Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Author Topic: Anime or Cartoons  (Read 15796 times)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07:41 AM »
No chance of that happening.

I need to understand all this stuff so that I can write it properly, remember?

But that's just me (you wouldn't believe the lengths I go to for my work), moving on...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:09:16 AM by sidzero »
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 08:20:39 PM »
BTW, The nosebleed symbolism thing isn't in Understanding Comics, and it isn't in his later book Making Comics either. I know I've seen it covered somewhere in one of my books .... Especially something as general knowledge as "In anime, a nosebleed is a symbol that's far more publicly acceptable than drawing an erect phallus, though they both symbolize the same thing".

Thanks for the look-up. Don't have access to the book right here (I'm at my friendly local Library while computer is taking a dirt nap). Not really sure where I saw it then, but I done see'd it somewheres 'r other... ;)

Sanka!
So Old, I'm Young Again!

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »
No problem looking it up. I have enough reference stuff just sitting around that I've nothing better to do with it. I wouldn't even try to list books that cover the symbolism used in anime, because it's covered in just about any decent, generalized "how-to-do anime and manga" book there is.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
Sidzero's theory has a lot going for it. xD

If nothing else, I got creative license going for me.

Just one more thing about gaydars: only GLBT have it because it's kind of our "tool" to find people that understand us and won't judge us.

So much for fairness and equality, huh? To say someone can't do, or have, something cause they're straight is discrimination. And isn't it a little hypocritical to say you develop gaydar so you can find people who won't judge you, when that's exactly what your gaydar is doing... judging people? It's prejudice either way, and isn't that something we should ALL be fighting?

But if we take this conversation much further down this path, I assure you, it's going to get ugly. So perhaps we should take it away from judging characters as gay or straight when really, it's irrelevant. The rest of you can discuss gay and straight all you want, but I'm staying away from it now. I've had my last word on the matter.

Excuse me? I don't "judge" people whether their orientation is. Like I'm not afraid of being robbed if I'm near to a group of black people. I get along with people that aren't on my "gaydar" and trust me, I don't judge people on the way they look and/or talk. If I did, I would be such an hypocritical a$$! Almost every straight people acuse other people of being gay just for the way they act and dress. Of course there are "butchy" lesbians and "girly" gay guys but NOT every gay people are that way and many straight men are "girly" men. I guess the society wants men to be "machos latinos" and the women to be "barbie girls".

About UY, I am not the first person to talk about homosexual "issues" on the Anime. Anyone that watched the Anime or read the Manga must have understood some of the GLBT references. Ran and Benten's kiss, Ryuu, Nagisa and Shinobu, Ataru & Mendou when Mendou transformed into a girl and Ataru transformed into a girl, too, Chibi's crossdressing. To be honest, I think that RT is a very open-minded person and knows someone really close to her that is related to GLBT.

I assure you that if the conversation gets ugly it won't be because of me, Sidzero. I'm a moderator and it doesn't mean that I'm the only one that can curse. It means that I MUST avoid the conversations to go offtopic and to avoid possible fights between members and censure non-allowed content.

About the Cartoon = Anime conversation...

Anime is VERY VERY VERY different from cartoons. The way they look, their storylines, etc. I can only find a few of similar things about these: they're drawings. They show up on TV.

Cartoons usually are for little kids untill they're 10 or 12 years old. After that age, they lean more to Anime because most Anime isn't childish as cartoons are. Newspapers' cartoons are critizing what's going on on the World and are for grown-up people, not for kids.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:23:36 PM by cata »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
Anime is VERY VERY VERY different from cartoons. The way they look, their storylines, etc. I can only find a few of similar things about these: they're drawings. They show up on TV.

Cartoons usually are for little kids untill they're 10 or 12 years old. After that age, they lean more to Anime because most Anime isn't childish as cartoons are. Newspapers' cartoons are critizing what's going on on the World and are for grown-up people, not for kids.

_/-\o_ thank you very much ^_^

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
You're welcome. I'm just "fighting" for my opinions. ^^

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »
Excuse me? I don't "judge" people whether their orientation is.

Actually, yes you do. You determine whether or not a person is gay or straight or somewhere in between based on intuition. That is a judgment. Whether or not you act on that judgment is a different matter. People judging people is natural human behavior. Call it sizing them up. Call it prejudice. Call it stereotyping. Call it whatever you want, it's a social defense mechanism. It isn't right or wrong. It's how we act based on those judgments that is right or wrong, and that only because we make these judgments without fact.

I guess the society wants men to be "machos latinos" and the women to be "barbie girls".

