Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Author Topic: Cute Animal Characters In UY  (Read 11450 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Cute Animal Characters In UY
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »
Kitsune might be more kawaii if her had actual kitsune style eyes.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline dak

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »
i not sure how you can see those crow is more cute than Kitsune, i know you don't like Kitsune but compare it like that maube too harsh on it, it just my opinion
The only person Lum love is Ataru.
Only thing i can do is watch over her from darkness.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
Kitsune has a big head, his eyes and nose are tiny, there's a lot of space in his head and it empty. He looks like he has a deficient head. Her body doesn't suit the head, I think. His "hair" could be made in a "cutier" way.

Karasutengo have the right measures and their faces are cute, from my perspective of course.

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »
You're all forgetting Dappya, if you can even consider it a "cute animal" that is. XD
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:20 PM »
ummm I wasn't translating it into English, dude.

No, it's called "Transliteration". Japanese language (using Japanese characters, be it Kanji or either of the Kana) doesn't use punctuation. So when you bring it over to Roman letters (Romanji as the Japanese call it), you also have to use Roman-style punctuation. Which means periods and question marks. You used a period after "-ka", I'm just pointing out that it should have been a question mark, not a period.

By that I mean I have the actual textbook to back me up as well as my teacher and ACTUAL nihongo no ryuugakusee

And you think that makes you somehow better? Lets see, I have a girlfriend that lives in Tokyo that's been helping me learn Japanese for the past 2 years (though I started learning the language a year before that). I have 3 "Teach yourself Japanese" books, as well as that stupid Rosetta Stone program and all 3 levels of the Pimsleur Japanese course. I also plan on moving to Japan here in about 2 years once I've got my degree specifically to go teach English over there (and I have connections that are willing to help smooth the process).

I'm not saying I'm better (I'm still illiterate in kanji and the kana, and haven't gotten myself above conversational level), but don't assume that you somehow know more than me just because you're taking some silly little Japanese course at your school. Especially when you have no idea when it comes to me. ;)

(Until I get a straight answer about the usage of "chan" from my teacher or the ryuugakusee, I refuse to use it)

-Chan is very informal. Used mostly only among closest friends, close female friends, children lovers and pets. The equivalent in English to a "pet name". Like calling your girlfriend or boyfriend "Honey" or "Dear" or "Darling", or whatever kinds of nicknames one gives children (IE: my ex-sister-in-law calling my nephew Gavin "Gav"). Wikipedia has a good article on Japanese honorifics.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 01:24:57 AM »
ummm I wasn't translating it into English, dude.

No, it's called "Transliteration". Japanese language (using Japanese characters, be it Kanji or either of the Kana) doesn't use punctuation. So when you bring it over to Roman letters (Romanji as the Japanese call it), you also have to use Roman-style punctuation. Which means periods and question marks. You used a period after "-ka", I'm just pointing out that it should have been a question mark, not a period.

I'm being serious, you don't need a question mark. You CAN, however, replace "ka" with a question mark.
-Chan is very informal. Used mostly only among closest friends, close female friends, children lovers and pets. The equivalent in English to a "pet name". Like calling your girlfriend or boyfriend "Honey" or "Dear" or "Darling", or whatever kinds of nicknames one gives children (IE: my ex-sister-in-law calling my nephew Gavin "Gav"). Wikipedia has a good article on Japanese honorifics.
Yeah yeah, I've been to wikipedia and I read that stuff. But I tried to use it before, apparently it wasn't right.

Look, I'm not saying you're ways are wrong. But the text book and stuff teaches you the FORMAL ways of writing and speaking. In informal conversation, japanese people tend to drop things so yeah, ka can be dropped.

I found the opening for Inukami which is one of the best ways to show the use of "ka" as the song repeatedly asks questions. The English translation has "?" while the Japanese translation has "ka" in both romanji and hiragana. Of course, there is the understandable argument of incorrect translations... oh well

#Invalid YouTube Link#
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:26:42 AM by UruseiNeo »

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 02:07:41 AM »
I'm being serious, you don't need a question mark. You CAN, however, replace "ka" with a question mark.

No, you don't need a punctuation mark, but putting a period is wrong. If you're going to add any punctuation delineating a sentence after "-ka", it has to be a question mark. Grammar is your friend.

But the text book and stuff teaches you the FORMAL ways of writing and speaking. In informal conversation, japanese people tend to drop things so yeah, ka can be dropped.

If you ever intend to talking to any people from Japan, and being more than casual acquaintances with any of them, you'll need to know both formal and informal. Trust me, I know full well how Japanese is spoken by the Japanese.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:34 AM »
I know that you need both, but right now I'm using formal sentences as taught to me. And since I've been giving the people here what I learn, when writing Japanese I simply want it to be correct formally.

As far as period after "ka" I dun really know. And what's the point in arguing something you don't know about right?

You brought us off topic again XD

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »
Yeah stick to the topic. :P

We were discussing kitsune and the karasutengu (and Dappya :P).
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 02:26:51 AM »
I'm illiterate in Kanji and the Kanas, not Romanji. If you're going to use punctuation, you have to use the right punctuation. I hate people who try and teach others and do it wrong. I'm even worse on the teachers when I'm in school, as I'm sure my algebra teacher from my second school would greatly attest (well, he would have before I stopped going to his class because I spent more time correcting him and explaining things to the other students than he could).

As far as going back on topic, is there really anything else that needs to be said on it? If we're going to name all the animal characters, lets name Jotaro the monkey, or Baku the dream-eating tapir...

Baku was awesome.

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »
Btw UruseiNeo... do you have a fetish for kitsune eyes??? XD
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
I wonder which one is true!?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 05:22:49 AM »
? No... I think they look funny though. Kitsune eyes are when the eyes are kinda like \ / only more horizontal and curved, right?

Actually wait... I think I like it better when the eyes go full rainbow shape: n n

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 05:27:13 AM »

You mean like this?
"It is said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from the mistakes of others."-"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 05:36:22 AM »
I opened the screen to this and went "holy sh**!"

Yeah, but he looks like evil. At yet he looks funny with those eyes XD

Offline FallinG_StaR

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 05:45:46 AM »
Well he is kinda evil... LoL