Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 9
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Author Topic: Character Discussion and Defining  (Read 54164 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Character Discussion and Defining
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »
Anyways... which character were we talking about before? Shinobu or Ryuu? (which was the MAIN subject?)

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
Shinobu, I believe...
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
Excuse me but my gaydar tells me this:

Lum - straight
Ataru - Super straight
Megane - straight
Mendou - metrosexual straight
Ran - sexually fluid (which means that she doesn't define herself. she just goes with the flow)
Shinobu - bisexual (I don't know why though =S )
Ryunnosuke - straight
Nagisa - (my bad for mistaking HIM for a HER) straight
Oyuki - gay
Chibi - gay
Perm - straight
Cherry - asexual
Sakura - straight
Tsubame - bisexual
Benten - gay/bisexual
Jariten - straight
Ten's mother - gay
Onsen-Mark - straight

I didn't take these opinions out of any site. It's just what my gaydar tells me. Gaydars aren't 100% accurate and their probability of being accurate vary from person to person.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »
It's just what my gaydar tells me. Gaydars aren't 100% accurate and their probability of being accurate vary from person to person.

so to sum up, it's your opinion XD

cherry asexual XD

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »
UruseiNeo, it's not my opinion 100% because people give vibes and those vibes are basically what attracts you to a person and what repulses you from him/her. Those vibes send information and gaydars analyse that information and guess that person sexual orientation.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »
it kinda sounds like opinion but if you say so.

Why is Oyuki, Chibi, and Ten's mom gay?

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:01 AM »
it kinda sounds like opinion but if you say so.

Why is Oyuki, Chibi, and Ten's mom gay?

It's the vibe I get from them. x) I don't know why, though. =S

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »
Gaydars aren't 100% accurate

I just want to point out how true this is with a rather dramatic example. Despite the fact that I believe everyone is bisexual by nature, and that our sexual tastes develop much like any other tastes, based on experiences, environments, even experimentation (much like our tastes in food, or our senses of humor, or what genres of entertainment we seek), I can proudly claim to be straight. But when I lived in San Francisco, I learned that for some inexplicable reason, I set off gaydar left and right. Maybe it's the long hair, maybe it's the attitude, or the way I carry myself, but people often think I'm gay when the truth is, I just don't find men attractive.

So yeah, gaydar... very unreliable.

And just think how offended any given homosexual would be if a straight man claimed to have gaydar.

That said, I do agree with some of your assessments, though I think more characters are a lot straighter than your gaydar tells you. Examples... Shinobu, which I agree in that I have no idea why but I think she's bisexual. Chibi, I don't know if I'd say gay, but he certainly didn't have a big problem with dressing in drag to be Megane's date in that one episode. Oyuki gay? Not a chance, think back to her first appearance when she was disappointed at how b-Boy had interrupted Ataru's molesting of her. Ten's mother I get more the impression that she's straight, but sworn off men probably because of something involving Ten's father (notice how we've never met him, but he has to exist somewhere). Ran, possibly, but I would be inclined to disagree. Tsubame is a pansy, yes, but doubtful he's gay. Benten, perhaps, but I more get the impression that she's just not interested in anyone (none of the characters would really be her type, except maybe Ryuu, and if Benten were gay, don't you think she would have made a move?).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:21:21 AM by sidzero »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2008, 01:27:10 AM »
Benten is tomboyish... kinda... attitude is tomboyish anyway. I think Ten's dad is the one that breathes fire which Ten inherited. And since she hates pyromaniacs so much, that's why he's not around.

I doubt that she was the one with fire breathing cause she's the sister of Lum's mom right? that makes her MORE LIKELY to have electricity though I've never seen her use any powers at all.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »
I think Ten's dad is the one that breathes fire which Ten inherited. And since she hates pyromaniacs so much, that's why he's not around.

I agree that Ten probably got the flamethrower breath from his father, but I also think that his father wasn't an Oni, hence why Ten has only one horn, instead of two like all other Oni. But I think Ten's mother's hatred of pyromaniacs was caused by Ten's father leaving, and not the other way around. At least that's my opinion (and how, when I get that far, I'll be writing it in UYRemix).

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »
Oooh, that's a good point with the horn. I wish we had more evidence on the matter though, like maybe if we could find another baby oni and check its horns. Cause my first impression was that he was gonna grow the other horn later on.

