Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent topics

[December 15, 2023, 09:30:30 PM]

[December 06, 2023, 09:24:00 PM]

[September 29, 2023, 09:13:58 PM]

[June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM]

[February 25, 2023, 09:15:07 AM]

[February 01, 2023, 08:57:58 PM]

[December 30, 2022, 09:48:45 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:49:07 PM]

[December 17, 2022, 07:29:07 PM]

[December 01, 2022, 11:32:27 PM]

[November 26, 2022, 12:16:37 AM]

[November 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM]

[November 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM]

[November 06, 2022, 01:52:53 PM]

[November 06, 2022, 12:41:22 PM]
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 42136
  • Total Topics: 1983
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 389
  • (October 25, 2018, 03:41:03 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Author Topic: Theory regarding the 'ending' as we loosely call it  (Read 24801 times)

Offline Oldfan

• Disgruntled Old Fan
  • Casual Fan
Re: Theory regarding the 'ending' as we loosely call it
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 02:57:22 AM »
- I'm not sure on the likelihood we'd get that anyway considering the obvious decline in quality of the art of the OVAs.

- That's cause despite what the characters may think, Ataru after a certain point isn't really unlucky (at least in that the physical punishment he takes, which he laughs off anyway most of the time, pales in comparison to what he was lucky to be given), and really has probably the greatest accomplishments in the manga of most of the characters.

- Ashita no Joe was a masterpiece. Though depending on the person, the show might come off as slow paced or a bit of a slog to get through initially. I got into boxing series here from watching actual boxing. I grew up with Cassius Clay turned Muhammad Ali as my inspiration, and I cried like a baby when he passed away.

- Takahashi just never seemed to have any desire to make Kurama (and other recurring characters) be more than one-dimensional. There is a distinct lack of males around Ataru's age in the series that are actually major characters.

- Fortunately for Ataru (and Lum too lol) Ataru's character and personality benefit greatly from Lum's presence, even though he'd likely never credit her publicly for a good portion of his change.

- Nozawa is a legend for sure.

- The best cameo from Ranma I can think of was the one where Ataru and Lum appeared on the cover title of a chapter to celebrate Fumi Hirano getting married.

I've been very remiss in being here, been stuck watching InuYasha with the GF now that she's done with UY plus I've been playing catch-up on Ippo and some other series. Also got pulled into watching Ah! My Goddess (or Oh! if you don't worry about the translation gaffe). Of course, I had to pull down the Goddess manga for the GF as well. Still not a fan of InuYasha, loved Ippo, Goddess definitely has some good moments to it, the music of that one is pretty good. That and trying to end my life as a contract worker and go back to being a normal office slave as well as seeing if I can make my mind say it doesn't matter I once broke my hand and try and draw again and teach myself Japanese.

I probably have to say, the animation in Inaba, Goat and Cheese, and Howl at the Moon were the best overall. I'd use any of those for another OVA.

Ataru, despite everything, more or less is the only one that gets to say he got the girl in the end. Maybe not 100% to my liking, but I'll take what I can get.

Snagged Ashita no Joe over the weekend, managed to find it all. That'll be on the upcoming queue to watch. I do know from the era, Joe was a slower paced story. The manga was around before I was born, back then you didn't need explosions, weapons, monsters, or nudity to get people's attention to watch something. The anime started just shortly after I was born, it has a story, that's all I care about.

Kurama's best appearance was likely when she thought Mendou kissed her, only because the story involved more people and it was fun to see just how much worse than Ataru Mendou really was. He couldn't get the nerve up to kiss her, he can't handle the talking about things in public, and in the most funny moment of the beginning, when he saw Kurama in the sleep chamber his reaction was priceless.

First and foremost thing he learned from Lum, just what love and friendship really are. By the time the show is over, she's pretty much ona course to being his wife, and she's also his best friend.

Speaking of Fumi, she had a twit cast broadcast this weekend. She was oddly quiet on UY's 39th anniversary, but when she broadcast over the twit cast addon for twitter, she was very talkative about UY. She did extended speaking as Lum, she played music from the show and she definitely said happy birthday to UY as well as 'Lamu' as it sounds coming from her.
I remain unhappy that they didn't give the right closure to the relationship and we have to 'decide for ourselves' if Lum and Ataru got together.

