Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Author Topic: Anime or Cartoons  (Read 15787 times)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2008, 07:18:09 AM »
Now that you've had your last word on the matter, can we move on?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:23:04 AM by sidzero »
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2008, 07:23:40 AM »
we were talking about nosebleeds XD okay so what haven't we covered that hasn't already been explained by the anime laws?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2008, 07:48:26 AM »
How off topic can we get? Next thing you know, we'll be discussing who played the best James Bond. I thought we were talking about... you know... character discussion and defining.

PS: Sean Connery

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
Oh... Is it over?

I was having fun watching you argue... XD

P.S: Sean Connery The Best...
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »
Yeah, I was having fun too ^_^
Anyways, before the topic on nosebleeds we were on Shinobu's strength and I commented that it doesn't have to make sense.

Sid replied with "ignore just cause it's a cartoon?" and I jokingly said "how insulting, it's not a cartoon it's an anime" so that's how that started.

So back to the topic, we done on Shinobu's strength?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 07:25:46 PM »
Nosebleeds ...

In manga (and obviously anime too), it's iconic of an excited (probably sexually) reaction. There are plenty of others: the drop-of-water alongside the head as an indication of nervousness, the pratfall "take", etc. Look in Scott McCloud's book "Understanding Comics" (I don't have my copy in front of me); pretty sure that's where I saw these explained.

Hope that helps.  :*)
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »
Arguments like that aren't fun when the same things keep getting said. Repetition is boring.

But yeah... are we just going to ignore it cause it's a cartoon (or an anime for you particular types)? There's nothing in the anime or the manga that gives any sort of explanation, but the fact that Shinobu is often referred to as looking like Kintaro suggests, to me at least, that they might be related somehow. Considering Kintaro was famous for his strength, I think it's a legitimate possibility.

I have a copy of Understanding Comics sitting on my shelf, if you'd like me to look up the symbolism.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
I wouldn't call it "ignoring it" because being an anime/manga is its own explanation.

There are tons of other things that make even less sense than her strength. How can youth be transferred by Ran? Why is it that no matter how much pain is inflicted on Ataru, he always seems to recover? Where does SAKURA get HER physical strength?

All this can be and should be explained by the 100th anime law "anything and everything CAN happen"

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »
Perhaps I just prefer to find deeper explanation than writing it off to some rule of anime. I'm the type of person that likes things to make sense. Considering I'm looking into these things for more than just trying to understand the anime (and considering what I'm doing with my own reimagining), I think looking beyond those so-called rules is acceptable.

BTW, The nosebleed symbolism thing isn't in Understanding Comics, and it isn't in his later book Making Comics either. I know I've seen it covered somewhere in one of my books, but I have far too many for me to look through them all for one thing. Especially something as general knowledge as "In anime, a nosebleed is a symbol that's far more publicly acceptable than drawing an erect phallus, though they both symbolize the same thing".

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
At least two of those things Neo said could be explained without resorting to anime laws. :P

1) Ran sucking youth: just because she says youth it doesn't mean necessarily that she has to suck it from young people, she could simply mean sucking her energy. Ran's an alien, we don't know how her body works inside, but we can all tell it's not like humans.

2) Sakura's figure: There are people that, no matter how much they eat, never seem to gain a pound. I speak for experience, because Im like that myself. If you're taking about her physique and not her "slimness", then that could be heritage. Remember we never see Sakura's parents in the anime, all we see is her uncle.
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
Perhaps I just prefer to find deeper explanation than writing it off to some rule of anime. I'm the type of person that likes things to make sense.

Unfortunately it's impossible for anyone to provide explanations for anime events such as the time traveling, and how a bunch of water springs can change the shape of a human into animals or even the opposite sex!

Demons, digital worlds, aliens, flying, magic, etc.

These are all things that exist in the world of fiction, such as anime. Fiction contains materials that don't exist in the real world. It is BECAUSE the don't exist in the real world that they cannot be explained... for the most part anyway.

You will never find a true explanation.
2) Sakura's figure: There are people that, no matter how much they eat, never seem to gain a pound. I speak for experience, because Im like that myself. If you're taking about her physique and not her "slimness", then that could be heritage. Remember we never see Sakura's parents in the anime, all we see is her uncle.

I said physical strength, not figure

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2008, 09:46:03 PM »
Ran is also an alien. Even more so, she's the alien equivalent of an energy-sucking vampire. If you go by the common Eastern belief in Qi (or Ki, or Chi, depending on who translates it), it's easily explainable in that she drains her victim's Qi.

Sakura isn't abnormally strong (at least not that I've ever seen). Her only abnormalities are her spiritual power (again goes into Eastern beliefs) and her bottomless pit of a stomach. The latter, really, can only be explained (at least to the degree it goes) with anime laws. Though I suppose it's possible to have such a high metabolism that she would NEED that much food, and some sort of strange stomach acid that allows her to digest it all instantaneously. In my own story, I'll be leaving her (and Cherry's) ability to eat as much as she can in one sitting out.

Ataru's immortality is also unexplainable without "anime laws". Personally, I'm just writing it off as a side effect of his curse (the reason why he has such bad luck), rather than as an anime rule.

Time travel is a common science fiction element. The sheer number of explanations provided throughout science fiction dating all the way back to H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine" can give any number of explanations. The way I've seen it work in UY, however, suggests that Oni have the technology to create wormholes in spacetime that affect not just space (as is common in science fiction), but time as well.

The cursed springs explain themselves. They're cursed. Granted, it assumes a belief in magic, but that's really not that uncommon, even in reality. I mean how many people believe that a man can walk on water, raise the dead, and turn water into wine, regardless of how he was able to do it?

I'm not saying we can't allow for some creative licence. If everything had to be purely scientific reality, we wouldn't have any of the best stories that have been written through the ages. But I do think there needs to be SOME sort of explanation for why and how these things work beyond just "Oh, it's a cartoon, anything is possible", even if that explanation is magical or science fiction. But I want to note, that if it is magical or science fiction, then it has to be reasonable based on the context of the setting of the story.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:48:05 PM by sidzero »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 05:32:59 AM »
I've seen Sakura have strength in manga before. There was one chapter about some school game... there were heavy iron paddles? both Shinobu and Sakura were holding the paddles like they were made of feathers while the men were having trouble.

Anyways, we've been off topic for a while.

This topic was intended to discuss the PERSONALITIES of characters. Basically, it's psychologically defining them, I guess.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 06:41:03 AM »
Yes, I remember that story. But if you recall, Ataru was also able to wield the paddle. Ataru, by no means, has any sort of extraordinary strength (at least not any when he's not being perverted). Really, that particular story was hard to explain. Other than that, I've never seen Sakura display any abnormal amount of strength, so I see it more of an exception rather than the rule.

We may be off topic, but at least we're on something that's relevant to the topic (as in: we're actually discussing the characters again).

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 06:58:43 AM »
Well I've pretty offered all I could *sigh* (at least on this specific topic)

It's not that I really cared what the explanation was... but I figured if I could convince you that there was no explanation needed, it wouldn't bug you as much ^_^