Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:57:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Author Topic: Character Discussion and Defining  (Read 53830 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Character Discussion and Defining
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:53:15 AM »
As a fan fiction writer I thought that this type of topic would help for all writers. Basically here we discuss a character, one at a time, and talk about that character. Discuss things such as what this character thinks of another character and whether or not the character knows of something.

I think that through this discussion, it will make it easier for writers to understand characters better and their feelings.

Character 1: Lum Invader

Now, we know a whole lot about Lum already due to this site. She's an alien, is in love with Ataru Moroboshi, relatives, friends, cooking skills... etc. But one of the first things I would like to discuss is... how sure is she about her relationship with Ataru.

By that, I mean how sure is she that she will be able to get him to walk down that isle. She has witnessed him countless times doing the right thing but he still chasing other girls.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:54:52 AM by UruseiNeo »

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
Re: Character Discussion and Defining
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
in my personal opinion, ataru will eventually grow up and realize what he is doing, whether it being to late or not is another question. Lum is incredibly patient, it shows, but patients has its limits. Throughout the entire series both Lum and Ataru are growing up, they may not see it because its gradual, but it is happening. Also i keep getting the feeling that they like their little cat and mouse game.
This is Jenga lol :)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »
I agree that they might like the cat mouse game.

Anyways what I'm looking for is... what does she think Ataru is thinking about this.
Keep in mind that what Ataru's view on this is and what Lum THINKS his view on this is can be almost two completely different things, correct?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
Indeed their views on their relationship ARE completely different. This is a good thread. I'm sure many here know I've done extensive studies on the characters of Urusei Yatsura, particularly Moroboshi Ataru (as can be found in some of my previous posts). Lum, being the other major character of the series, is another one I've studied and analyzed pretty deeply. At this very moment, I don't have the impetus to really make an in-depth post on what I've discovered about her, but perhaps later this evening, when I have more time, I will. I'll get back on this one.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
Thank you for the compliment, I'm hoping this thread will help all UY fanfiction writers.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 03:02:25 AM »
Lum, Lum, Lum... the beautiful alien daughter of the alien warlord, Invader. There's so much to say about her. You say there's so much we know about her thanks to this site, but the bulk of what we know about her really comes from UY itself. Everyone is prone to talk about all the wonderful things about her, things we all know so well (things that there really aren't a whole lot of, if you think about it). But she's quite a flawed character. In my opinion, she has so many more negatives than positives when it comes to her personality and overall character. Sure she's got her fantastically good looks and a very nice body to go with them, an undying devotion to her beloved, and no qualms about expressing her feelings for him, as well as her well known powers of flight and electrokinesis. But what else is really so great about her? She's possessive, jealous, and controlling. Those are probably the 3 worst traits for anyone, man or woman, to have when it comes to relationships. Especially when combined with her lack of concern for her partners feelings, despite the intensity of her own feelings. Despite her "absolute love" for Ataru (which could be seen as more of a love between master and pet than an equal relationship between lovers, when looked at from an objective standpoint), she never makes any attempts to really try and understand him, or his feelings, or his point of view (and that's not even counting her lack of understanding of her "darling's" very cultural values and expectations). It's the ultimate hypocrisy of relationships. She expects her mate to stand by her despite all things, but doesn't really expect to do the same in return. True, this could be because she doesn't get what she wants at all, and is only returning his lack of concern, but it could just be because of Lum's personality. She's self-centered. She's obsessive. She's even a little egotistical.

Now, I don't want to seem like I'm being sexist or anything, but these are traits I've noticed in most women (and pretty much all women I end up getting involved in relationships with). She's the typical "crazy girlfriend", despite everyone's want to believe that she's not. Trust me, judging by the way she acts towards Ataru, all the people that think she's an ideal girlfriend, would end up hating her if they actually had that wish, though perhaps for different reasons. She's the type of girl that would walk all over you, if you gave her the opportunity. I've been involved with a lot of women like that, and I've been the boyfriend who's been walked all over, and the jerk boyfriend that doesn't pay enough attention. This is probably why I take such interest in Ataru. Other than the fact that he reminds me of myself at that age (though a more... extreme version of me), I truly sympathize with the situation he's been forced into.

You say you want to know how sure we think she is about her relationship with Ataru, but like with all things, no person is sure about something all the time, despite how sure they may or may not seem. In my opinion, I don't think Lum even thinks about it. I'd think that from her point of view, she has him already, despite his antics. But deep down, she's got a lot of faith that he's going to give up on his "cheating". I also agree that they both like the game of cat and mouse they play. Aside from the occasional crisis in faith, Ataru knows that she's always going to be there for him when he's ready to settle down, whether or not he thinks he's going to settle down being beside the point. I think that fact is quite clearly illustrated by the way Ataru changes his tune any time it looks like that possibility is in jeopardy. He loves her, he's just not ready to be in love with her. Lum on the other hand is the opposite, she's in love with him, but not ready to really love him. Left to their own devices, and if there were no real outside interference, they could very easily end up with that happily ever after that Lum dreams about for them. But that's the whole point of the story, isn't it? To throw things at them and make that dream look harder and harder to achieve. Most of this is on Ataru's end, making crises for Lum's faith in the relationship, despite it seeming that Lum is so sure of their future together. I think, overall, that Ataru seems a lot more sure of their future together than Lum does, though Ataru is a lot less interested in making sure it comes to pass than Lum is.

