Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:35:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Author Topic: I need some advice...  (Read 8891 times)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Re: I need some advice...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »
Better, but you're not thinking flashy at all.

Maybe I should throw out some hints as to what I have in store and see if that helps any. There's no real reason why he dies, and his whole concept is that he's just some random nobody who dies, only to be brought back to life 400 trillion years later by a race of machines with godlike technology to live as an example of a human in some kind of nature preserve that exists outside of space-time.

Yeah, it's something like that, so it has to at least be as cool as to set up for that. :)
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »
Shot during a bank robbery? (Tried to be a hero or tried to use his phone?)

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
Am I asking too much?

Let me share some of the ideas I've had and have decided were not awesome enough.

First there was the one where the guy's driving along in his car and an airplane falls out of the sky and crashes into him.

Then there was the idea of having him walking along the sidewalk and then he just randomly gets run over by a car full of gangsters shooting at the police cars chasing them.

Then I thought about having him have a nuclear missile dropped on him.

Then he was going to get kidnapped and beheaded by terrorists.

And then I couldn't come up with anything better than any of those...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:02:42 PM by sidzero »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
U said trying to be a hero was allowed. Dude, I'm telling you everything that comes to me.

How about choking on food? There's no real reason behind it, it happens by mere chance. It can be done at almost any time, and there's no big plot line around it.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
No offense, but it's just that your ideas suck. It's like the ideas you're offering are the kinds of thing that could happen to anyone, at any time. I'm looking for that something that'll only happen in a one in a billion chance and only to the unluckiest person in the world. But it's also gotta be something that gives an equal part impression of "wow, that's an awesome way to die" and "ouch, that's really gotta suck".

I know there's gotta be something to fit that, I just need some help finding it.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
Let's be honest, that's a tall order, especially when there can't be any real reason behind it.

Hey, what about hit by an asteroid/meteor? (whichever is smallest to minimize damage)

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 09:43:03 PM »
Hmmm ... "struck by a falling star" .... sounds decidedly familiar ....

Not without merit, 'though. Possibility for social commentary (e.g: a billboard for a "killer" beauty product -- "Cataheina Lip Gloss will Knock Him Dead" -- falls on him) or an in-joke (a Canadian module of the International Space Station disconnects and plummets to Earth, landing you-know-where)(no, I don't mean Flin-Flon), or even irony (spaceship containing the race that eventually resurrects him lands next to him; the gangplank drops down, trapping him underneath and crushing him to death; the first thing the aliens see is his mangled corpse... ).

Meh. I don't know ....
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »
How about a funny death? He could die because he got very scared! xD
Picture this: He's walking along the park, listening to music, steps into a banana peal or something that could make him fall, hits his head hard and dies.

He could be driving and a group of drunk people were driving too and a collision happens.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »
Tall order it might be, but I'm sure it can be filled. A meteor would work, but I can't think of a way to make it feel natural enough for me. I'll leave it on the chalkboard, though.

I want to add one more stipulation to the death scenario though. He has to see it coming. It'll be easier to draw the whole death scene out in comic form that way.

The drunk driving idea suffers from the same problem as UruseiNeo's, it's something that could happen to anyone, at any time. I also don't want to turn his death into some morality lesson, which a drunk driving scenario would end up becoming. I do like the funny death idea, though. The banana peel is a good idea, but it kinda reminds me of another manga I read where they killed off the main character at the beginning by having him trip over a bottle and fall off a cliff. Which was also a very good way to kill your main character.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
How about the MC sees the meteor coming, panics but at the same time doesn't really do anything cause he feels he's doomed no matter where he goes.

Then, by the time the meteor gets close enough, it's been broken down to a small rock from the atmosphere. The rock hits MC in the head to kill him, leaving everyone and everything else unharmed.

The period MC panics can include a lot of comic relief too. And when I call it a "rock" I don't mean to make it sound too small, it could be any size really, just that the fact that he really COULD have avoided it adds to comic relief.

