Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Author Topic: Anime or Cartoons  (Read 15789 times)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2008, 05:34:22 AM »
No, but it does mean accepting defeat. I do not accepting defeat.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2008, 05:54:47 AM »
I just wanna clear this ahead of time that I'm not trying to take a shot at you but...

isn't quitting a form of defeat?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2008, 09:11:12 AM »
Not quite. Quitting is walking away.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
It's just that quitting sounds like losing.

Like if I play a video game and I can't get passed a level, I quit (at least for a while). That would be losing, it certainly wouldn't be winning.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
Think whatever you want. Your opinion really doesn't matter.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
To Sidzero:

I believe in freedom. Whether it is about speach, of doing, of being, etc. Therefore, I believe everyone has the right to have an opinion and don't be harmed because of that opinion. Of course there are limits like "Every blue-eyed person is evil." -.-' This is an example of a stupid mind (from my perspective of course but I think many of you will agree with me on this one). So if you think you're right stick with your points of view because I'll stick with mines because I think I'm right. =)
On the offtopic issue I think it isn't too offtopic because discussing on the characters' orientation or whatever it's their "definition" from their fans. Therefore, I think it's ontopic.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
"There are two ways, if you don't pick my way you're stupid" is what Sidzero sounds like to me.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2008, 10:24:04 PM »
A belief in freedom is something you and I share, then.

I wouldn't' say your example is an example of a "stupid mind", the word you're looking for is "discrimination". Discrimination isn't stupid, like I said, everyone does it because it's a social defense mechanism. It is how our minds are built, because man is a social creature. The problem is when we use those stereotypes to judge individuals, without knowing the individual.

"That person is gay, so he isn't going to judge me for being gay," or "That person is black, so he may try and rob me," or "That person is well groomed so he must be wealthy," or "That person is male so he's probably aggressive." These are all examples of stereotypes that, frankly, are perfectly normal thoughts for a person to have, no matter how non-discriminatory they may claim to be. It's acting on those thoughts that are what make the difference. Being friendlier to the gay person, or avoiding the attention of the black person, or begging for money from the wealthy person or appearing non-threatening to the male person, which of these are acceptable and which of these are unacceptable are simply cultural definitions. Does it make it right or wrong? Not really. But none of it's really fair.

And on the offtopic issue, the subject has strayed pretty far from discussing the character's orientation. Notice how you were talking about whether or not anime is a cartoon, or whether or not your gaydar is judging people. That's pretty far from discussing and defining characters. ;)

Not that I'm not just as guilty. I just wanted to point it out.

And UruseiNeo... Yes, I may think you're stupid for not agreeing with me. But that stupidity is limited to this matter alone. Can you claim to think me any less stupid for not agreeing with you? My point is more that "There are two ways, if you don't pick my way, I don't care and I'm not going to bother arguing the point anymore, because you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is."

And I would appreciate it if you would stop trying to instigate me. Goading me into continuing this pointless argument is one thing, but I'm starting to get the distinct impression that your attitude is intentionally insulting.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »
That's ridiculous... There are probably thousands of people who think anime is a cartoon but that would never make them stupid. Most of these people don't watch anime anyway. The problem is that calling an anime a cartoon makes it sound very childish and thus some people who like anime tend not to express it cause they think people will think of them childish. In some cases people DO think of them childish.

I wouldn't call my attitude intentionally insulting, more like I like to argue with you cause it's so fun XD

Offline cata

• Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2008, 12:41:35 AM »
I'm sorry but some examples you gave, Sidzero, made me laugh. As I said, I don't agree with you on the "discrimination, stereotypes" phylosophy.

First: sexual orientation is part of someone. Just like his eye colour or what is his favourite food. Without it, he wouldn't be the same person that we know, just like Lum without the ability of flying or using electricity.

Second: I didn't start the cartoon vs anime discussion. I just expressed my opinion because if everyone's doing it, why can't I? I didn't say: "Hey guys let's discuss about what is the right english term for Anime? Japanese cartoons or cartoons? Maybe none. Share with me your views."

To UruseiNeo: I think we think alike. :)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2008, 12:48:01 AM »
think alike in what? that we like to argue with Sidzero?

I don't know what it is... I don't go into debates with many users here. There's something about Sid that makes it so satisfying to debate against XD

Offline cata

• Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »
I guess it's just that he's good in phylosophy. My phylosophy teachers talks, talks, talks and we never understand a word of what he says so we are always like: "Huh-huh. Yeah. This is easy. Of course I understand. o.o"

But Sidzero, uses his phylosophy knowledge and ideas to convince us. Unfortunately for him, I'm still loyal to my thoughts.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2008, 12:59:22 AM »
Here's a useful phrase when confronting sid's philosophic explanation/paragraph essay:

"wakarimasen yo"

note: you can be substituted by "!"

note 2: "wakarimasen deshita (yo/!)" is also acceptable.

Offline cata

• Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »
Or... This is what I always say to my friends in this kind of situation:

Whatever you say, Miss/Mr. ??  ?? ?? ---> name of the person

In this case it would be:

Whatever you say, Mr. Sidzero.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2008, 01:05:09 AM »
I thought you might wanna learn some more japanese phrases so I included that ^_^