Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:11:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Author Topic: Character Discussion and Defining  (Read 54165 times)

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Character Discussion and Defining
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »
Good question... probably a romantic honeymoon... somewhere... is Hawaii good?

Anyways... Let's talk about Ataru some more...

let's see... well he's very sneaky and knows some ninjitsu... How about his view on marriage? Now he avoids it with Lum but when it was Shinobu who wanted it he was all for it.

Why might this be?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2008, 01:55:56 AM »
Because Shinobu wasn't always eith Ataru, didn't control him must of the time and must of all she don't give him the great zaps of Lum instead of her huge strenght.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:49:15 PM by Lum-chan »

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2008, 01:59:03 AM »
But what I'm taking from this is that he doesn't hate marriage then. So what exactly IS his view on marriage?

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2008, 02:03:27 AM »
Terrifying, is idea of being only with one women is absolutly unlogical for him that always have wished for an harem.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2008, 02:09:41 AM »
Terrifying... yet he'd marry Shinobu?

I'm wasn't talking about marrying Lum, marriage all together.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
Just because I'm "alone" here (I'm the only girl in the Forum most of the times) it doesn't mean that guys are better than girls and stuff like that.

I don't think anyone was saying that one was better than the other. When I say things like these, I don't do it to be sexist, I do it to acknowledge a basic psychological difference between the genders. It's not discrimination it's fact. The two genders are wired differently and on top of that, quite unfortunately, society still programs gender biases into us from an early age no matter how "modern" and "equal" it tries to claim. It's ok to be different, and it's ok to acknowledge those differences. And yes, men suck as much as women.

Not to say she won't be strict if she sees him acting like his usually self towards another woman, but that she would try to do things for him.

Like she doesn't try (and fail) to do nice things as is? I know you want all this wishful thinking to come true, and to imagine Lum as some sort of perfect woman (although she was created to be perfectly imperfect), but it just makes no sense. People don't change for people just because the label applied to the status of their relationship changes. This is true NO matter who you are. You can't stop being yourself just because of some little thing like marriage. I've seen a lot of friends and family go through it and it doesn't change people. It just changes situations.

Here's a good question: Would Lum let Ataru have a bachelor party prior to the wedding? I can see Ataru now begging for one.

Assuming they do get married, I don't see why not. That's not saying whether or not she wouldn't spy on him at it somehow, but I'm sure she'd let him have it. And I'm just as sure that she'd have some sort of bachelorette party.

You really think that they would have a honeymoon anywhere on Earth when there's an entire galaxy (or universe, depending on the translation) that they can play in?

How about his view on marriage? Now he avoids it with Lum but when it was Shinobu who wanted it he was all for it.

Why might this be?

Well, I think that has a lot to do with Shinobu (possibly, there's no hard evidence, but the behavior and story strongly suggests it) being Ataru's first love. We tend to go out of our ways for those who become the objects of our first experiences with love. If you read that earlier post I made about Ataru and Lum's relationship, the reason why he's against marrying Lum should make pretty clear sense. Chalk it up to experience.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Shinobu's less aggressive relationship tactics (though it doesn't hurt the matter any). I've explained elsewhere on this board how I see the whole evolution of Ataru's fantasy harem... that being that he hadn't even considered the harem idea until Lum came into his life (notice how the only person he knew before Lum that he fantasizes about being in his harem is the girl he was with before her).

Anyway. If anyone wants any further clarification on those ideas, feel free to ask, I just tried keeping this fairly short, because I don't think anyone actually even reads my posts when they start getting long. I don't blame them, I'd skip them too.
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline GiovaneDinamitardo

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »
I have to admit: a good and carefully definition of a character is a true source of inspiration !!!

In fact, when I write my tales, they comes immediatly clears: it seems that the character are really alive and I have nothing to do that talk to you about the hell that they're doing !

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »
Here's a good question: Would Lum let Ataru have a bachelor party prior to the wedding? I can see Ataru now begging for one.

Assuming they do get married, I don't see why not. That's not saying whether or not she wouldn't spy on him at it somehow, but I'm sure she'd let him have it. And I'm just as sure that she'd have some sort of bachelorette party.

Wow, didn't expect you to agree on that. Suddenly I feel very satisfied with my idea pitching.

You really think that they would have a honeymoon anywhere on Earth when there's an entire galaxy (or universe, depending on the translation) that they can play in?