Edit: Also, this scenario is even MORE unlikely to happen than the regular meteor idea ^_^

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
You know, as clever as I might have been about not really giving anything away, I really don't have so much done with this idea that I need to play all mysterious about it. I only just came up with the idea last night anyway, so I might as well share what I got. I don't think I have enough to spoil anything anyway.

I'm going to give you all a treat, and give you a little insight into the way my mind works when I get creative. Now, let me bring you into my pace and just run my trains of thought here from when I was coming up with this idea...

So, I've been wanting to write some kind of harem manga for a while now, and I was thinking of ideas for one, for no particular reason. Just randomly the thought crossed my mind about terrorists and how they're supposed to have like, 99 virgins waiting for them in heaven if they kill Americans by blowing themselves up. I thought, that's the ultimate harem right there, I should write something like that. But there's no way I can give something that cool to a terrorist, I should just give it to me (or even better, an author surrogate!). So I started thinking about how to make something like that happen and not make it seem stupid. Then I remembered a crappy movie from back in the day called Freejack. In it, Emilio Estivez was a race car driver who gets into a major wreck at the beginning and supposedly dies. Instead, he is kidnapped by people from the future to be used as a spare body for some rich bastard who's about to die. The movie was typical early-90s cyberpunk trash, but it was a cool idea. I then remembered an episode of the Superman cartoon where some alien zookeeper kidnapped Superman and Lobo and was intending to preserve them as they were each the last of their species.

Thoughts started swirling, and I came up with the idea to have robots from the future trying to preserve an extinct humanity by resurrecting one guy and 99 chicks (each one taken from different points throughout human history, past, present and future) and put them onto some kind of Robinson Crusoe situation on an island paradise with the robots helping them out and encouraging them to "be fruitful". Then I thought, you know, I need to add something so that it doesn't get boring with the guy just banging chicks all the time. How about dinosaurs? Dinosaurs are fun to draw, and it'd be easy to put these people into situations where they're getting chased by and/or kicking the asses of dinosaurs. So I was like, ok, I got the action now, what next? How else can I disrupt this guy's sex life? That's when I came up with the only idea I have so far for the main character, that he's a complete loser around women. I'm still deciding whether or not to make him a sex-phobe, it's kinda up in the air at this point. I was gonna decide that after I figured out how to kill him.

Then I started going off on random tangent ideas like why these robots are doing this and came up with the idea to set it 400 trillion years in the future after the universe has begun to die and collapse in on itself, that the robots are the sole remaining sign of life in the entire universe, and that the robots are using their ultra-futuristic technology to preserve the "most influential lifeforms in the history of the universe" (that humans apparently are one of) in a pocket dimension outside of space-time. Cause you know, I like crazy sci-fi stuff like that.

Of course, I have a few other little ideas here and there for what I'm going to do with the story, and what direction I want to take it in, even some ideas for some of the characters I have to create (100 completely different and individual characters, I must be out of my mind to attempt this). But I hope this is enough to help inspire some ideas on how to kill my guy off, cause right now, that's what I'm stuck on (well, that and coming up with some kind of name for him). I just need to get the ball rolling again.  :?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
about terrorists and how they're supposed to have like, 99 virgins waiting for them in heaven if they kill Americans by blowing themselves up.

(well, that and coming up with some kind of name for him)

How about "Shinu"? Means "to die" XD

I thought, that's the ultimate harem right there, I should write something like that.
...................................................... I'm done, bye :P

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:32 PM »
Is it 72? I've heard a lot of different numbers. I should probably look it up, but I like 99, it's a nice round number. :)

Also, that's a no on the name, he's not Japanese.

Just looked it up, guess it is 72. Hmmm...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »
sry, when I think of manga, I automatically think Japanese. Still, if he was japanese, that'd be a good name :)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »
I still need to kill him before I decide anything else. Picking a name is much further down the list.