Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Author Topic: Cherry... what do we REALLY know about this guy?  (Read 6458 times)

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
Cherry... what do we REALLY know about this guy?
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »
First off, I know this is the "Favorite UY Character" forum, but it needs to be said that Cherry is NOT my favorite character (I won't say who is, but I think time will tell that one eventually). But, since this is as close as it gets to a character discussion forum, here is good enough for this thread.

Now, on to the topic. Cherry. To me, it seems that of all the major characters in UY, he is the single most undeveloped one of the lot. There's no story (anime OR manga) that tells of any kind of backstory for him. So what DO we know about him?

He's annoying. He's definitely mysterious. He's a midget (excuse me, vertically challenged). He's a monk, who apparently, has taken a vow of aestheticism, despite the fact that he seems to have no qualms about stealing and extorting food from people (especially the Moroboshi family). He does, however, seem to have some significant level of spiritual power (as evidenced by his ability to create a fourth dimensional zone, despite that it didn't go as planned, and that he has a spiritual guardian seemingly equal in power to his niece Sakura, who throughout the series demonstrates a spiritual power of her own of a rather high level). He also seems to be a skilled surfer who "loved the sea, but now he loves it even more". He has a sister (whether younger or older, I don't know) who looks like she could almost be a twin, though his niece, her daughter, looks nothing like either of them. He also seems to enjoy pestering Ataru as much as he does Sakura, though he gets along quite well with the neighborhood cats (and ghost-cats).

As I said, compared to the other major characters (and even some of the minor characters), he seems extremely underdeveloped. For my own purposes, I need to know as much about this guy as I can. I may have missed, or forgotten some things about him. Now, I've got a really good idea of how I want to further develop him for my UYRemix doujinshi. I've got ideas that could explain quite a lot about why he is the way he is, AND his ulterior motives regarding his "latching onto" of Ataru (hooray for artistic license). So far, there's only one minor thing about what I know of his character in the original series that my re-envisioning changes, and that's regarding his relationship with Sakura (but it ultimately changes more for Sakura than it does for Cherry). But as far as changes to Cherry goes, I want to try and deconflict as much from his original character as I can. So, in order to better know his character, I'm starting this thread, with the hopes that anyone else can point out facts that I may have missed about him.

I have plenty of time for this, and I'm patient. Most of my ideas won't play out for quite some time in the series (and the big ones, not until well after it stops being a reinterpretation and becomes a continuation beyond the second tag match). So take your time, and share with me everything you can think of in regards to Cherry. :)
Excuse me, have you seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it...

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
Re: Cherry... what do we REALLY know about this guy?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
You forgot one of Cherry's favorite technique, the Randomness Explosion!

It's quite a powerful technique

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Kroptik

• Otaku
  • Kroptik, prince of Tecas.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »
#54 Law of Old Man Comic Relief
Comic relief comes in the form of a short, bald, wise-mouthed dirty old man or alien. Or the combination of any two of those traits.

First Corollary: If old man is present, and is acting too horny, stupid, etc., there will invariably be an old woman to whap him over the head with a frying pan or something.

That's Cherry. ;D
The only different is in UY's case there's no old woman to whack him, but Sakura/Ataru will do it if they're close.
Signatured postponed until I cba to make a new one. x.x

Offline Forgotten_Lum

• Casual Otaku
  • UY shall never be forgotten
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
cherry also has a cat fetish, this i know because of that fat cat he has living with him and in the episode where ten bought those balls that supposedly allowed you to see your chosen one, granted the balls showed who was your worst possible choice and cherry saw a catgirl, but i think this does show that somewhere in his stomach...err...heart
This is Jenga lol :)

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »
You forgot one of Cherry's favorite technique, the Randomness Explosion!

It's quite a powerful technique

Also he have a technique called "The Clone Manuever" that create more 7 clone of Cherry and all together can made the "Clone Explosion"

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »
Ah yes, the ever-wonderful Ninja Appear/Disappear trick, and the clone technique. Pretty interesting that a monk seems to have mastered two well known ninja tricks, isn't it? Yes, quite interesting. :)

Posted on: March 03, 2008, 06:50:30 PM
On a side note, I don't really know why this thought crossed my mind, but now that it has, I have to say it. Does Ryuunosuke's father remind anyone else of the Joker from Batman? Not only are they both out of their flibbin' minds, but they both kinda look alike, too.

Offline Jataru

• Psychotic Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »
kind of, if he have clothes like Joker and is face painted I would garantee it.

Offline cata

• Otaku
  • Cata, the Valkyrie Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:39:15 PM »
I remember watching an Episode where Cherry discovered Sakura's powers. But this episode was focused on Sakura and not on Cherry.

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 02:40:29 AM »
Aye, in every single story that involves the past, and Cherry is still there... he's exactly the same. When Lum went back in time to try and imprint young Ataru as well as the memory of Sakura's powers manifesting. Mysterious is cool and all, but the mysteries usually expose themselves in stories... except for Cherry.

I did, however, remember one more thing. How I forgot this one thing I don't know, because it was a big part of what inspired my idea for a backstory for him. Somehow he has managed to claim a large piece of land around a mountain (and in the anime, includes a lake) as his "training grounds". This is where Ataru & co. found a bunch of prehistoric fossils that Ataru arranged into a weird bird, which Lum used her technology to bring to life. It was a good demonstration of the fact that his... abilities go well beyond that of just a mere Buddhist Monk.

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:50:45 AM »
I believe in the skiing episode, cherry was also in the snowy mountains for spiritual training. Then he said he would bring Megane's group down to the base of the mountain come spring. I think he lied cause the next episode was a valentine's day one which is still winter but then again I don't know if he appeared in that episode or when the next time he appeared was so maybe he really did wait till spring to return.

URUSEI YATSURA EPISODES!!! At www.youtube.com/Neo1Fox & www.veoh.com/users/NeoYatsura

Offline Necron 99

• Psychotic Fan
  • How do I shot web?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »
http://youchewpoop.com/wiki/index.php/Cherry

This should provide us with plenty of info on Cherry. :)
I wonder what's for dinner? --King Harkinian
Compared to Goemon, we're not very cool! --Arsene Lupin III

Offline Cosmic King

• Global Moderator
  • Keeper of the UY Flame
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 01:42:12 AM »
Excellent information (it even includes separate articles on lum and ataru),but methinks some of us *cough*necron99*cough* helped with the article and their pics *cough*same as the ones in the gallery and necron99 collection*cough*

Good work,anyways

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:45:10 AM »
Did you make the inuyasha profiles, necron? if you did then you must REALLY hate that show

Offline sidzero

• Psychotic Fan
    • www.sidzero.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 02:49:36 AM »
This should provide us with plenty of info on Cherry. :)

Hmm. Quite... enlightening. Kinda reminds me of an uncyclopedia entry.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Offline UruseiNeo

• Casual Otaku
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 04:57:40 AM »
I went to that site, typed in Urusei Yatsura, and the only result was info on a band called Urusei Yatsura.

For some reason... I hate this band. I think it's because they are called Urusei Yatsura so I was thinking 'Hey, maybe their videos have clips' well so far they don't! Why the hell d they call themselves that? Do they even know about Urusei Yatsura the ANIME? Or did they think that they had really created a new name?