students, but when he explains the circumstances, they reluctantly agree as long as the two of them agree to hide the relationship. This is where the big gap in the middle begins. I figure I'll fill the story out with the teacher trying to overcome cultural barrier and adapting to all kinds of Japanese traditional stuff, all the while trying to prevent the other students and the press from finding out the truth. Eventually it ends with the press finding out just weeks before the girl's graduation from high school, it becomes a big deal and I end the story with a happily ever after.

So yeah, that's the whole idea of the story. I'm kinda wondering what people think about how well something like that would work out as an idea for a comic, but really, I just want people to praise me for the awesomeness of the idea. I'm thinking of calling it Gaijin-Sensei. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:34:06 PM by sidzero »

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »
I'll just say this... (even if it doens't help alot...) XD

Looks good...  :-
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?