Hmmm... in Lum's fantasy world... nvm (that wasn't in the manga *sigh*) screw it, I'm gonna say it anyway. In her dream world there were 3 oni kids and they all had 2 horns! Supposedly the were part Ataru's kids, that would contradict ur idea.

However there are many obvious problems with that example XD

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2008, 02:14:11 AM »
I think sidzero is right. If you look at anoything related to Lum when she was young (not a baby exactly, but not still matured) she has 2 horns. Althought it's quite hard to find a good shot in the manga, the horn that's easy to see most of the times in sided, while Ten's horn is centered.

Sidzero's theory has a lot going for it. xD
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline cata

• Otaku
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2008, 02:51:25 AM »
Just one more thing about gaydars: only GLBT have it because it's kind of our "tool" to find people that understand us and won't judge us.

About Oyuki's gayness: even though Oyuki didn't bother at all being under Ataru (sexually) it doesn't mean that she is straight. There are lots of people that are inside the closet and act all straight around people. Oyuki is hard to make her mad and I think she's too goddamn peaceful, sometimes. Therefore, just because she didn't reject a male, it doesn't mean she accepted him. BUT I made a mistake on my list, I forgot about other sexual orientation which is called bicuriosity. A bicurious person is someone that could be either gay or straight but has curiosity for experimenting with people of the other/same gender (depending on the person's orientation). I think Oyuki is bicurious, in her case I think she's gay with curiosity for straight intercourse.

Ten's mother: It's quite obvious that to have a baby, we need a woman and a man. But they don't need to be in a relationship or to love each other. Ten's mother could have been molested and got pregnant from it. There are lots of gay women that got pregnant from men just to be parents because government wouldn't allow them (gay women) to adopt. There are a few gay men cases that kept kids from a female friend of theirs, aswell. This is just to name a few examples of what might happened.

Ran: Well, to be honest my gaydar was like "undefined" because we only know that she likes Rei BUT to achieve her goals she doesn't mind kissing girls and I doubt that she would refused to go any further with one or more. Therefore, I wrote "sexually fluid" because she goes with the flow that suits her (her evil and romantic objectives).

Tsubame: I didn't say he was GAY. I said he was BISEXUAL. They're different. xD He loves Sakura but we don't know about his past. What we know is a bit of his personality which is shy, funny, unlucky, etc. I don't know if it's because of his style and the way that the character fits in the story but I just get the feeling that he's bisexual.

Benten: I doubt she's gay because in an episode Benten thought Ryuu was a boy and she (Ryuu) was acting kind of shy and nervous around Benten. Benten was feeling excited just to think that Ryuu could like her. But when Benten realized Ryuu was indeed a girl, her excitement faded away, which could mean she is straight but, as I said earlier in this post, she could be aswell hiding her emotions towards a girl. When Ran kissed her, Benten didn't pushed her away or ran from the kiss. It couldn't mean anything but I can't be convinced of it.

Tomboy isn't the same as lesbian. Watch out for the steretypes.

Now... About Ten's horn... I have one theory but I need some help. Lum as a kid had 2 horns right? Ten has only one. Rei, which is a male oni has 2. BUT if someone could post a Rei as a kid screenshot we could see if there's a difference between male and female horns.

OMG! I don't think I've written this much ever!

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2008, 03:19:48 AM »
Tomboy isn't the same as lesbian. Watch out for the steretypes.

that was actually my point lol

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2008, 05:07:21 AM »
Sidzero's theory has a lot going for it. xD

If nothing else, I got creative license going for me.

Just one more thing about gaydars: only GLBT have it because it's kind of our "tool" to find people that understand us and won't judge us.

So much for fairness and equality, huh? To say someone can't do, or have, something cause they're straight is discrimination. And isn't it a little hypocritical to say you develop gaydar so you can find people who won't judge you, when that's exactly what your gaydar is doing... judging people? It's prejudice either way, and isn't that something we should ALL be fighting?

But if we take this conversation much further down this path, I assure you, it's going to get ugly. So perhaps we should take it away from judging characters as gay or straight when really, it's irrelevant. The rest of you can discuss gay and straight all you want, but I'm staying away from it now. I've had my last word on the matter.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:09:38 AM by sidzero »