Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Author Topic: Anime or Cartoons  (Read 15788 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 04:45:37 AM »
I will repeat that an anime is highly stylized, contains violence (real violence not just coyote style violence) and sexuality.

These of which cartoons rarely cover.

An anime is more realistic in many ways. In a cartoon, most people have only 3 fingers (plus thumb) per hand and there clothes and hair don't really move. In anime, characters have all their fingers and their hair and clothes move VERY realistically.

In a cartoon, eyes are, most of the time, dots (sometimes within the white circle). Anime characters have actual lenses.

The placement of shadows is also a common advantage to anime as a lot of cartoons don't seem to cast shadows.

One of the most important things is that anime originates from japan. All the best stuff comes from japan (figuratively speaking). It is only recently that companies have begun to create shows that have these anime features but aren't considered anime (such as ben 10).

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »
Your idea of a cartoon is extremely limited.

So you're saying such cartoons as "Snow White" (which inspired the entire Japanese anime thing in the FIRST place) aren't cartoons?
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 05:50:04 AM »
Comic book --> Manga...
Animated Cartoons --> Anime...

It's all about prespective I guess... Probably kids in the USA when seeing Sponge Bob... they say its a nice cartoon... But kids in Japan think its a nice anime...
Show a clip or episode of anime to someone that doesn't know what anime is and he will ask you something like... "what's the name of this cartoons?"

Btw, what the heck is this >>>  :bulp:  XD
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 06:10:07 AM »
Your idea of a cartoon is extremely limited.

So you're saying such cartoons as "Snow White" (which inspired the entire Japanese anime thing in the FIRST place) aren't cartoons?

Okay, that's a misrepresentation of my words.

At what point did I say that Snow White wasn't a cartoon? I think even you could understand that Snow White is indeed a cartoon.

What you failed to comprehend is that I said RARELY and I even underlined it so you would see it but apparently that didn't work.

How Snow White does lack some of the points I made earlier such as the lack of proper shadowing.

Now, Disney movies such as Snow White DO have a higher quality (movement, appearance, etc) than most of the other cartoons I'm referring too. But that's just it... it's a Disney MOVIE. Movie tend to have more detail to them as it is only one film where as a show has about a hundred episodes to make.

Edit:

I just remembered another cartoon quality that I don't recall seeing in anime.

Objects that aren't intended to move during the scene looking like they are painting to the background
(like a stack of dishes) where as objects that will eventually move in someway stand out more (like the arm of a knight statue that will wing down)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:12:27 AM by UruseiNeo »

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »
I still don't get why you think animes aren't cartoons. It seems like you think they're something wholly different just because they have a Japanese name and come from Japan. If we called cartoons from Canada something different, would they no longer be cartoons? What if we called cartoons from France something different? And what about animes that are more like what you describe as qualities that anime specifically doesn't have... such as Tetsuwan Atom (just one example)?

My point is that animes are cartoons, but only certain cartoons are anime. I just don't get why you seem to disagree.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
Again, you misrepresent my words. A cartoon made in Canada is still a cartoon, it has all the qualities of a cartoon just as a cartoon made in America does.

My point is that anime has qualities that most cartoons don't and vice versa.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 07:41:36 PM »
So anime isn't a series of sequential art displayed at a speed that gives the illusion of motion? Is that what you're saying? Because that's what a cartoon (of the animated variety) is.

You're just biased against cartoons that aren't Japanese. That's discrimination. ;)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
once again... misrepresentation -_-'''

anyone can figure out that both cartoons and anime are a sequence of pictures played fast etc.

I didn't say that animations not made in japan aren't anime. I'd like to say that Ben 10 is an anime cause it has all the features of one. (The only difference is that Ben 10 wasn't dubbed in japanese originally)

If you're saying that anime is a type of cartoon, then what type of cartoon are shows like "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy" what type of cartoons are these?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »
They're just cartoons.

Think of it this way... Punk is a type of music. Punk is Rock music, but not all rock music is Punk. The Sex Pistols are a punk band, which makes them a type of rock band. Aerosmith is a rock band that is not a punk band. Aerosmith doesn't have to be any specific subgenre of rock music to be rock, but someone does qualify them as a subgenre, that doesn't mean they're not still rock.

Same concept, only apply it to cartoons.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 09:23:45 PM »
Punk is rock music? 0.0

anyways, the music pyramid, according to you, would be:

music
         /           \
       /               \
     rock           others
   /       \
Punk   others(?)

so as you can see, this graph(?) illustrates the music example you gave quite well.

but for cartoons and anime... well I can't even picture it but I'm gonna try:

cartoon
                 /       \
             anime    ???

hmmm... there's a problem... how about this:

TV show -------------------
       /      |     \              |          |
     /        |       \            |          |
anime    real     cartoon   3D       Others(If I missed any)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:27:14 PM by UruseiNeo »

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »
Except CGI and Anime both fall under cartoons (and genres can be combined, example: FF7: Advent Children). And cartoons are not exclusively television shows, as there are cartoon movies. What you don't seem to understand is that Anime is nothing more than the Japanese word for "Animated Cartoon". Ask your Japanese teacher, since you say you're studying it in school. Western notations of anime being something wholly different from western cartoons is just a result of the current trend in "Oooh, it's Japanese, that means it's cool" that we've had for the past decade and a half or so.

But it's rather obvious you're just not going to accept logic in this case, so let's please move on.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 12:09:26 AM »
Dear Sidzero...

TV shows was merely the term I chose to use for the top of the pyramid as I could not think of another. Referring to how anime is "Japanese that makes it cool" this is not so. There are plenty of anime shows that were made by western people.

This brings us back to my previous question. If a show such as Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 are classified as anime, a subcategory of cartoon, what is the subcategory of shows such as The Simpsons and Family Guy?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:16:25 AM by UruseiNeo »

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 03:20:57 AM »
It's like sidzero said, they don't have a subcategory. They're just cartoons.

Let me say that while I agree on the fact that anime really is cartoons, actually calling it cartoons makes me feel weird. We all know animes have much better animations and quality compared to regular cartoons.
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 04:28:38 AM »
What Kroptik said... yeah. They're just cartoons.

Now can we move on? Or do you insist on continuing this pointless debate that's not going to get anyone anywhere because everyone involved seems to have already made their opinions and is either convinced of their correctness, or just too stubborn to change their mind?

The whole fact that there IS a debate on this matter is stupid.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 06:30:45 AM »
actually calling it cartoons makes me feel weird. We all know animes have much better animations and quality compared to regular cartoons.

thank you, exactly ^_^

Dear Sidzero...

The fact that the word "cartoon" is NOWHERE on the page for the definition of Anime means plenty.

Here is a much much better way of looking at it that I think most people will like:

animation
               /          \
           anime     cartoon

(Ignoring additional types) I think it should be nothing more complicated than this.