Social stereotypes are something I've been fighting my whole life. I think the world needs to stop dividing people as Black and White, Gay and Straight, Man and Woman, or whatever other idiotic lines we draw to divide us from one another, and just see all people for what we are... Human Beings. As much as I hate it, unfortunately, I also have to take a realistic take on it, and understand that it's human nature to draw these dividing lines, and even if we got over the popular prejudices, we'd just end up hating each other over stupid things such as the size of our earlobes or something.

To be honest, I think that RT is a very open-minded person and knows someone really close to her that is related to GLBT.

It's possible, but it's also possible that she's not, and that all these references (and the fact that they're treated as jokes) could be just the opposite. Personally, I wouldn't say either way without knowing the truth.

I assure you that if the conversation gets ugly it won't be because of me

What I meant by the conversation getting ugly is that there are too many people who are far too sensitive to such matters, and just as many who are far too insensitive to such matters, and someone is bound to offend someone else, even if they use logic and reason to back up their perspectives. I'd rather just avoid that, because it's likely to be me offending someone. And really, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I know that the truth hurts some people. So I try to practice some tact and try and avoid certain conversations that are bound to offend.

It means that I MUST avoid the conversations to go offtopic and to avoid possible fights between members

Not doing a very good job of it, are you? Both topics you're covering here are rather off topic. :P

The way they look, their storylines

Style and story don't change the simple fact that "Cartoon" and "Anime" are just two different ways of saying "Animated show". Did you know that even in Japan, the things we call cartoons (Such as the Family Guy or Simpsons example) are called "Anime"? Anime is just the Japanese word for Cartoon. It's us westerners that have given it the connotation that it belongs exclusively to Japanese cartoons.

After that age, they lean more to Anime because most Anime isn't childish as cartoons are.

Go watch Adult Swim for a few nights, and then tell me if the cartoons they show are childish, or made for children.

Regardless, I thought we had ended both of these conversations by now.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
"Anime is just the Japanese word for Cartoon."

dude, anime is the Japanese word for "animation" not "cartoon" I even looked it up. Then I looked up "cartoon" and got: shitae, gihyou, ka-toxu-n (I don't wanna know...), giga, etc.

A cartoon is a type of animation. And before you get all defensive again, not ALL animations are cartoons.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »
You're making me want to commit random acts of violence.  }:|

This debate on semantics is pointless, and completely moronic. I quit.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:22:27 AM by sidzero »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2008, 12:30:57 AM »
Thus proving the thesis of one "Doris Lessing" that (more often than not) an individual will eventually give in to the majority, given time.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2008, 01:04:13 AM »
No, it's more like I've already made my case, and we're at a stalemate in that neither of us is going to accept the other's point of view in this matter, regardless of who is right and who is wrong, so there is simply no point in continuing it.

I'm not giving in because I am right, you have the right to be wrong, and continuing this any further is simply a lesson in futility.

So agree to disagree, keep babbling on with your stupidity, or just drop it. It's your choice. But DON'T try and paint me as some weak-willed ninny who's going give in and accept an incorrect belief just because I accept that I cannot win and any further effort is simply pointless.

A comment like the one you just made is no different than doing some imbecilic happy dance and going around bragging "I won I won!" like some complete douchebag.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:07:25 AM by sidzero »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 01:40:56 AM »
no no no no no no NO! I did not say that.

You really need to read her report to understand it but basically, her report as about how the individual will eventually give up even if they don't believe it to be true.

"A typical test, or experiment, on this theme goes like this. A group of people are taken into the researcher's confidence. A minority of one or two are left in the dark. Some situation demanding measurement or assessment is chosen. For instance, comparing lengths of wood that differ only a little from each other, but enough to be perceptible. The majority in the group--according to instruction--will assert stubbornly that these two shapes or lengths are the same length, while the solitary individual, or the couple, who have not been so instructed will assert that the pieces of wood are different. But the majority will continue to insist--speaking metaphorically--that black is white, and after a period of exasperation, irritation, even anger, certainly incomprehension, the minority will fall into line."

It's a very simple matter, one I'm sure you of all people could understand seeing as how much into psychology you seem to be.

"But DON'T try and paint me as some weak-willed ninny who's going [to] give in and accept an incorrect belief just because I accept that I cannot win and any further effort is simply pointless."

Hate to say it dude, but that's basically what happened.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:47:53 AM by UruseiNeo »

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:53 AM »
UruseiNeo and sidzero should meet in real life, for a good old discussion about... everything. xD
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 03:22:11 AM »
It's a very simple matter, one I'm sure you of all people could understand seeing as how much into psychology you seem to be.

I understand the concept of reluctant acceptance and conformity, but I neither accept nor conform. I simply choose to accept a role as a silent minority over a rather insignificant matter, because the argument is simply unproductive.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Anime or Cartoons
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2008, 05:06:04 AM »
I just wanna clear up that her thesis doesn't mean that you disbelieve your original ideal.