And that, my friends, is the jist of their relationship together.

I also want to add that if any of the potential fanfic writers out there want some help better understanding the characters of this wonderful series, I'd be more than glad to discuss their ideas with them to see if they really fit the spirit of the characters as they should be (though of course, if their version of things makes for any big things that would change things in the personalities of any of the characters, as happens with most people over time, anything could really go with them).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:05:42 AM by sidzero »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:23:29 AM »
I'm sorry but that didn't fit the format of a 5 paragraph essay. XD

Very good content, contains a lot of good material. I'd like to step away from her interpretation of Ataru for now, we can come back to that if anybody wants. How about we talk about what she thinks of some of the other people.

For example, Shinobu. Now, I think it's pretty clear Shinobu no longer has interest in Ataru. So... does Lum think of Shinobu as a friend now or as a threat? Similarly what does she see the other female characters as?

Try to keep your comments short so that we can go into an elaborate and diverse discussion.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
The relationship between Lum and Shinobu has indeed changed over the course of the series. At first Lum saw her as nothing more than a rival for Ataru's affection, but as Shinobu's feelings for Ataru cooled after Mendo arrived, and Lum got to see Ataru as he is (flirting with many women other than just Shinobu), their relationship warmed up. Later in the series, I think Shinobu had managed to even become Lum's closest earthling friend. One of the good things about Lum is her ability to pretty much become friends with anyone, and I think she's pretty friendly with all the other characters, male or female. Even Ran, despite their history, especially after Ran got together with Rei, and Ran started to see what was really going on with Lum. Ran did eventually see that the bad things that Lum had "done" to her were just because Lum tries too hard and is accident prone. That was made clear in the chapter where Ran got sick, and Lum tried to take care of her.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »
I remember an episode though the one where Lum thinks she's turning into a cow. She gets this thought into her head that after turning into a cow, Shinobu is going to take Ataru and "all her boys"

This could also imply that she likes the attention the other guys give her.

That scene, I thought, was actually a little out of character.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »
Well, in my opinion, the anime bastardized a lot of things. It distorted the personalities of many of the characters, especially Ataru, who in the manga, over the course of the series, came a lot closer to settling down than the anime suggests. Even many of the stories themselves were butchered. For example, compare the two stories that realize Ataru's personality into reality, in the manga it comes from an egg owned by sprites that feeds on human spirit that Ataru finds one day at school cleaning up after a storm. In the anime, this story was completely changed, and instead now it happens on an island owned by Mendo that Ataru and the gang find themselves lost on and it happens because Ataru eats a mushroom. Another example would be the whole "Miss Tomobiki contest" story. Hell, the anime assigns many roles that originally belonged to Mendo to the Stormtroopers (who in the manga disappeared completely after Mendo arrives), just because the writers liked them too much. This is why my own story was to be based more on the manga than the anime, the manga was far better and better defined characters, in my opinion.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »
let's talk about her view on Ran. Lum clearly seems to want to avoid Ran, at least in the anime. Recently I read the manga chapter for the one where Ran is sick. In the anime Ran's dolls kept bugging Lum SAYING that she didn't want her to come but made it obvious that she did. In the manga the dolls meant what they said... don't come... but Lum went anyway thinking it was just Ran's way of saying she wanted company.

So two different views. In one Lum wants to stay completely away from Ran, in the other Lum is more considerate. Both result in the same way however.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
Well, they're childhood best friends. Despite whatever fear Lum may feel of Ran because of her repeated attempts at revenge, that doesn't change. And if you grew up with someone like that, who else is going to know you better? Or vice versa?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »
I still think that Lum tries to avoid Ran when she can. She thinks that whenever she gets involved with Ran she usually gets yelled at, Ataru gets involved, Rei sometimes shows up, explosives, she ends up being the "bad guy" to Ran, etc. So basically it always ends bad when she gets involved with Ran.

She does however hope with with all her might that Rei will get together with Ran. (I don't think this was official in the anime and I haven't read all the manga yet)

Offline kyo

• Big Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:17 AM »
All good points my friends.  ;D I has a few thing I want to get off my mind as well.

Who The hell is Oyuki and Benten parents ? (sorry for the lang but this is important.) I mean they Never seen and I hate to find Out they dead.

Is Ran mother really, You know "mean" ? I mean I have a Few fanfic with her in it.

and The last thing... We gotta name Mrs. Invader and Mr. Invader... I cant' keep calling them that... It freaking annoying lol.
"darling, you give too much thought to what is real and what is not, to what is true and what is false. I realize that is your way, but just this once, accept things as they are. Forego your control, your discipline. and take me with you.

lum plea to kyo final chapter of sins of the family.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 06:13:59 AM »
That was actually very off topic since we are currently focusing on Lum and her thoughts towards other characters. Yes Ran's mom is very mean. Other than that we don't know about any of Lum's Friends' Parents. We can focus on naming the Invaders later.