That is a good point but since I don't know many places outside Earth, Hawaii was the best thing I could think of.
Posted on: April 12, 2008, 11:41:23 PM
Also, I don't want to be the only one asking questions.

Anyways... what do you guys think would be the absolute best thing that Lum could do for Ataru, excluding letting him girl-hunt/ have a harem, that would make him happy?

Similarly, vice versa excluding marriage?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2008, 07:03:23 AM »
Wow, didn't expect you to agree on that. Suddenly I feel very satisfied with my idea pitching.

Well, they're just a part of the whole wedding ritual, so I don't see why not.

That is a good point but since I don't know many places outside Earth, Hawaii was the best thing I could think of.

That's when you make something up. I would think that in a galactic society, they would have an entire "paradise" planet that functions as a tourist location. Perfect for honeymoons and what not.

Anyways... what do you guys think would be the absolute best thing that Lum could do for Ataru, excluding letting him girl-hunt/ have a harem, that would make him happy?

Similarly, vice versa excluding marriage?

What Lum could do for Ataru is to wear that old yellow ribbon for a week. She wouldn't have her powers, and Ataru would get to have her as a "normal girl" for that week. After all, for quite some time, that was what he wanted.

What Ataru could do for Lum (possibly in return, better even at the same time) is have him give up girl hunting for a week. Just long enough that he can give her his full attention and she can pretend they're a perfect happy couple for that long.

Now of course, I wouldn't expect either to want to do one for the other, but I'd think they'd both agree on those terms as a compromise eventually.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
I do like the ribbon thing. I think she would feel nervous about trusting him to do that but I am positive that Lum has her ways of making take it off if he won't. Knowing her she'd probably go for the guilt option.

Question does it say anywhere that denies HER putting the ribbon on and then only she'd be able to take it off right?

I think that would be a great solution for the nocturnal shocking problem so then they can sleep together without Ataru wearing that suit!

BTW... Ataru had finally realized that he's "screwed either way" in that same episode but afterwards he goes back. What happened?

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2008, 07:16:43 AM »
The guilt option is her most likely tool if that were the case. Either that or grabbing nearby blunt objects and bashing his skull in (he's immortal, he'd live through it).

No, there's nothing anywhere that says she can't put it on herself, though I would think it should be that way. It just makes sense to me that she wouldn't be able to do it, which could lead to that becoming a plot device to show Lum's trust in Ataru.

I agree with the nocturnal electricity thing (actually, one of my earliest posts on this board was about that very thing... check the alternate endings board). But I would also think that another good solution would be to have her undergo some kind of training thing where she learns to better control her powers (it would also provide an opportunity to come up with new powers for her). I was going to put a sort of gap in the storyline for UYRemix, taking place after the second tag match story, where they both leave for a while to go train... Lum with her powers and Ataru with his ninjitsu (and you'd never believe who I was going to have training him).

And what do you mean "what happened?"

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2008, 07:21:27 AM »
Well in that episode he was like all for sleeping with her, and I am almost 100% sure he thought they were going to "sleep" together, but by the next episode he's back to normal...

Unfortunately... I wouldn't want to have Lum try to trust Ataru with the ribbon in my story. I know I have control over what happens but I... I just don't trust him enough... it's weird...

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:59 AM »
I don't think Lum would trust him either. He'd need a lot of character building to get them to a point where Lum WOULD trust him. No little short story would get them there.

And in my opinion, the story where they sleep together, ends up being weak, when it could have been a turning point in the series (I was going to write it having a more profound effect on their relationship when I got to that point in UYRemix). Not to mention the story only covers the first night, when they were to have, I think it was 3 nights alone?

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »
That I think was another episode itself.

Just checked. She said a 2-day ONE night trip.

Here's a thought... is it possible that Ataru's a virgin? cause when the show started he was 15 and I think that's too young...

Offline veehive

• Psychotic Fan
  • dare to be intelligent
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2008, 05:04:54 PM »
"... is it possible that Ataru's a virgin?"

I'd say yeah, at the very beginning of the series (a provocative comment by Ten in ep. 5 makes me think Ataru is virginal at that point).

And, not to sidetrack your question UruseiNeo (I'll happily wait until it's been answered fully), but allow me to propose as the next question: when did Ataru LOSE his virginity? >:)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 05:07:03 PM by veehive »
So Old, I'm Young Again!