Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Author Topic: Character Discussion and Defining  (Read 53826 times)

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
Re: Character Discussion and Defining
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:47 AM »
whoops Offtopic sorry UruseiNeo Please forgive me. :-[

Okay let's start again, I always wonder If lum really wanted Mendo in The first place. Like is there one way to turn lum away from Ataru, Would ataru fight back, or be back ?
"darling, you give too much thought to what is real and what is not, to what is true and what is false. I realize that is your way, but just this once, accept things as they are. Forego your control, your discipline. and take me with you.

lum plea to kyo final chapter of sins of the family.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 06:45:11 AM »
I think the only reason Lum had even the slightest interest in Mendou was because of that stupid computer. Even so, due to many calculations it was determined that Mendou and Ataru were the same and she picks Ataru... WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT!!!

And as proven in episode 105/106 Ataru would most certainly fight back and HAS fought back. But that was not in the anime, I hear. Although I haven't seen the manga version of this... Lum was again kidnapped by Shingo(?) the electric guy and again Ataru fights to get her back.

Okay that second paragraph had little to do with Lum's thoughts -_-'''

Back on topic, I think the only ways Lum could be turned away from Ataru is if she lost her memory... was greatly threatened (IE Ataru would be killed otherwise or something like that), due to a love potion (I hate those), and maybe... perhaps... if Ataru went so low as to sleep with another woman (like the chances of that happening aren't slime to none >.>)

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 06:54:03 AM »
yes, True and since we're In lum thoughts... How long is she really Going to keep waiting till Ataru say "I LOVE YOU" ?  untill he really on his deathbed ? Maybe he waiting till they Older or Alone...( yeah the latter sound wonderful)
"darling, you give too much thought to what is real and what is not, to what is true and what is false. I realize that is your way, but just this once, accept things as they are. Forego your control, your discipline. and take me with you.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 06:59:21 AM »
She'll wait forever, I think. I'm pretty sure she's determined to keep it up cause she's sure that he has feelings for her.

She probably understands his view on marriage but also believes that in the long run they're end up together. And she is prepared to take advantage of every single situation that involves Ataru expressing his feelings (such as the previously mentioned Shingo episode) to push him closer to her.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
Benten's and Oyuki's parents are left to the readers imagination. Ran's mom is a whole lot more than just mean. But more on those things when and if we get there.

As far as the idea of Lum with Mendo... it would NEVER happen, even if Lum gave up on Ataru somehow. They may be equal according to the horoscope, but they're still different. Mendo's got his pluses and minuses just like Ataru (if they're equal it makes sense). What Mendo has in money, looks, and power, he has to make up for by a loss somewhere else. I think that Lum sees this, and knows that his deficit is in the department of character, and that that is what she sees in Ataru more than anything. The idea that all her little fan club on Earth has that if she left Ataru they would come to any of them is preposterous. If we ignore the fact that she is based on the mythological oni, and oni are bad luck spirits, and Ataru's character is defined by his bad luck, and that that is what most likely was intended to be the draw for her at first... then we're left with the assumption that she sees something in him that she doesn't see in anyone else, and that's why she loves him. And that's aside from the fact that, like most people (not to sound sexist, but it's a trait I've noticed ESPECIALLY in women), she wants what she has the most difficulty in getting. I think a big aspect of her character (demonstrated when she was trying to explain to the one girl before she had to get in the fight with Soban, the one where she was taking drugs to win) is her "never give up, never say die" attitude. Because of that, I don't think she would ever give up on Ataru until she "wins". The game of tag that started their relationship, continues throughout their entire relationship, but this time it's the other way around, where instead of Ataru trying to tag Lum's horns, Lum is trying to tag Ataru's heart.

Although of course, I'm sure things could happen that would cause Lum to give up on Ataru. Though I don't even think that finding him in bed with another woman would be enough to do that, so long as he sleeps with her first. If someone needs ideas for reasons to separate the two for good, just ask, I'd be glad to help them come up with some. The only difficulty in the task is to find something that would sufficiently break Lum's heart enough to cause her to leave, but still be something that Ataru would actually do.

As far as anything Lum has to do with Mendo, she sees him as a friend, nothing more, though he tries more and more to be more. I'm sure once he gets a real girlfriend and gets over his obsession, everything would be cool between them all. After all, despite their rivalry, Ataru and Mendo are pretty good friends. This is a big part of the reason why Lum would never switch to Mendo, she wouldn't want to ruin their friendship. She may be an airhead, but she's not that much of an evil bitch.