Offline Seiryu

• Casual Fan
Re: Theory regarding the 'ending' as we loosely call it
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »
- I'm not sure on the likelihood we'd get that anyway considering the obvious decline in quality of the art of the OVAs.

- That's cause despite what the characters may think, Ataru after a certain point isn't really unlucky (at least in that the physical punishment he takes, which he laughs off anyway most of the time, pales in comparison to what he was lucky to be given), and really has probably the greatest accomplishments in the manga of most of the characters.

- Ashita no Joe was a masterpiece. Though depending on the person, the show might come off as slow paced or a bit of a slog to get through initially. I got into boxing series here from watching actual boxing. I grew up with Cassius Clay turned Muhammad Ali as my inspiration, and I cried like a baby when he passed away.

- Takahashi just never seemed to have any desire to make Kurama (and other recurring characters) be more than one-dimensional. There is a distinct lack of males around Ataru's age in the series that are actually major characters.

- Fortunately for Ataru (and Lum too lol) Ataru's character and personality benefit greatly from Lum's presence, even though he'd likely never credit her publicly for a good portion of his change.

- Nozawa is a legend for sure.

- The best cameo from Ranma I can think of was the one where Ataru and Lum appeared on the cover title of a chapter to celebrate Fumi Hirano getting married.

I've been very remiss in being here, been stuck watching InuYasha with the GF now that she's done with UY plus I've been playing catch-up on Ippo and some other series. Also got pulled into watching Ah! My Goddess (or Oh! if you don't worry about the translation gaffe). Of course, I had to pull down the Goddess manga for the GF as well. Still not a fan of InuYasha, loved Ippo, Goddess definitely has some good moments to it, the music of that one is pretty good. That and trying to end my life as a contract worker and go back to being a normal office slave as well as seeing if I can make my mind say it doesn't matter I once broke my hand and try and draw again and teach myself Japanese.

I probably have to say, the animation in Inaba, Goat and Cheese, and Howl at the Moon were the best overall. I'd use any of those for another OVA.

Ataru, despite everything, more or less is the only one that gets to say he got the girl in the end. Maybe not 100% to my liking, but I'll take what I can get.

Snagged Ashita no Joe over the weekend, managed to find it all. That'll be on the upcoming queue to watch. I do know from the era, Joe was a slower paced story. The manga was around before I was born, back then you didn't need explosions, weapons, monsters, or nudity to get people's attention to watch something. The anime started just shortly after I was born, it has a story, that's all I care about.

Kurama's best appearance was likely when she thought Mendou kissed her, only because the story involved more people and it was fun to see just how much worse than Ataru Mendou really was. He couldn't get the nerve up to kiss her, he can't handle the talking about things in public, and in the most funny moment of the beginning, when he saw Kurama in the sleep chamber his reaction was priceless.

First and foremost thing he learned from Lum, just what love and friendship really are. By the time the show is over, she's pretty much ona course to being his wife, and she's also his best friend.

Speaking of Fumi, she had a twit cast broadcast this weekend. She was oddly quiet on UY's 39th anniversary, but when she broadcast over the twit cast addon for twitter, she was very talkative about UY. She did extended speaking as Lum, she played music from the show and she definitely said happy birthday to UY as well as 'Lamu' as it sounds coming from her.

- Hey great to be back online. My internet was out for some time.

- Take it easy, you don't want to overdo it.  Inuyasha was never my thing personally either. I've been trying to catch up with Ippo myself but I've also been playing catch up with BnHA.

- Agreed with that. Absolutely loved the drawings and animations of those. Date With a Spirit is probably the worst OVA. Catch the Heart had an odd design choice but it fit with the humor they were going for, which is largely why I love Catch the Heart.

- Sometimes all we can do is take what we can get. Ataru will make a fine husband some time later in life I guess lol.

- It is fairly slow at points definitely. Like how it takes some time before he even begins to fight professionally as he spends a decent time in prison. But it's a beautiful story that I love.

- Agreed with that. UY works well with an ensemble cast in stories like those. Even funnier that Ataru (despite being heavily restricted by the others) still beat Mendou to the punch and got to kiss Kurama again.

- Very rarely would you ever end up marrying your best friend. Ataru sure is one lucky dude.

- God bless Fumi.