Also, episode 105/106 is an anime-exclusive story, but there are many examples throughout both versions where Ataru fights for Lum. Shingo's first story being one, the Matchmaking Party story another, Inaba's first story yet another... the list goes on.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 04:14:53 AM »
I think Lum's attitude towards Mendou is pretty similar to Shinobu's attitude towards Ataru. She sees him as a comrade but won't hesitate to knock him silly if he make a move.

Okay, so we've made a thorough discussion on Lum and her thoughts towards Ataru, Mendou, Shinobu, and Ran. As far as Rei goes, discussion is not needed... she wants him out of her life and preferable into Ran's.

At the beginning of the series, Lum seemed to look at Ten as a baby just like everyone else (except Ataru). By the end she appears to understand why Ataru and Ten fight. Anyone agree on this?
Posted on: March 30, 2008, 08:19:23 PM
I think there was one more thing on Lum I wanted to discuss but I can't quite remember what...

Is there anyone else who wants to discuss something on Lum before we move to a new character?

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 11:37:04 PM »
A very last question: when we speak about Lamù we never consider the possibility that she could make some ERROR in her choices !!!

I know, I'm so egoist when I speak about this but I've tried to image (and who has red "the birth of a star" well know what I'm saying) the possibility that she could make very wrong choices in her life (who would have ever thought that she could become a drug addicted ?!?), carrying on several consequences: I think that this one could also become  a great source of ideas for future tales (both funny or terribles).

I've got that idea and I'm developping in my "universe", what about you ?!?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:29:31 PM by Lum-chan »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 12:30:34 AM »
interesting idea.

I think she makes many errors and that is why she blows stuff up sometimes. But most of the time he just seems to follow Ataru.

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 01:01:26 AM »
A very last question: when we speak about Lamù we never consider the possibility that she could make some ERROR in her choices !!!

I know, I'm so egoist when I speak about this but I've tried to image (and who has red "the birth of a star" well know what I'm saying) the possibility that she could make very wrong choices in her life (who would have ever thought that she could become a drug addicted ?!?), carrying on several consequences: I think that this one could also become  a great source of ideas for future tales (both funny or terribles).

I've got that idea and I'm developping in my "universe", what about you ?!?
same in my universe the fact that she flaw is why I  keep writing
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:29:14 PM by Lum-chan »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 01:04:40 AM »
Everyone has flaws. One of lum's is her cooking and another is her intention to do something nice but due to naivety she ends up blowing stuff up and such.

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »
But we have to consider also the measure of the error: form a little error we can developpe an episode, from one big error we can wrote a full history !!

It doesn't have to be macroscopic, they could be some little happenings but who can conditionate the path of the main character !!!

Even talking as an egoist, just to make some istances: Benten who take a bad wire after a love story or......well, Lamù is going to do one another error.

But, over all, after them, we have also to <<keep the door open>>: in this way we won't have any limit but our fantasy to wrote neverending histories !!!

This is not just for Lamù but for all of the characters (excetp Ataru: is in his nature do do ONLY errors in his life !!!).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:30:46 PM by Lum-chan »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
I don't Lum has any errors that huge aside from the ones we already understand. Anything else would be more of a character development by the fanfiction author than her original design.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
Every character, every person has flaws. We make foolish decisions. We forget things that we would be better off remembering. We make stupid mistakes. We do things for reasons that even we ourselves may disagree with at some point. We are not perfect. Whether we are real or fictional, we are defined by the bad things that happen to us, or because of us. Without the bad, we would never know what good is. These sort of things are what make us who we are.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
So are we done with Lum for now or... I don't really know what ur comment was portraying...

Are you saying that we need not talk about Lum making mistakes because everybody does it or that we SHOULD talk about her making mistakes?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »
Well, if you really want to understand Lum, I'm just saying that you have to understand that characters develop. IE: Lum at the beginning of the series is quite a bit different than Lum at the end of the series because of the things she's learned and experienced throughout. You have to take everything into consideration when trying to really get to know a character well enough that you can really write them well. You have to be able to put yourself in their shoes. But mostly, it was just a random comment to go with all the things being said about her flaws and what not. Of course she has flaws, and a whole damned lot of them at that. That's what makes Lum Lum though.